lunch

• Updated: Tue, January 08, 2013

• Reported By: Bethany — Hudsonville Michigan United States of America
Colonial Van Lines --Indianapolis
101 West Ohio St Suite 2000 Indianapolis, Indiana United States of America

Colonial Van Lines --Indianapolis Want to Move across the country and not have your items or sanity? Consider Hiring Colonial Van Lines!!! Indianapolis, Indiana

*Consumer Comment: Report Nationwide to DOT's FMCSA's Enforcement Div

*UPDATE Employee: Dear customer

On July 19, 2012--I found out I was offered my first position as a Nurse in Texas. I was elated and excited to start the process of moving. After getting several quotes from a variety of moving companies, I spoke with agent Howard Zimmerman. He was upbeat, nice, personable and ensured me that Colonial Van Lines was my best bet for moving. With my trust firmly in his hand, I placed my 800 dollar down payment.

From then on, I had only a few minor questions (do you wrap my mattress? what materials do you provide...what materials must I provide?). Howard responded within a reasonable time, but suddenly I stopped receiving responses. Unknown to me, Howard had been fired (How could they fire the only decent employee they had?!?!?). I did not know this until Sean Boxer (Quality Assurance Representative) contacted me to confirm my move.

After this point, no agent was assigned to me, but Sean Boxer assured me that everything would be fine and that I could call customer service with any problems. I thought "Oh great, well--I don't expect any problems". Oh boy, I sure wish I would have persisted in asking for an agent to be assigned to me!

Meanwhile, Sean Boxer also told me that the driver would call me Monday (Aug 6th) about whether my items would be picked up Aug 7th or 8th. Monday rolled by with no call. That night, I tried to call Colonial Van Lines; however, they do not have a 24 hour hotline for problems. As soon as their call center opened, I called (9am). I soon found out that NO driver had been assigned to me and that she would have to call the dispatcher (Joe, AKA Joseph). She told me she would call back in 1-2 hours.
At exactly 2 hours, Gwen calls me back and tells me that she does not know when my items will be picked up. She said she would call me back in an hour or two.

After 2.5 hours, no call. I promptly call Gwen to see when I would move. This occured another 3 times that day with out any idea on when my items would be moved and no apology for the inconvience.

Finally, at 2:30pm--Joe (The dispatcher) calls. Several times--he says "wait stay on the line" then he hangs up on me. He never called back, and I would have to call him back every time. He said he did not know if he would be able to pick my things up today or tomorrow. I thought "Okay, that stinks, but whatever".

I did not start to become angry with this company until Joe yelled at me without listening to what I had to say. Sean Boxer said that I could ask the driver/dispatcher about an approximate drop of day when he called, so I asked Joe when he thought the driver would be dropping off my things. He became VERY angry over this. Several times, I attempted to explain (but he would talk over me) that the reason I wanted to know was because only ONE day (out of the whole 10 days they could drop off my things) I would be out for 3-4 hours for a pre-employer physical exam. Without this exam, I would not be able to start orientation the following week and would have to wait 2 weeks to start my job. Joe then threatened to fine me 250 dollars/day+ hotel accomodations for the drivers if I would not be when they showed up.

At this point, I was in tears due to stress and humiliation I was feeling from this company.

Finally, my mother had to call Gwen (because when I cry it's just not good...no one can understand what I'm saying) to see if we could switch from Joe to another driver. After we explained our reasoning for switching, Gwen did not OFFER an apology but simply threatened that she did not know when I would get my items if I didn't move with Joe.

After my mother repeatedly asked for someone new to move me, she hung up just as frustrated with the company as I was and near tears. We finally asked how much it would cost for us to drop the entire move and rent a uhaul. They said we would nto get our down payment back of 800 dollars. Being a new graduate, I could not afford to lose 800 dollars. I asked Gwen if I could have some time to think about whether I would leave or not---and rudely she responded "Well I have to let the driver know!". I told her the driver is only 20 minutes away form my house and still has 2-3 hours of work. She still said " I need to let the driver know". I said "well, does your company want my money or no? Because I really feel at this point your manager would prefer that you give me a few minutes (after you wasted my entire day) to think about this.

Finally, we decided that going with Colonial was my best bet because of other situations happening in the family. I called Gwen back and told her we would still move with the company. And the process for figuring out when the company would come began again. Every hour, I called Gwen to see if she knew when they were company. At 6:30pm, Gwen leaves the office. At 6:15pm, Gwen assured me the driver would call me very soon to let me know if they would be coming....no call has come so far. As of now, I do not know when the company is coming and no apology has been given to me for the hassle I have gone through today. Instead of my last days being special and memorable as I leave my family and everything I have ever known--it has been one of the top 10 worst days of my life.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/07/2012 03:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Colonial-Van-Lines-Indianapolis/Indianapolis-Indiana-46204/Colonial-Van-Lines-Indianapolis-Want-to-Move-across-the-country-and-not-have-your-items-923886. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Colonial Van Lines --Indianapolis

Report Nationwide to DOT's FMCSA's Enforcement Div

AUTHOR: suzannel - (United States of America)

Please report all complaints regarding Nationwide Relocation Services to the DOT's Fed. Motor Carrier Safety Admin Enforcement Div. They have new authority now to fine movers and they are especially concerned about the numerous and horrendous complaints reported against Nationwide and its affiliates. I reported my complaint to them as well as to the Consumer Complaint Agency.  They are now being investigated and no doubt will be fined in the very least. They held my load, which included many valuable original works of art and my art business equipment along with my physical therapy equipment for a healing neck injury, for 38 days. I called Move Rescue, the Consumer Complaint Agency, and  the FMCSA Enforcement Div. and they were able to get Colonial Vanlines to deliver my goods. I was moving from Mich. to Oregon to retire.  I have moved several times in my life as a medical professional and artist and never experienced problems until recent years when deregulation set in and large companies went unregulated.  It used to be a binding estimate was just that, binding to the end with no price changes after pick-up. We have to stop the tremendous fraud that this company and its affiliates are involved in on a daily basis. They are ruining people lives and their futures and don't care.

Dear customer

AUTHOR: Colonial Van Lines Relocation Divis - (United States of America)

We have located and reviewed your account and we noticed unfortunately that we werent able to execute your relocation. We do appreciate your business and we regret that we werent able to render services within your requested moving dates and to hear of your displeasure in the interaction between you and our company.

Given the nature of our business, the moving industry is vulnerable to last minute changes which sometimes obscures how we function as a company. Unforeseen circumstances are liable to occur causing delays in pick up and delivery of your shipment, but make every effort in performing our customers' moves within the estimated moving dates as contracted and try to accommodate our customers despite the possible delays that may occur. Unfortunately, at times our efforts prove futile. On 8/9/2012 you requested the dismissal of our services and your reserved move with us was canceled that same day. Your funds were returned to the credit card on file on 8/23/2012.

We most certainly value your business and our office apologizes for the unsuccessful efforts in providing services for your recent relocation and the inconveniences it may have caused. We will keep a record of your posting as we value your shared feedback and it will definitely assist in our current efforts of improvement to our company entirely. We do hope you will allow us the opportunity to change your mind if the opportunity ever presents itself in the future. If you wish, you are able to contact our office regarding this response at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,