Complaint Review: Colorado, Sanford Brown Cec Schools Aiu, Gibbs Online Colleges, University Career Schools

• Submitted: Sat, January 14, 2006
  • Updated: Mon, January 09, 2012

• Reported By:landover Maryland
8401 Corporate Drive Landover Maryland 20785 New York, New York U.S.A.

Colorado Technical University - Sanford Brown Cec Schools Aiu, Gibbs Online Colleges, University Career Schools Nigel director ripoff schools will close soon due to pending lawsuits New York New York

*General Comment: Colorado Technical University Online

*Consumer Comment: ctu isn't as bad as you say

I entered Colorado Technical University in North Kansas City, MO in April 2005. It didn't take long to see there were many issues with the school and the proprietary company that owns the NKC school and many others throughout the US. Anyone looking to attend a proprietary university should thoroughly research that entity, and the parent company prior to making a financial commitment.

I enrolled in Network Administration at the very beginning of CTU's transition in name change from Sanford Brown. The admissions rep assured me the name change was good and the primary reason for the change was to provide a higher level of academics to their students. Sanford Brown was a college-level school and CTU became a university-level facility.

I spent two 11 week terms at CTU and started into my third term with a 4.0 GPA. At the end of my first term while taking a final exam in college math, some students would approach the teacher, ask him whether a particular answer was right or wrong, the teacher would tell them if it was wrong, have them sit back down and do the problem again until they got the right answer. Then he graded and recorded their final grades. I was amazed! After voicing this concern, this matter was solved but it should never have taken place to begin with

The second term got even better. The Department Chair for IT "taught" a class on Linux. Once a week for four hours we spent the majority of our time doing very little. A couple of evenings we actually looked at the Linux book and tried entering the commands to achieve the same results as in the text. Most of the time, the text results we were trying to duplicate couldn't be duplicated because it was an "Administrator function" and were were merely "users".

We loaded the same software on four different occasions. We were never given a test, a quiz, or received a mid-term assessment as to where our grades stood. At the 10th week, the Department Chair stood in front of class and told us our grades were based solely on absenteeism at which point, another student and I went to the President the following day.

On the 11th week, after the President spoke with the IT Department Chair, the teacher provided us with some phoney list he'd compiled about how we were graded. The grades, how and when they were achieved, were news to us. At the end of the term I was suppose to know something about Linux. I'm fortunate to be able to spell it.

An online career fair was held through Career Services in mid-October. It was promoted through the student portals for a month prior to the fair and looked good until the days it ran. There were 24 companies listed, 3 companies with actual times for an interactive chat with the student. I went to each link and found 1 job in the KC area. Most jobs were low-level paying jobs in other states. I could work at Starbucks in NY as a barista, a line cook in MA, or a restaurant server in OH. It does look good when CEC touts services available to their students in front of shareholders and prospective shareholders though.

Career Education Corporation's (CEC) stock went from $75 a share to $35 a share in the course of a year due to bad press. The name change from Sanford Brown to CTU is common practice with CEC. When a school's reputation is as poor as Sanford Brown's was, they merely open under another name, do away with that entity and apply for accreditation. Sanford Brown was consistently losing their accreditation, even though accreditation is solely regional.

CEC's shareholders' annual meeting notes are available online and I urge you to visit the site. CEC is facing investigations in many states, has had or may still have investigations being conducted by the SEC, and the Department of Justice to name a couple. At $32,000 for an Associate's degree, do not invest your money and future with a company that conducts business in this manner.

My education is partially funded by VocRehab and after advising them of these issues and MANY others at CTU in NKC they advised me to withdraw immediately. Of 36 credit hours I will only be able to transfer 9 to a university that actually teaches networking and is credible in the metropolitan area. (CTU did away with the Network Admin. program and has only Computer Systems Support in the Associates.)

I could go on and on. This is merely the tip of the iceberg! I have heard from friends in new york and maryland that the Sanford Brown insitutes in those areas are close to being closed due to multiple lawsuits pending. Go figure once a sanford brown, medical or technical, always a sanford brown!! STAY AWAY! this place is way messed up!

Deborah
Independence, Missouri

Carl
landover, Maryland

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/14/2006 03:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Colorado-Sanford-Brown-Cec-Schools-Aiu-Gibbs-Online-Colleges-University-Career-Schools/New-York-New-York/Colorado-Technical-University-Sanford-Brown-Cec-Schools-Aiu-Gibbs-Online-Colleges-Univ-171778. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Colorado, Sanford Brown Cec Schools Aiu, Gibbs Online Colleges, University Career Schools

#1 General Comment

Colorado Technical University Online

AUTHOR: Dave - (USA)

I have obtained an ASCJ through this school and I am working on my BSCJ. Yes they have issues as you say but that must have been a brick and mortar school. We're not seeing problems like you mentioned at the online campus. The only issue I have is all the technical difficulties that sometimes appear with the stupid servers. We'd not have this issue with a brick and mortar school but when the server goes down we have 0 access to anything remotely or majorly or mid range related to our education and it sucks. Wish I was at the main frame right now cracking the whip because it's the third time in the last 3-5 months the servers have gone down do to what ever it is. GRR. But other wise CTU is a great school and my GPA shows it. I must be learning something to have hit the deans list twice so far and pretty close to being on the Chancelor's list soon. So you tell me Mr. Complainer what's the real issue here? Seems to me that you were at a Brick and Mortar campus. Yes I'd report my professor the same way you did for pulling a fast one like that and it's not accademic honesty when they do. Seems to me you got cheated. But mind you your original post was posted over 7 years ago. Things must have changed by now.

Current CTU online student: nameless.

ctu isn't as bad as you say

AUTHOR: Ctustudentanna - (U.S.A.)

I must admitt that I do not know you or your situation. However I have just begun my college carrer and ctu has been nothing but wonderful. If you came at a bad time while administration was changing I am sorry. Unfortunately I find what you said extreemly hard to believe. I have a test EVERY week, I do get midterm grade evaluations, and I do understand where and how my grade came about. I am learning so very much, more than I could have without going to school. All and I must stress ALL college and universities come with a certian amount of risk, if you were unprepared for that risk, it is your problem. If it was as easy as you say how did people flunk out of classes. CTU is very strict about grades. Although some things are lax it depends on the teacher. Just like in High School some teachers do things differently. It all really depends on you though doesn't it? I think you are using this as an excuse to drop out of school. My classes are hard and challenging. I am not one who likes things easy and I would be the first to complain if they were. They are not. School is fast paced and wonderful. Perhaps while changing over from Brown or whatever to CTU they incured some difficulties. However teachers, admin, and everyone else has been changed since then. Perhaps that is why your teacher didn't seem to care. I don't know. But since you did not get your education, maybe you don't know better. I am sorry for your difficult time in school. But I know if I had a 4.0 I would not drop for anything. Also the credits are transferable. I have checked this so I am confused when you say they are not. Do you even know the difference between regionally and nationally accreditated? I am in the Surg Tech program and as far as I know there is no computer program at ALL. sorry if this sounded rude but I was offended when you said this was a bad school. I know folks who have graduated have wonderful jobs and are very happy. Hope you don't find any "problems" with your new school

Thanx

This was the oppion of a current CTU student with honors
CTU student Anna