Complaint Review: Columbia Telecommunications Group - Fry's Electronics

• Submitted: Wed, May 12, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, May 13, 2004

• Reported By:Miami Florida
Columbia Telecommunications Group - Fry's Electronics
174 MILBAR BLVD FARMINGDALE, New York U.S.A.

Columbia Telecommunications Group - Fry's Electronics Rebate Ripoff aka Mail Fraud - File a MAIL FRAUD FORM TODAY FARMINGDALE New York

*Consumer Suggestion: Rebates are more of a bait and switch ploy than anything else.

Myself and a friend bought merchandise from Fry's Electronics in the San Francisco Bay area. We both bought walkie-talkies based on an advertised rebate from Columbia Telecommunications Group. Neither of us have received rebates.

From reading the other ripoff reports here, I'm glad I haven't received rebates - I'd hate to also be out the bounced check fees!

Once the 14 weeks for processing had passed, I called them regularly. For a while, they were answering their phones and I was told each time they were backlogged with rebates and that the rebate program had far exceeded their expectations. But that my rebate was in their database and scheduled to be sent "this week." They even went so far as to give me reference numbers on both my rebate and my friends.

Now I get now response from the rebate center. Business hours or off-hours, it doesn't matter. I get a message saying the voice mailbox is full. Today I called their corporate headquarters and asked for the person at the company responsible for rebate programs. I was told the only responsible people are at the 800-889-7434 number (the rebate fullfilment center).

When I pressed for a person within the company, I was promptly hung-up on. And it wasn't an accidently hang-up. She said, "There is nobody here that can help you, good bye. "

I have filed a Mail Fraud form with the United States Postal Service. They base investigations on the number of complaints. So go fill out their form! You can find it through the USPS site at https://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/MailFraudComplaint.htm. It might be too late for us, but if enough people fill out the form, maybe we can stop them from continuing to rip people off via the rebate scam! It only takes a couple of minutes to file the report online.

Jerry
Miami, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/12/2004 04:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Columbia-Telecommunications-Group-Frys-Electronics/FARMINGDALE-New-York-11735/Columbia-Telecommunications-Group-Frys-Electronics-Rebate-Ripoff-aka-Mail-Fraud-File-91202. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Columbia Telecommunications Group - Fry's Electronics

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Rebates are more of a bait and switch ploy than anything else.

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

Have read many posts about ripoff rebates, including solutions from the ED. of this site. The only way we will solve this problem is to stand up to the owners and managers of these stores. I tell them if they wish to sell the item to me, is to lower the price by the rebate price otherwise I won't buy that item. It has worked at several stores including Best Buy where I have purchased 2 computers in the last 8 months. As I said before, car dealers don't require you to mail in rebates on $10-20,000 purchases, why stand for it on a $5-10 or more item. Rebates are more of a bait and switch ploy than anything else. Don't stand for it.