Complaint Review: Columbia Telecommunications Group

• Submitted: Wed, May 12, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, September 30, 2004

• Reported By:grapeview, wa, 98546 Washington
Columbia Telecommunications Group
174 Milbar Blvd Farmingdale, New York U.S.A.

Columbia Telecommunications Group ripoff bouncing rebate checks Farmingdale New York

*Author of original report: Fry's paid the rebate

*Consumer Comment: There's 2 police jurisdictions in Farmingdale

*Consumer Comment: Maybe contact the police in their city?

*Author of original report: response from FTC

Same as everyone else. I bought a battery charger at Thanksgiving and after several telephone calls to the rebate center, finally received my check in April. I deposited it in my account and just got notification it was returned so now I'll be out returned check fees on top of it all.

If I write hot checks, I can go to jail for fraud - There must be something that can be done to Columbia. Can we file a class action suit against them?

Deb
grapeview, wa, 98546, Washington

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/12/2004 07:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Columbia-Telecommunications-Group/Farmingdale-New-York-11735/Columbia-Telecommunications-Group-ripoff-bouncing-rebate-checks-Farmingdale-New-York-91228. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Columbia Telecommunications Group

Fry's paid the rebate

AUTHOR: Deb - (U.S.A.)

I was contacted by Fry's and explained the problem. I gave them the receipt number and item code and got a check in the mail within a week. Kudos to Fry's, even it they are late in supporting us.

There's 2 police jurisdictions in Farmingdale

AUTHOR: Neil - (U.S.A.)

I called the police jurisdiction that I thought handled Farmingdale, but the guy kept asking for where the actual company is located because he said that there's two jurisdictions in Farmingdale. Also, I doubt that they will handle this matter, but I have family that lives in Long Island and I will be taking this company to small claims court to get my $75 rebates + $30 bank fees + $500 in damages including court fees. I've been reading about how to go about the small claims court and I feel that I'm entitled to more than what's owed to me because of my time and efforts on trying to resolve this problem.

Maybe contact the police in their city?

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

To you people who have experienced hot checks from them, maybe complaining to the police department in their jurisdiction will help? I'm not sure if this would help if you don't live in the same city as they do, but just a thought.

response from FTC

AUTHOR: Deb - (U.S.A.)

Just fyi. I filed a complaint with the FTC. Here is their response. Everyone should file with the FTC. Maybe that will get some action.

Thank you for your correspondence to the Federal Trade Commission regarding rebates offered by companies. Rebate offers and coupons are, among other things, a form of price competition. While some manufacturers or sellers may conclude that simple price discounts will attract customers, others may believe that a rebate or coupon program will be a more effective means of advertising substantial savings to consumers. In general, no statute enforced by the Commission addresses the decision to adopt a rebate or coupon program. Thus, promoters of rebate or coupon plans use their independent business judgment in offering such plans to distributors or to the public. However, if a company decides to offer a rebate or coupon plan, it must fully disclose the material terms and conditions of the offer and must provide the promised rebate. If a company systematically fails to do so, it may be engaging in deceptive or unfair practices in violation of Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act.

Finally, you may wish to raise your concerns with the manufacturers or companies who offer rebates or coupons, since many companies appreciate comments from the public about their products and how they are marketed. You should also note that many companies hire independent companies to administer their rebate or coupon programs and are eager to hear about their performance.

The Federal Trade Commission acts in the public interest to stop business practices that violate the laws it enforces. Letters from consumers and businesses are very important to the work of the Commission. They are often the first indication of a problem in the marketplace and may provide the initial evidence to begin an investigation. The Commission does not resolve individual complaints. The Commission does, however, act when it sees a pattern of possible violations developing. The decision to open up an investigative action depends on how widespread the practice is, how many consumers are hurt, how much harm is done, and how much evidence we have. We must also determine how much staff time and effort we can put into each case, and we must concentrate on the most urgent.