Complaint Review: Comcast Cable

• Submitted: Thu, June 13, 2002
  • Updated: Sun, April 11, 2010

• Reported By:Waldorf Maryland
Comcast Cable
Post Office Rd Waldorf, Maryland U.S.A.

Comcast Cable Incompetent Management, Techs and Customer Service refuses to reinburse costs for their techs destroying our property. ripoff liars victimized us Waldorf Nationwide *UPDATE

*Consumer Comment: Garage Door Opener Damage

*Consumer Comment: I work for directv, not comcast, but..

*Consumer Comment: Holy Complainers Batman!!

*Consumer Comment: Dale and April I'm writing this slowly because I doubt you read very quickly

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: I quit because they are an incestual (sp?) pool of managers who only promote there family memebers

*UPDATE Employee: I have seen many issues like this

*Consumer Suggestion: Trex ..Go back to your job at Comcast and defend them all you want

*Consumer Comment: Comcast is a nightmare company to deal with no matter where one lives

*Consumer Comment: Never Sympathize with Comcast

*0: The overabundance of morans

*0: Update*

*0: Thank you, Ursula

*Consumer Suggestion: Local Francising Authority

We have been complaining to Comcast since we moved and got their digital cable. Most the time the guide didn't work therefor we couldn't use the parent lock on programs, the box would freeze up off and on, the paid channels like HBO, etc would be out a week here a week there, and someone over here has their internet service and when they would go on line, we (and all our neighbors) would see what they were doing on the net or lose the cable all together. We have has several techs come out that stated, "We don't know whats wrong with your cable. It's probally old lines or something." But nothing was ever done.

In March we had a tech come out that did nothing but talk and talk and talk, eventually we made an excuse that we had to leave to get him to leave our home. The cable was working when he left and we went and rented 2 DVD's that night. When we tried to watch them, nothing. We took the DVD's back unwatched and found out that the tech had messed with our DVD player and VCR (which their not supposed to do) and wired everything in backwards.

The following week we were having the same problems again, this time the box completely frooze up. Two techs came out. They replaced the box and said that the problems with our cable was, there wasn't enough power in the cable line, so he went outside for about 15 minutes, came back in and said that the outside box was reading the proper power. He then asked my wife if she had a spitter or anything. She told him no, she knows for a fact that myself and another tech had searched the home to see if maybe the original homeowners had something in the home like a splitter. He then asked if he could go in the attic and the garage, my wife said no, you'll have to come back when my husband is here, she told them she didn't want them going through her home, she also made it clear that she had a new car and other things in the garage so she didn't want them in there specifically. The men said ok and said they were leaving. My neighbor was also there at the time, I might add that witnessed everything. One of our sons looked outside and asked why they were at the outside of the garage, my wife told him she didn't know and 5 minutes later they came back in. Thsi time he checked the power again. Again he said they were leaving, and went downstairs, they never went out the front door for another 10 minutes. They went into the garage after being told not to and my wife told them she was calling their office. She did and left a message for the tech supervisor, Allen.

I can home and hit the garage door remote button. I heard a grinding sound and saw smoke, it turns out, one of the men had locked the garage door, in turn it burnt our garage door motor up. Again my wife called Comcast and asked for this man, Allen, she again was told he wasn't there and left a message. After leaving messages for a week, we had no choice but to replace the motor @ $550. We also e-mailed Comcast's office as to the situation. Finally 2 weeks later the man Allen called, he said the tech told him that he was following a line into the garage so they had a right to go in there, my wife said I don't think so, there is no line in the garage. Then he calls back later and says, the tech said you told him he could go into the garage, again my wife said, no I would have never let them in my garage and told him why, then she told him that she had a witness to all this. He calls back later and says, the tech said he never went into the garahe, but he tried to open it from the outside and it was locked. She told him first off, he had no business what so ever to touch my garage door. Secondly, that would be how the door got locked by your tech. Third and formost, This is the third time today you've called me and each time you've changed your story. He said he'll talk to him again and call back. The following evening, he called and left a message that stated, he wanted to resolve this issue asap, to please call him back. We did, then he says, he decided that it wasn't the techs fault. We asked for his DM's name and number, he refused.

My wife had called their customer service and got that information. She left a message for his DM, her name was Lelia True. She seemed really helpful at first. My wife explained everything and she say, ok, she'll find out what's going on and call us back, in the mean time she wanted my wife to forward ALL the e-mails she sent to Comcast. She did. Then Ms. True sent her and e-mail that she would like a copy of the recite so they can pay for the motor. My wife went out of her way and left her a copy. We didn't hear anything form her for over a week, finally my wife called her and left a message. She calls back and leaves a message stating, that after her investigation, that she feels they won't reinburse at this time. I get on the phone and get a hold of her and she tells me that all the different stories again, then I tell her I do garage doors for a living, by your tech pulling up on the outside handle, that's how it got locked in the first place, well, all she wanted to do was argue and cover her butt so I asked for the main office phone number. I called it, it was a fake number. Then I get the real number from their customer service. I called and told them the situation. The woman said they would look into the matter and call us back. They never did, a week later we get a message from the Waldorf office, a woman calling on Lelia True's behalf becaus eshe was again on vaction. She says, Lelia said that she made it clear that we are not responsible for your motor and her decision stands.

I don't know who the Hell this woman thimks she is? We sent a letter to their main office, enclosed was copies of of the e-mails and messages work for word. We haven't heard anything and my wife called their main office on Saturday, they instructed her not to pay the bill until this was resolved and that more that likely, they would just credit the account that amount anyway. Well, on Monday, our cable was turned off. My wife calls the Waldorf office and gets put on hold for 20 minutes then is told their transfering her to the supervisor. She gets a voice mail. She calls back and is on hold for 35 minutes, finally someone gets on the phone and tells my wife that the supervisor is in her office and she would transfer her. Again a voice mail. Then my wife calls back, this time Lelia True is in the background and says that she over rules anything the main office says, so the cable will not be cut back on, and she isn't giving us our money.

I sent a e-mail to their main office again and told them that if it is not reinbursed and our cable is not turned back on we will file suit against them. We were also told that we would recieve a desent deduction from our bill because of all the problems, that too hasn't happened.

Maybe Comcast should start hiring more competent people. No one there seems to know what the hell their doing and screw things up. Comcast will pay us back, and if I have to take it to court, I will and not only for the expence out of our pocket, but 3X that amount (in accordance to law) because of all the bull crap we've had to put up with.

Dale & April
Waldorf, Maryland

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on ComCast

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/13/2002 09:16 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Comcast-Cable/Waldorf-Maryland-20602/Comcast-Cable-Incompetent-Management-Techs-and-Customer-Service-refuses-to-reinburse-cost-22626. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Comcast Cable

Garage Door Opener Damage

AUTHOR: JLS - (United States of America)

I have been Servicing and Installing Garage Doors and Openers for over 23 years and I will have to agree that a $200 Opener from Home Depot would not be the best. But I would like to know what Garage Door Co. requires you to only purchase from them for your own home? and at that they couldn't give you a better deal than that? you don't get an employee discount? I have worked for several Door Co's in the Cin. OH area over the years as an employee and a contractor and have always gotten a discount. You should have been able to get a good quality Opener from your Co. for around $150 to $200 and Installed it your self? But I don't know. Also what Co. did you work for ( Precision Door )? they are the biggest scam but that is another story. I have Comcast myself ( Internet and Digital DVR service ) I can't complain about the quality every thing works great and I have had no problems with the service in the 6 years I have had it. But I do agree about the billing and customer service. My bill has all kinds of little extra charges what was supposed to be $99 a month some how ends up being $145 a month. When I call them and ask how come they tell me that the package is $99 a month but didn't include the other charges that they say also applied to my bill before I upgraded. In short I can't get a straight answer on what they are for and can't get them removed. But then again I don't really push it I really like the quality of the service. I have had in the past Time Warner cable and Dish Network and they were always going out losing signal or getting bad reception I in over 6 years have never had my cable or internet go out or get bad reception with Comcast. To wrap it up I beleive you could have saved money on the Opener by doing it yourself and that Comcast billing and Customer service sucks but the service quality is good in my area. Have a nice day.

I work for directv, not comcast, but..

AUTHOR: Vance - (U.S.A.)

I think you're full of it. From the sounds of it you just demanded something you weren't entitled to, then when finally you were given an alternative solution (them crediting you to shut you up while telling you it was a courtesy) and yet you still think you are entitled to more. I see you are still with Comcast..

I fully believe you and your wife are crooks who have an ignorant understanding of how companies operate. You provide a monthly payment for monthly service.. and in exchange receive services OFFERED (not demanded).

Comcast has no contracts/commitments yet you still utilize their service? If you had legitimate claims against them you would cancel service and find it elsewhere, not continue to fight them over something that's not their fault.

I seriously hope you switch to DirecTV and give me your DTV account number so I can call you and make adjustments... I would set you straight in a heartbeat.

Holy Complainers Batman!!

AUTHOR: Jt - (U.S.A.)

Wow, today I discovered the posts on this website made by Dale. If I owned, operated, worked, or even lived in Waldorf Maryland, I would run in the opposite direction if I saw this guy or his wife coming. I happened to come across their IHOP 'complaint' and then did a search of all complaints from Waldorf.

Apparently these two have issues with Circuit City (which they continued to patron even after having been supposedly ripped off), Comcast Cable, Ford, BJ's Bulk Food Store, IHOP, Enterprise Rent-a-Car, and someplace called Hecht's? Department Store.

In all of these complaints these two complain about asinine circumstances and discredit themselves by attacking other posters who rebuttal and contradicting themselves through their long, drawn-out, nonsensical responses. Seriously, in the Hecht's one they complain about the location of the plus-sized section? Really? What happened to businesses being allowed to operate how they want? It's a private business in a capitalist economy and free country.

Dale and April I'm writing this slowly because I doubt you read very quickly

AUTHOR: ADAM - (U.S.A.)

So the workmen secured your property before they left. If they hadn't, you would have claimed you had been robbed of some very expensive and non existant property due to their negligence. By the way, Dale dont you install garage doors for a living? I smell a rat. A very incompetent rat out to steal some cheese. You both make me want to puke ,but I wouldn't want to waste a good king crab dinner over you theives.

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Lance - (U.S.A.)

I feel for the current employee, I probly used to work with him. I am an ex employee of sac comacast and I quit because they are an incestual (sp?) pool of managers who only promote there family memebers. I worked there for 3 yrs and went no where. The employees are hard workers and it is upper management you have to worry about not the person who ansered the phone or the person who came out to intall your cable etc. The intall person was probly a contrator anyway and doesnt even work for comcast. I worked in tech support and there is only so much they would allow you to do. Kate Brown is the one you need to call and ask for. attack her, she was the boss and got to here management position casue of who she knew. I have sence done great for my self making 2x the money and I am now in management but do you think they would have considered me there (i am not spell cking either, lol....) Cable problems ask for "George" the tech manager he is great! Your story doesnt sound good to me either and I dont work there anymore nor do I really like the people who run that branch. The company as a whole is good though and will take care of those who deserve it. happy trails

I have seen many issues like this

AUTHOR: Comcast - (U.S.A.)

I admit I do work for the company but I agree your story is hard to believe. But at the same time it's not. I have seen many issues like this. I have worked for the company for over 5 years. We do have lots of problems with our management playing favorites and black balling others. We have repeatedly threatened to walk out because of the slave labor and they way we are forced to treat our customers. Here in Sacramento we are very customer friendly but we are forced to give unexceptable customer services due to the demands of meeting stats and quota with no wages to pay our bills.They give us information at the last minute like rebuilds, planned outages, and audits or incorrect info. Yes, they give us free cable and high speed internet services but only because I wouldn't pay for services that treat their customers the way we are forced to. I have been searching for other services for my brother other than dish cause they suck too but I guess if I had a choice to who gets to screw me, I guess it'll be Comcast. We now a Operation called "Get serious", where we target people with concerns like yours and try our best to resolve them. I am proud to say it has been helping the customers, but still for all our efforts to save the customers like yourself. I am still not receiving any type of pay increase. Only dry promises and dreams that may next month we will start to get commission.

So just as screwed that you may feel, please understand the next time to talk to a comcast employee we get screwed everyday we clock in.

#7 Consumer Suggestion

Trex ..Go back to your job at Comcast and defend them all you want

AUTHOR: April - (U.S.A.)

Trex I dont know what kind of world you live in, but you apparently dont have a clue. First off, I know for a fact my children did not do this. You may not know where your children are or what theyre doing, but I do. Secondly, go to Home Depot and get yourself an opener for $200. Lets see just how long that lasts. Third, I had no choice but to have the company I worked for to install this opener. This is in my employment contract and yes that company was a BIG scam company and charged quite a bit for the motor and installation. But a good motor plus installation will run you at least $350. And finally, I have been hanging garage doors and openers for 11 years, how long have you? Exactly. They do smoke, they dont just stop, the motor burnt up, duh!

Go back to your job at Comcast and defend them all you want, but facts are facts. It didnt matter is we had paid $1000 for the motor to be replaced, this was Comcast fault, their problem.

As an update, we no longer deal with Comcast we went to Direct TV. After they gave up a credit, each month we were seeing charges for things never ordered, never seen and weird fees. After battling these fees each month and the digital box still not working, we told Comcast to shove it. Hopefully others will follow in our footsteps.

One more thing for Trex, my extremely poor spelling makes you believe Im a free loader, you need to get a life. I can guarantee I am and will always be more educated than you. Just to prove my point, your ending sentence was, Obviously uneducated, but wanting what education brings. Did you even read that? That just goes to show how uneducated you really are. What education would I be looking for? How to screw customers by Comcast? Yeah, real smart.

AUTHOR: Ms J - (U.S.A.)

Comcast is a nightmare company to deal with no matter where one lives and their billing must come from somewhere out of this world. They have charges on their bills only they know where and how they come up with. And believe me you can't get them to change any of it.

I couldn't take the messed up billing, cable service or the problems anymore after fighting with them for over 3 years. I finally went to Direct TV and I love it. Don't get me wrong, I do have some problems, but "NOT" like I had with Comcast and besides that I get even more channels for less. I still use "them" for internet service only because I want a faster service, if I had another choice I would go with another company.

Satelite internet still has some problems with black outs, so I'm not ready to go with them just yet.

But, even with just the internet service their billing is still a "NIGHTMARE." The billing is impossible. It seems they always have me owing an impossible amount every month. Oh, well, till something better comes along I guess I will have to just bite the bullet and continue to use them or untill I just can't stand it anymore.

Good luck with your battles with them. I never won, I hope some of you can. (Please forgive any wrong spellings I wrote this in a hurry).

Never Sympathize with Comcast

AUTHOR: B - (U.S.A.)

It's pretty shallow to attack the validity of someone's story just because they didn't double check their spelling. In the heat of the moment, when you struggle to get everything down on paper, your emotions can boil and there usually isn't any room for correcting spelling mistakes. It doesn't really matter, though, because you must be perfect, to not even live in their area or know what they've gone through to side with Comcast.

I will never sympathize with Comcast no matter anyone writes in their stories. They constantly lie about service and are of no help to you on the phone.

When they took over for AT&T they switched my cable from an old AT&T digital package that included HBO, Starz and Encore for $64.99 to one of their NEW and IMPROVED digital packages for $63.16 that did not include STARZ. So essentially I was paying the same price for two less channels.

Now, after we've been switched back to our original package, they removed the $10 off (which we have two months remaining) and actually charged us $8.66 under the same line that lists the credit. When I called to complain, I got the constant run around, but eventually found someone who was willing, albeit extremely annoyed, to help me because my logical reasoning of their billing process prevailed.

The people at their Customer Service offices are useless, do not try to help you, and try to ram a barrage of services and cost numbers down your throat before you can figure out what they've done. When you ask them to slow down or explain something, they act as though you are the jerk for wanting to know you bill or service.

As for getting any sort of reimbursement--more power to you. They constantly try to slip in fees and services that are not requested then take up way too much of your time when you try to rectify the situation. Hack, they should give a credit to you each time you call in with a legitimate problem.

I loathe Comcast and sympathize with anyone who uses their service.

I sympathize with comcast

AUTHOR: Trex - (U.S.A.)

I must say that I have to sympathize with Comcast on this one. It's hard to believe your case. You can buy a new garage door opener for under $200, try Home Depot. I can't believe it cost $550 to fix yours. And how do you know that your kids didn't lock the door? Besides, if it was working properly, it would have just shut off by itself. Mine does, my kids have locked it many times, but it never burnt up the motor and 'made smoke come out of it'. Geez, what a story!

Besides that, your extremely poor spelling leads me to believe that you are a free loader looking for handouts. Obviously uneducated, but wanting what education brings.

#14 0

Update!

AUTHOR: - ()

Comcast and ourselves have come to a final agreement. We still get screwed out of about $250, but now, we can get on with things. As for the service, a man came out on the 31st of August and, again, could not fix the problem. Then on the 18th of September, they replaced ALL the outside and underground wiring. We have not had any additional problems since.

#15 0

Update!

#16 0

E-mail of the same response

AUTHOR: - ()

I finally recieved a reply to all the information sent to this Tony Hollinger. He states that he still won't credit us in full and that out of the kindness of his heart he will give us an additional $100 credit for the service problems.

Needless to say, I replied that I would again file complaints on them until this matter is resolved properly, and didn't appreciate the continuous bull and procrastination that this office hands out.

#17 0

The overabundance of morans

AUTHOR: - ()

On Thursday, Tony Hollinger, the new GM of Comcast here, called. He states different to the original agreement and says that he feels he has nogotiated a settlement. I told him, first off, how can this be fair to us when we paid the $550 for the motor his tech broke, and we've been paying for the last year for service that we hardly ever recieve? He tells me that now I'm bringing up something new. I asked him what exactly did he get this information from? He tells me that he has a e-mail from us about the motor. It turns out the the main office never recieved any of my e-mails sent but they went to the Waldorf office instead. I informed him that he is reading one of over 20 I've sent in the last year and apparently he hasn't read the certified letter I sent them. We argued for a long peroid of time. To make a long story short, I told him that I really don't appreciate being told by the former GM that this would be taken care of, and wasn't. Then told by the DM that it would be taken care of, and again, wasn't. And that I have an e-mail from the DM stating she would reinburse us the cost. He changes his tone real quick. He asked for this to be forwarded to his e-mail, I agreed. I also told him that I would forward ALL the e-mails about the service problems in the last year and attach a copy of the certified letter. I did. Infact I did that yesturday. Now all I'm waiting for is his reply. I will update this report when I hear from him.

#18 0

AUTHOR: - ()

Last night I recieved my new bill. I am suposed to have credits for the service being out and the $550 for the motor we replaced. Well, this bill has a month and the portion of the month before's bill of $85.93, then a service credit of $211.92. Then they actually charged us $500 for the box and applied a credit of $500 for that. So, needless to say, the only thing that was even credited was for us not having service (which they had no choice because of FCC regulations). But I guess they think we're stupid or something, like we wouldn't notice what they actually did? I am e-mailing Comcast another complaint today, telling them to fix this bill or I will AGAIN file a complaint with those I formerally filed with.

#19 0

#20 0

#21 0

Update*

AUTHOR: - ()

Appearently, Comcast got our complaints filed on them. Last Monday, we recieved a call from another man at their office. He wanted to get this resolved asap. He hooked our cable back up, and took off what was owed on our previous bill. Does he really think that is good enough? If we recieve our next bill and there is not an extended credit for what is actually owed to us, I'll complain again and again and again, until we feel we have been treated with our proper reinbursement.

#22 0

AUTHOR: - ()

Thank you for the information you provided on my report. Unfortunately, I'm looking at my last bill, they do not have any information on the Ch Co Franchising Authority. I am going to look for that information via the net, I will also go ahead and try to file a complaint with the FCC. The worst part is Comcast seems to be making a living doing this to people. I just don't feel I should have to pay for services I didn't recieve, not to mention someone coming into my home deliberatly trespasing where they knew they couldn't and destroying my property. It's just sad to think that this happens all the time with them. Thank you again, we appreciate your rebuttal.

#23 Consumer Suggestion

Local Francising Authority

AUTHOR: Ursula - ()

Try writing a letter to your local franchising authority. You will find this info on the back of your bill at the bottom. I had to after receiving the crappiest service ever. Make sure you detail your letter like this one and let them know that you are willing to go to the FCC if it is not resolved.

You may be able to file a complaint with the FCC for interference of service. Fax the letter, if you go on line they may have a fax number. Place a follow up call to the franchising authority. Comcast hates for you to involve the Local Franchising authority, because the franchising authority is at their wits end with Comcast.

P.S.- Comcast stil uses contractors to do their tech work, even though they lied to the PG County franchising authority and said they had stopped, so be sure to let them know if was contractors or Comcast employees.

Good Luck,