Complaint Review: Comcast

• Reported By: Neil — Acworth Georgia United States of America
Comcast
Norcross, Georgia United States of America

Comcast Technical service ripoff scam Norcross, Georgia

*Author of original report: Comcast ripoff/scam

*General Comment: Comcast

In September, 2012 my former Dell desktop computer crashed. Not knowing the cause, I called Comcast to get an estimate to have a technician come take a look at it as we were already paying $3.99 per month for a technical service fee. While on the phone, I was told about the Signature Service with which a technician could do a diagnosis online whereby I give permission for a Comcast technician to take control of my computer online. The one-time subscription fee would be $79.00 and the diagnosis fee would be $19.95. I figured it would be more convenient than disconnecting and taking the computer to BestBuy. So I signed up and let the Comcast technician do an over-the-Internet diagnosis. He determined that the hard drive had "damaged segments" which prevented the computer from staying ON. So, I disconnected the computer and took it to BestBuy anyway to have all the data transferred to a "thumb drive." One of the "Computer Geeks" decided to run a FREE diagnosis before I began taking the computer apart to retrieve the "damage hard drive." It was determined that the MOTHERBOARD had received an errant surge that "fried" specific components and that the hard drive was still in working condition. So, I purchased a re-conditioned HP all-in-one and an external hard drive adapter so that I was able to transfer all of the data to the "new" computer and use the "damaged segments hard drive" as a daily backup. I promptly called Comcast "Signature Service" to tell them their diagnosis was wrong and to Un-subscribe me from their service plan and credit our account for the diagnosis charge. After a lot of call transfers, I was told that it would be handled. When the October 6 statement arrived, it included the $79.00 "enrollment fee" and the $19.95 "personal tech service" fee. I immediately called Comcast, and after the usual run around, I spoke with "Clarrisa" who stated that I would be given credit and the confirmation number was 35372269. Well, the November 6 statement arrived showing $104.89 UNPAID BALANCE - DUE NOW(charges plus tax.) I called "Clarrisa" and was told that my reason for requesting credit was not enough to justify a credit and it was denied! I have gone in person to the Marietta Comcast office to protest the charges and was denied. I sent a letter with the January, 2013 statement but received no reply. So, against my opinion, I am proceeding to the Marietta location again to pay the unpaid balance with a credit card so that I will have the right to dispute the charge that way.

As much as I despise AT&T, if it was not for my wife, I would tell Comcast to shove it and switch back to AT&T!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/14/2013 12:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Comcast/Norcross-Georgia-30091/Comcast-Technical-service-ripoff-scam-Norcross-Georgia-1014254. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Comcast

Comcast ripoff/scam

AUTHOR: salty68dawg - (United States of America)

Okay, I can go along with the $19.95 charge for the incorrect diagnosis but not the $79.00 "Enrollment Fee" which I called to cancel the same day I "enrolled" to get the over-the-Internet diagnosis scam. I hope people will see this who might have been considering this over-the-Internet diagnosis and not waste THEIR money!

#2 General Comment

Comcast

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (United States of America)

Reading this I noticed something that is bothersome. You mentioned a one time "subscription." The word subscription alone indicates on-going. Secondly, Comcast is an Internet provider not a computer repair company. Thirdly, just because the agent at Comcast mis-diagnosed the issue doesn't mean that money isn't owed. Your paying for both that persons diagnoses and their time. Quick thought, if your computer is in need of repair or not working correctly, how could someone via Internet properly diagnose the issue anyways? Most of the time, the over the net repairs are simply for software/firmware problems, being you have a hardware issue that is keeping your computer from staying on, taking to a specialty shop that will hook it up and check everything. From memory allocation to the actual physical state of the platters, to the GPU, etc. There are even companies that will come to your home to diagnose. I'm sorry you got burned by honestly Comcast (from all that I can tell) is owed that money because you agreed to pay it, correct diagnoses or not. They didn't force you to purchase that tier of technical support nor did they sell you an overpriced replacement. If you think AT&T is any better.....well....all the best with that. Hope everything works out for you, once again I am sorry you feel like you have been jipped.