Complaint Review: Comcast

• Submitted: Thu, May 08, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, July 02, 2009

• Reported By:Waterford Michigan
Comcast
comcast.com Waterford, Michigan U.S.A.

Comcast End of Triple Play Waterford Michigan

*Consumer Comment: comcast doesn't care

*Author of original report: Still a rip off

*Consumer Comment: Opps! You really should start reading that fine print on the bottom of your contacts!

*Consumer Comment: What the market will allow and taking advantage of it.....

Have you ever watched the commercials where they do the stories about the low intro rate ending and comcast raising the prices? Well, it happed to us. We signed up last May when we moved into an area that comcast is the only provider. We opted for a second digital box so our total was $108 a month with taxes. We had been thinking for the last few months of getting rid of cable because we don't feel that it is worth the price. When the bill came on April 30th, it was for $143.

$35 more for the same overpriced services. I called to cancel the service half expecting them offer something to keep us as a customer. Nope, the woman said no problem she would cancel our service. She asked me if I wanted it canceled right now and I asked her how long we were paid up to. She sad the 3rd of May so I told her to cancel it on the 3rd. The second I hung up with her, my digital voice and internet service were gone. I had to call them back to get it turned back on. They also wanted me to deliver their hardware to them (For free). I told her to come up with another option. She shipped a box for me to ship them back in. I shipped them back yesterday on the way home from work (Got a tracking number).

I called to make sure that they canceled the service because I have read that they like to continue billing even after you cancel. She told me that the order would not be completed until the 19th but not to worry because I would not be billed. I told her that I don't care when they come and cut the wire, so long as I don't get billed but I don't see why they need to wait so long.

So I got home and my new Yahoo DSL service was working as promised, and despite what comcast says about DSL, mine works just fine. I put up a tv antenna and the new digital tv is clearer then what I was getting from comcast. So we are happy.

I really wish that they would have just lowered the price. They run ads in our market for the triple play for $66 a month but when you call them they tell you that rate is not for our area. I guess it makes more sense to them to make no money from us then the $99 they were getting. Go figure, I always thought it was better to keep a customer then find a new one.

Cable is not like gas or electricity, you can live without it. No point and putting up with the outrageous prices and very poor customer service. I really hope more people will dump them and force them to change.

Static
Waterford, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/08/2008 10:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Comcast/Waterford-Michigan-48327/Comcast-End-of-Triple-Play-Waterford-Michigan-331359. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Comcast

comcast doesn't care

AUTHOR: Lady - (U.S.A.)

Comcast does not have specials for their regular customers. You can leave for a year and come back and they consider you a return customer.
They never fix any issues. My internet issues were never resolved.

Someone misread something and their rep called me and very nastily accused me of stealing premium cable. Not realizing that I had internet service with them.

I wrote a letter to their Corp office and some guy called me telling me that my bill was correct.
I told him that he didn't read my letter. I didn't have an issue with my bill.

After getting that taken care of, No one even said the word sorry.
I told them that no one from comcast could ever call my home again.

They wouldn't fix my issues but after I left they did nothing but bug me.
Writing info off of my dish and leaving cards in my door.

I had them remove me from their mailing list and they started sending mail to resident.

They have started giving people 2 year contracts now. That means that they're losing business.

Maybe someone will decide to look at their customer service and fix it.

Still a rip off

AUTHOR: Scott - (U.S.A.)

Kory K,

I understand what the contract says, that does not change anything.
I personally feel that comcast is a rip off. I feel $99 a month is a rip off and $138 is a rip off. I am not saying that they did anything that they did not say they would do. I just don't feel the service is worth the price. In my case, I went with AT&T dsl and an over the air antenna. Works for me.

I understand how pay television is priced. Let me share a post that I made on the Hi Def froumn:"

"Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy
I strongly support A La Carte. Some municipalities require that as an option, and the customers pay just $1.00 per channel. Even if that doubled to $2.00 per channel, it would still be a bargain. There's no sense paying for 50 cable channels, and only watching 2."

I remember A La Carte. Back when I had my Big dish I use to order just what I wanted. The back page of the satellite guide listed the price of each channel. I had no problem paying for what I wanted to watch.

Look at the Big 10 deal. Comcast ran a web site blasting the BTN for a year and in the end they put it in the expanded basic tier and pay $.70 per subscriber (Yea, they are not paying as much as BTN wanted but the BTN still got what they were after). I don't know why they put up a fight to start with, they have many other channels that they force on you. The BTN is no different. Now you know next January they are going to pass that cost along to the subscriber. Just like all the other worthless channels you have to pay for but don't want and will never watch.

From Wikipedia: "On June 14, 2007, United States Representatives Dan Lipinski (Democrat, Illinois) and Jeff Fortenberry (Republican, Nebraska) introduced into legislation HR 2738, the Family and Consumer Choice Act of 2007, which intends to allow families to choose and pay for only the cable television channels that they want to watch. As of January 2008, it is still in committee."

I guess we can hope that this bill will pass, but I would not count on it."
__________________

Each channel has a price, the issue is they force you to pay for junk you do not want. Cable companies are just like everyone else in a free market, they take as much as the market will allow.

I also understand that the $34 a month internet I get from AT&T is not as fast as comcast. I made that choice because I am happy with the lower price. Something to think about with comcast: They cripple the internet that you buy from them!!! They send re-set commands to the modem when they detect you are doing bit-torrents. They will throttle your speed if you use to much bandwith within a period of time. All a bunch of BS, since you are paying for it. My dsl works great, I can do torrents, ftp, newsgroups, and anything else I want.

I am glad you are happy with your comcast service, but do a google search on comcast and you will find you are the exception, not the rule. comcast service is over priced, their customer service is all but none existent. I hope that as people tighten their belts, they drop comcast. No company should be able to provide such poor service and stay in busines.

Good luck

AUTHOR: Kory K - (U.S.A.)

Hey there!

First off, I'm going to directly copy and paste what it says about the Triple Play directly from their site.

"Promotional Rate is $99.00/month for 12 month(s), ongoing price is $138.88/month"

This is on the very bottom of their description, not in fine print, very legible, and is the same size font as the whole thing.

I am a new Comcast Customer, and I fully understand this, I just recently switched from DSL Yahoo, actually, to Comcast, and I have always had Comcast TV. I have done my research and Comcast is honestly just better than anything. I am currently playing 50 dollars a month for my Phone service, and this is purposing 33 dollars a month, for a year, at least I'm saving for a year, better than not at all. The Phone service is identical, anytime anywhere.

Also, the Internet for Comcast is MUCH faster than SBC Yahoo! Although the average customer probably wouldn't notice much of a difference since I doubt usually people downloading large files, like gigabytes worth of data from the internet. It's very simple. With DSL Yahoo! when you download a file you get 170 kilobtyes/per second (About a 1.5 Megabit Connection). When you upgrade to Comcast Internet, you get 750 kilobtyes/per second (6 Megabit Connection). So, it's not like they're jipping you off of money. So, for instance, you are downloading a file that is 5 gigabytes, this is pretty common, since I'm a gamer and games nowadays are getting up there in size, and I download my games from the internet, it's just more convenient than going to the store that is quiet a ways. So we're downloading a file size of 5 gigabytes.

With Comcast Internet

5 gigabytes = 5 242 880 kilobytes
5 242 880 / 750 = 6990.5 (This means it takes 6990.5 seconds to download this file, assuming its downloading full speed, some connections are unreliable and don't offer full speed, this isn't Comcast fault but where ever you downloading this file from)
So, 6990.5 Seconds / 60 (60 Seconds in a minute) = 116.5 (So it takes 116.5 minutes)
116.5 / 60 (60 Minutes in an hour) = 1.94 Hours
So ultimately this file will take 1.94 Hours to complete.

With SBC Yahoo!

5 gigabytes = 5 242 880 kilobytes
5 242 880 / 170 = 30840.5 (See, there's a HUGE difference already)
30840.5 / 60 = 514 (514 Minutes it takes this file to complete)
514 / 60 = 8.5 (8.5 Till Complete)

So how long would you rather wait? 2 hours, or 8 and a half hours?

Comcast is DEFIANTLY not trying to rip you off, their prices are very average and reasonable, you just need to look at it from a technical stand point. Now, I'm sure your probably wondering, why should I care. You probably shouldn't, since I'm assuming since you don't notice a difference, you don't use internet for this sort of thing, so SBC is probably better for you than Comcast, and you are getting the better price for what you use the Internet for.

Also, for Cable, it too is very reasonable, considering your getting more than the average 78 channels most companies give you. Although, some people might not use it. I and my father watch T.V. a lot, so when nothing is on, usually in the weekends, and sometime on the week days, having a large variety of channels works for us. Not saying it works for you, but it does for us.

Please don't think Comcast is ripping any one off, they aren't. How their prices come to it is rather technical and the average customer doesn't care about it, and as long as it sounds good, okay. If it sounds bad...

But, as for your claim of them ripping you off because of the large price jump, really, all I must say to that is...

Read the "fine print" and all of your contract. It states it will change after 12 months as clear as day. You just need to read it.

I hope I've helped your change your understanding of how pricing workings and know that you weren't being ripped off. I'm glad SBC Yahoo! works just as good for you and your saving money for the ever high raising gas prices of today, and what ever company TV you now have.

Good luck in the future!

What the market will allow and taking advantage of it.....

AUTHOR: Dennis - (U.S.A.)

I decided that I wanted to respond to this report because I am and have been a Comcast customer for approximately 5 years, receiving both TV and internet service from them. I pay approximately $115 a month for my Comcast service. Even IF I cancel my Digital Basic service I will be lucky to save $10 a month. I am in an area that offers few options, but I have to admit that I feel that it is unfair that Comcast offers new customers deceptive pricing (OK so it's good pricing when you sign up but rest assured it will change to be something you will question whether you can afford it or not) I have NO premium channels...ie HBO, Showtime, Stars, etc...I just have basic digital cable, and their internet service. I would like to see a show of hands of those that feel that for THIS...$115 a month is a ridiculous charge...I have no problem paying 44.95 a month for high speed internet, including a $5 a month charge for the modem, but you should really drop your cable tv prices a bit for those that don't want all the bells and whistles of HBO and other movie channels. It's an unfair practice. Basic cable, including basic digital with no movie channels should NOT cost a customer over $59 a month....and even if I switched back to basic...I'll be lucky to save 10 bux a month. It's time comcast realized that continuing to charge customers top price will not lead them in a good direction. They will continue to lose customers in my area to AT&T Uverse and other providers because of their greed. I myself am unfortunate in that I don't live where I can get Uverse, because I'd switch very easily. You would think that since I've been a customer of Comcast for 5 years, that they would make offers or have promotions to KEEP customers...instead, it's still the same price...and actually it has gone up...someone in the executive offices could care less I suppose...he/she makes good money...gets a discount on their Comcast Cable/Internet....and piss on the little guy.

WAKE UP COMCAST....it's time for you to treat your LONG TIME customers better! You know it should be this way. STOP offering your ridiculous sign up deals and treat your long time customers to some discounts....Uverse will be available in my area soon and you can bet I'd rather pay $79 a month for Digital TV and Internet and keep my Vonage than continue paying you about 40 bux a month more. I know people that have Uverse and thought there have been minor things...the internet is fine and the picture quality of Uverse is HD quality but no where near what you want to charge. I don't even have HD and you charge too much. Are you ready to lose a lot more customers Comcast? Thank God for competition!