Complaint Review: Comenity Bank

• Updated: Thu, July 10, 2014

• Reported By: Melissa Alexander — Los Angeles California
Comenity Bank
Nationwide USA

Comenity Bank Sent to collections for an $18 service fee that was just over 30 days late. Columbus, Ohio Nationwide

My husband and I are applying for a mortgage and we assumed we had perfect credit, however we didn't realize that my credit got dinged significantly by Comenity Bank (dropping my credit score by nearly 100 points).

We have a Pottery Barn credit card, which is managed by Comenity Bank. I made a purchase a few months ago and returned the item to the store. Apparently I was still charged for $12.00 shipping on the item. We don't get paper statements from any company (in an effort to be green) and we pay all of our bills online in a timely fashion. Unfortunately, Comenity Bank doesn't allow the consumer to set up auto-pay (likely because they make so much money on service charges). The shipping charge went unnoticed by one month but was paid 35 days after it was issued. The following month I noticed another small charge on the acount of $18. When I contacted Comenity Bank to ask about the charge I was told it is a service fee. Because we've not been late before, the charge was removed by Comenity Bank.

Needless to say, I was never informed that I was sent to a collection agency over the late fee. I am still struggling to get this fee removed by Comenity Bank and we cannot proceed with our mortgage. It is unbelievable what these companies will do to squeeze the consumer out of money. I should never have been sent to a collection company over this charge.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/10/2014 09:53 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Comenity-Bank/nationwide/Comenity-Bank-Sent-to-collections-for-an-18-service-fee-that-was-just-over-30-days-late-1161010. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Comenity Bank