Complaint Review: Comfort Rooms Of Florida

• Submitted: Thu, September 25, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, January 24, 2013

• Reported By:Orlando Florida
Comfort Rooms Of Florida
647 Progress Way Sanford, Florida U.S.A.

Comfort Rooms Of Florida Beware of the Con-man owner of Comfort Rooms, a sunroom contractor Sanford Florida

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Comfort Rooms' Comforting Lies

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: More Lies to combine with all the other lies.....

*Author of original report: deleted email address

*Author of original report: Reply to the (laughable) "facts"

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: More Lies By Mike

*Author of original report: Please don't fall it.

*Consumer Comment: The room was permitted as a acrylic room

*UPDATE Employee: The facts....

*Consumer Suggestion: You are not the first to be angry

This report is to warn you of the unethical business practices of Comfort Rooms of Florida, Inc, owned by Stephen Ferrando. I consider myself a fair and honest person and generally easy-going. But when I feel (in this case, know) that I am trying to be ripped off, I get pissed off.

To put things in a nutshell, this contractor has refused to finish a punchlist which his own representative signed, stating that a final payment would be made upon completion of this list. But guess who wants to be paid anyway?

There is also an issue regarding a sliding door that was to be installed. Would you believe that what they installed was really just a big window? There's no handle to get in from the outside. Why? Because it's a window! They wanted ME to put a handle on it because if they did, it would void the warranty. Well, if I do it, won't that still void the warranty? Besides, I was expecting a real door.

This is by no means the whole problem with this rip-off company. I would be more than happy to talk to anyone who would like to know more so that I may hopefully save someone else the frustration, aggravation, and feelings of general loathing and contempt I have for this company.

Orlando, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/25/2008 08:36 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Comfort-Rooms-Of-Florida/Sanford-Florida-32771/Comfort-Rooms-Of-Florida-Beware-of-the-Con-man-owner-of-Comfort-Rooms-a-sunroom-contracto-375892. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Comfort Rooms Of Florida

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Comfort Rooms' Comforting Lies

AUTHOR: Valor87 - (United States of America)

I'm Mike's son and I just have to say that Comfort Rooms is in fact the absolute worst company I have ever seen do business anywhere. The have superior levels of unprofessionalism and they've twisted every reply in this post to benefit them.

What is even more hysterical is that this company is no longer in business. They say they have a book that's over 6 inches thick of satisfactory customer reports and yet they have nothing to show for it. Truly, use your brains on this topic and ask yourself "Why is this company out of business if they're so good?" The answer: They're not.

Yes, the people that poured the concrete did indeed ask me what they're supposed to do. On top of that, there was supposed to be a supervisor present. There wasn't. Weeks later, my father and him had a conversation over the phone where he swore up and down that he was here. I told my father that he was not. The supervisor called me a liar.

I must be a liar since I was outside the entire time and documenting all the work on my camera, taking over 250 still photos and.....oh wait, no supervisor was documented in any of the pictures.

I find it odd that Ferrando (Don't have enough respect for him to call him Mr.) is always missing in action until there's a complaint lodged against him. But even then, he never deals with anything in person. It's always over the phone or through email. He even sends his employees over in his stead.

This guy is truly living his dream of cutting corners and trying to prove otherwise. It's truly disgusting that you can call me a liar when you do nothing but lie to yourself and everyone around you.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

More Lies to combine with all the other lies.....

AUTHOR: Comfort Rooms - (U.S.A.)

Mr Mike, It was your wife who said you were a handyman. What's the matter are you afraid to tell me the name of your business? How about the name of the licensed contractor you supposedly worked for?

1) Fact - The county had nothing to do wiith me offering to replace the door I was doing it to try and resolve this. I have the e mails from the county to prove it...

2) Fact- Mr. Mike was upset over the cost of the concrete so we had to lower the price to just above cost for him. The electrical we actually lost money on.

3) Fact -Leaks - Both of my people were there in the driving rain with no leaks. Oh Yea it wasn't blowing in the right direction according to Mike.

4) Fact- Regarding the door - The point I was making to Mr Mike the Handyman was that bypass doors don't have handles on them. Including pocket doors most of the time if the person wants they bore a hole in the door and install finger pulls. Finger pulls are just like a lip on a door you use it to to slide the door sideways. They are not door handles.

5) Fact - I noticed you didn't address the punch list that you kept coming up with or the fact you did not respond to the (4) letters i sent to try and resolve this issue way before it got to this. I do have copies of all the letters, several that were sent certified mail and the numerous punch lists.

6) Fact - Ellen never said anything of the sort. She said she has had contact with the customers in the past. She has also been spent alot of time at our office seeing and hearing us interact with customers. But of course she is lying also according to Mr Mike. Everyone is lying except for Mr Mike. She stands behind her comment and will not bend to Mr Mikes pressure tactics or payoffs.

7) Fact - I have the papers from the county showing the job was inspected and passed all the inspections including the final. This was until Mr Mike called and threatened them with a lawsuit to change what they had already approved. This way he doesn't have to pay his $1250..

To future customers - don't believe these lies. I have a book over 6 inches thick with 100% satisfied customers. Mr Mike and his wife both saw the book as we show it to all of our potential customers. We have a quality control person to assist you with any issues you may have. We also have satisfaction sheets we send out to all of our customers for there response to see how happy they are. I am sure I am not the only one who has had issues with Mr Mike. He seems to like to distort the truth when he doesn't get what he wants. Oh Yea, I forgot to tell you that he said it was ok if we replaced the whole structure with a glass room at no charge( I have that in writing also). You must look at the fact that we have gone to great lengths to try and resolve this. What has Mr Mike done? Instead of being reasonable and trying to work this out he wants to try and destroy a companies reputation so he doesn't have to pay his bill. Remember I have copies of all the letters and punch lists. I also have all the emails from Mr Mike and the building department in his file to be able to back up everything I have said in this forum.

deleted email address

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

Ripoff Report has a policy of not allowing my contact information to be shown. I can understand why. Hopefully my reports have been enough to dissuade anyone from considering this company, but if anyone is still interested in contacting me I am giving my permission to Comfort Rooms to give out my email address.

Reply to the (laughable) "facts"

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

1. Mr. Ferrando would like to have you believe that I keep adding more items after they have finished the previous list. No. They are the same items that weren't fixed all along except for a soffit repair (damaged by his employees) which I requested be fixed because I do not trust him to do it after final payment. The contract says he is not responsible for repair to anything he did not construct. His word means nothing.
2. Now he is comparing an interior closet door to what is supposed to be an exterior door. Using that logic, why don't we all save some money and have our houses built with closet doors on the exterior?
3. I don't mind him making a profit - he said that, not me. Speculation on his part, but the way he says it, well, it's just another lie. Just do the job right. (I don't think he knows what that means.)
4. The roof leaks when it is raining very hard and coming down in a certain direction. This has been explained to his employee. Neither service man was here under those conditions, in fact, it had already stopped raining when one showed up and it didn't leak that day anyway because it was a very light rain. I showed his employee a video of the leaks.
5. It is more than gutter straps. Also, I found the County very concerned and helpful. I never threatened the County with a lawsuit Mr. Ferrando. You have a wild imagination. Some people do things because it is the right thing to do. This is a foreign concept to this contractor.
6. Again Mr. Ferrando has twisted the truth. I spoke with Ellen from Permitmenow on 3/12 and asked her how she knows that Comfort Rooms has an A+ rating with their customers. She hesitated and then admitted that she doesn't actually speak with the customers. Of course not. She's paid to pull permits. She has no contact with anyone other than the contractor. Her A+ rating has no merit.
I extended an invitation to her to come out and see the job for herself but she declined.
As for offering to pay her off. OMG. I hope this is just another lie by Ferrando because I'd hate to think there's another one out there like him.
Ellen stated that times are tough and she didn't want to lose one of her best clients.
Draw your own conclusions on this. Mine is that this is not only a case of not biting the hand that feeds you, but of actually going so far as to kiss it.

I don't know why Mr. Ferrando insists on commenting on things he knows nothing about. I am a retired NYC firefighter. Any handyman work I did was as a p/t employee of a licensed contractor.
The only reason Mr. Ferrando agreed to replace that window he calls a door after many months is because the County is involved.
I never asked him to do anything at cost. And I have a news flash for him - He won't get paid until this is resolved with the County, and that is at least 5 weeks away. He knows this. So why is he still asking for a payment at this time? If he thinks I am out to destroy his company over a lousy $1250, he is sadly mistaken (again). He just can't stand the fact that someone is not lying down from all his nonsense and threats.
I've spent enough time defending my actions against this man's lies. I am sure he will write another post accusing me of lying. So be it. There are more issues. Bottom line is that anyone who reads this should run as fast and as far from this contractor as possible.
If anyone is interested in contacting me about this contractor my email address is (((ROR redacted)))

#5 REBUTTAL Owner of company

More Lies By Mike

AUTHOR: Comfort Rooms - (U.S.A.)

Here We Go Again with Mr Mike distorting the truth as he usually does.

1) Punch List - This is his 3rd Punch list not the first. His comment in writing to us was he would create as many list as he wanted. That is the problem with Mr Mike he never wants to resolve issues just keep them going on.
2) Not A Door - Mike, do bypass doors on your closet have a handle? Do pocket doors have a handle? No they don't. They have a lip or a small hole that is drilled into the door that you put your fingers into to open the door. It is not a handle. Are these considered windows ? Some Doors don't have handles Mike that is a fact. Another Lie - The county did not tell me to replace the door. I asked the county if we could replace the door (at my expense) to try and resolve this nightmare.
3) Concrete- Yea we need to make a profit Mr Mike. That is part of the problem here you don't want us to make a profit.
4) Roof Leaks - I have had 2 of my service guys out there in the pouring rain with Mr. Mike present and not one leak. Amazing, it only leaks when we are not there.
5) Structural Deficiencies - Another Lie - There are none. The issue that the county is talking about is some gutter straps of which is easy to overlook and we have agreed to put them on. The county finaled this job out and did not want to come back out until Mr. Mike threatened them with a lawsuit.
6) Ellen - He called Ellen who rebutted Mr Mikes lies (you can read her rebuttal) to ask her to change what she wrote in defense of the company and she refused. She told Mr Mike what she wrote was the truth and she wasn't changing it. He even offered to pay her hoping to persuade her to follow his lies instead of telling the truth.

This is all coming from a guy that is an unlicensed handyman who doesn't even pull permits or follow the law in regards to construction. There is no way of tracking his work because he doesn't obey the law. I have offered I don't know how many times to resolve this nightmare and he just wants to keep it going on. I have 4 letters I wrote to try and resolve this of which he didn't respond to. The only response we get is another list so he doesn't have to make his payment to us. This is a very sad situation when you can go on the internet and tell lies and half truths to try and destroy a company because you don't want to pay your bill. Fess up Mike you just don't want to pay. Mike what is the name of your business so I can do some checking up on you? Who is the real CON MAN here the company owner who is trying to resolve the issue or the customer who refuses to pay by repeatedly coming up with a new list (I have copies of all of them) The company is even going to the extent of paying for a new door and installing it at no charge to try and resolve this. We have also agreed to service Mr Mike's room even after this get's resolved (if it ever does). Does that sound like a CON MAN. How about the customer who works the contractor over to lower his price and take items out of the job and then ask the contractor to add them back at the contractors cost not allowing the contractor a profit. By the way Mr Mike you still haven't paid your bill..... WHO IS THE REAL CON MAN?

Please don't fall it.

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

The facts are correct as I have reported them.
1. As I stated, the contractor demanded payment before the punch list was completed.
2. It is NOT a door. It is a large sliding window the size of a door which is why there is NO LIP on the outside to get in. (Just like a window. If it looks like a window and acts like a window...) Why would they agree to put a handle on the thing if it were a door? I'm trying to explain this without the aid of pictures, but anyone who has seen it is absolutely amazed that it is trying to be passed off as a door. The County has since told them to replace it with a door, to which they have agreed. It's easy to see that they were trying to pull a fast one here.
re: additional facts
It certainly WAS cost effective to have an outside company pour the concrete slab, but the owner stated that it would be better if he did the pour so that he would be responsible for the whole job. And he DID make a profit because I could have had it done for less, plus, it was only after deducting the cost of a French drain that was no longer necessary from his concrete price that his price was in the ballpark with other concrete contractors. This is good - When the subcontractors came to lay the forms for the concrete they had to ask my son what they were supposed to do! I wasn't home at the time but I was assured that they "only use the best". At one point I was told that Comfort Rooms does not use that sub anymore. Months later I was told that they still use them. As if to say that they are good. Well, which lie is it Steve-o?
As I have stated previously, the job was never completed because the punch list was not completed. The punch list is an agreement between the contractor and myself for him to get final payment when it is complete. It's that simple. He failed to complete the list but still wanted payment.
There are also 12 leaks where the roof of this structure meets my house. This is AFTER they were "fixed" by this contractor. Does this sound like exceeding industry standards?
The final inspection has been rescinded by Orange County. The structure does not pass inspection because of an egress (fire safety) violation and numerous structural deficiencies due to poor workmanship.
I have no problem making final payment if the job complies with code and all issues are resolved and I assure you, as a homeowner, no item is "frivalous".
This contractor doesn't even know what's going on in his own office: I was threatened with a lien, but no lien was put on my house. What he DID do was hire a collection agency which has since backed off when they were given the facts.

Reply to Ellen at PermitmeNOW:
I invite you to talk to me so that you will know the truth. I will email you.

The room was permitted as a acrylic room

AUTHOR: Permitmenow - (U.S.A.)

I own a permitting service in central Fla that actually permitted this job. Mr Mike signed a agreement with Mr F. for a acrylic structure. It had a sliding door/ acrylic for access. The building dept would not issue a permit with a glass door and acrylic windows, its either or, not both. Comfort Rooms has a A+ rating with their customers and do a superior job on all the jobs that I have permitted. They will go out of there way to assist any customer and Mr F is always available to speak to his clients. I have always been paid on time by this company..A++ rating with PermitmeNOW..Ellen

The facts....

AUTHOR: Comfort Rooms - (U.S.A.)

As an employee of Comfort Rooms of Florida, and the employee who has handled Mike ****' complaints and issues from the start, I feel it imperative to provide a response to his complaint that is loaded with mistruths.

1. We have not refused to complete the items on the punchlist. Mr. **** has consistently amended the punch list with frivilous items just to avoid payment. The punch list is the FINAL list of items to be completed. It can not continuously be changed and altered just to avoid making a final payment. All items on the punch list have been addressed.

2. Sliding door. Mr. **** wanted a glass sliding door in his acrylic room. The county would not approve the building permit with a glass sliding door in the room. Therefore, we had to install an acrylic sliding door. While the manufacturing of an acrylic sliding door is a bit different than that of a glass sliding door, he does, in fact, have an acrylic sliding door. It is not an oversized window as he states. If it were a window, the track would be the same as those of a window - they are not. The acrylic doors do not come with a traditional handle on them as does a sliding glass door. Rather, it has a lip that is used to open and close the door. As a company offering a LIFETIME warranty on all of its products, labor and material, we can not install a handle that will void the warranty with the manufacturer. If the customer so chooses to do so, he can. We did offer to install a smaller handle that may not void the warranty for Mr. **** and he refused.

Additional facts surrounding this job:

Mr. **** wanted a 40,000.00 glass room on a $15,000.00 budget. When we explained that we cannot give him that room in the budget, we offered him the acrylic product. The original price for that product was 25,000.00. He then decided he wanted to remove portions of the job to save money. Along with the discount we gave him to earn his business, and his removal of concrete, electricial, etc., it gave a total job price of $15000.00. He later realized that it was not cost effective to contract with outside sources on those items and wanted us to put them back into the contract, at a cost not allowing a profit for us. We added the items back in and came to a total job cost of $17950.00

The job was completed on time and has met or exceeded all industry standards and has been built in accordance with the 2004 Florida Building Code. The final building inspection with Orange County has passed. As has been explained to Mr. **** on numerous occassions, any additional items of concern would fall under his warranty and will be addressed as such. We do not abandon our customers. If there is a legitimate concern, we handle it. Its not good business to do otherwise.

Unfortunately, when people find themselves falling short on making a contracted payment, they fabricate a story to justify their inability to pay. In this case, Mr. **** wants to use his sudden "unhappiness", and frivilous punch list items to avoid having to make his final payment. Unfortunately,there aren't any websites out there for us to notify other businesses to be aware of a certain breed of clientele such as Mr. ****. The idea is to get as much as you can for a little as you can and if that means not making a payment than so be it. Its not right, nor fair to those of us out there running a legitimate business! Fortunately, Florida does provide contractor's some protection, with its Lien Law. Mr. *****' property has been liened and we will foreclose upon that lien if his payment is not made.

We are a licensed contractor in the State of Florida. Our reputation is important to us as is customer satisfaction. With more than 250 jobs each year, you can't prevent a complaint here or there. Less than 2% of those 250 jobs had complaints! You can't please everyone... but we certainly do try!

#9 Consumer Suggestion

You are not the first to be angry

AUTHOR: Angry - (U.S.A.)

You are not the first to complain about this company. I have seen several other postings on Comfort Rooms. Several reports have been posted on customers not being given whats promised, work being completed on time, etc.
When confronted about issues, they ignore phone calls. You can never reach the owner. He is always "out of town".

If you have a valid complaint you can go to the www.myfloridalicense.com and file a complaint with the licensing board. They have several complaints on the better buisness bureau website also.

If everyone contacted that consumer news reporter in our area maybe we could stop this.