Complaint Review: CompUSA - Dragon Naturally Speaking

• Submitted: Fri, September 10, 2004
  • Updated: Mon, October 04, 2004

• Reported By:Rosharon Texas
CompUSA - Dragon Naturally Speaking
14951 No. Dallas Parkway Dallas, Texas U.S.A.

CompUSA - Larry Mondry, CEO has a rip-off policy! Open the Software - won't work, can't use it? Sorry! Standard Policy is we can't help you, but thanks for the money! Dallas Texas

*Author of original report: CompUSA settles matters!!

*Consumer Comment: there is a 30-day money back guaranty thru Scansoft

I'm just a "lay" computer person who tries to churn out a meager earning in the digital industry. I don't make much an hour and don't have extra money to spend on fancy software I don't intend to use (or can't use in this case). I'm writing you because I am just fed up with the computer industries- Absolute! No Exception! "Standard" policy of: "Open the software- No Returns!!"

I thought I'd write this report in hopes of maybe gaining some support for my "cause". It is true that there are some people out there bent on cheating the system and stealing software, music, etc. They have always been there and they will always continue to be there. But, hey, us honest people are here too and shouldn't have to always be on the punishing end of their unethical behavior.

I just purchased a program online (Dragon Naturally Speaking 7 preferred) for $162.50, on sale, with CompUSA. I've bought software and computer products from them before. So they have gotten lots of my hard earned money so far. But this time, I'm really ticked off!

I'm probably your average computer user, not genius, but I get by pretty good with the programs I use everyday. I purchased this program because I'm suffering a disability in my right hand and can't do so much typing anymore, but I still need to make a living.

I read all the details about the product, took days to make a final decision, made sure my computer "requirements" were right (so I thought), and finally made the purchase. Am I the only one who is more than a little hesitant spending my money on something I've never used, never seen, can't try-out yet, can't return if it turns out to be something I can't use?

Ok, I received the program in the mail and was quite excited to get some relief from my hand pain. However, loading the program did not go so well, and the software rejected my "computer specifications" and ended the installation process. I was completely dumbfounded! I tried again, same response.

The software said the my old Pentium 3 was only 450MHz and needed to be 500MHz. Well, I thought my computer was 500MHz! Long story short, via Intel.com I was able to run a DOS system search and it verified that my P3 was indeed only 450MHz. So, what do I do now? My worst fears have become reality! They have my money, I've OPENED their sacred software and it won't work!!!

I thought, for sure, ComUSA would understand that some of us honest computer users have software glitches from time to time and they will help me out somehow... HA! to no avail. The customer service rep., named Eve, was so "sweet" toned as she repeatedly parroted (about 100 times), "I'm sorry, our Standard Policy is that if you open the software you own it and we cannot take it back. There is nothing we can do."

Of course, I tried to reason, beg, and plead for help. The only thing I didn't do was threaten, but how do I threaten a big million dollar, far removed, inhuman corporate company like CompUSA, or any other computer store for that matter. Now, I'm stuck with some software sitting here on my desk that I can't use and $162.50 less money in my wallet and feeling very powerless. What's a little person like me supposed to do?

In my meager opinion, this Standard Policy needs a little amendment. Surely there has to be a better way in dealing with fellow humans that have legitimate cause for needing to exchange or replace or return the software that they were unable to get to work, or simply can't use.

I know I'm not the only one out here that needs help in this regard! I'm among many thousand of truly honest computer users that really don't have the luxury to spend hard earned amounts of money on software that doesn't work for reasons not their fault. You know, with $162.50 I could buy groceries for two weeks? That is a lot of money for me.

Well, now that my hand is in major pain from all this typing, I should really sign off now. Thanks for reading (if you got this far). May you NEVER open software that causes an "Error" or "Virus" to your pocketbook!!

Sheryl
Rosharon, Texas

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on CompUSA

CLICK HERE to read about Credit Card Scams... find out how to get your money back. *Rip-off Report Investigation provides valuable information.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/10/2004 08:51 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CompUSA-Dragon-Naturally-Speaking/Dallas-Texas-75254/CompUSA-Larry-Mondry-CEO-has-a-rip-off-policy-Open-the-Software-wont-work-cant-us-107782. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CompUSA - Dragon Naturally Speaking

CompUSA settles matters!!

AUTHOR: S - (U.S.A.)

Although the reciept said "return only online", I decided to take a trip to the local CompUSA and speak with the manager. I polietly explained my situation, and she was happy to give me a refund after check if any other software would work on my computer (there wasn't). So, in person, I was believed much more than over the phone. Money was refunded 100%!

Thanks CompUSA, you still have my business!!!

there is a 30-day money back guaranty thru Scansoft

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

I am sorry to hear this story. What I do personally know is that software is COPYWRIGHT PROTECTED, just like a book. Unfortunetly, people do defraud companies by illegally copying software. The policy is in place because of such a high percentage of fraud.

CompUSA in this case was only following a policy that they have put in place, and is on the receipt that you agree to. NO RETURN on open software is also the same policy in place by almost all retailers. More importantly, if you read the box of you Dragon Naturally Speaking, you would relize that there is a 30-day money back guaranty thru Scansoft.

All you need to do is send it back to them. Most software companies have return policies in place directly thru them so they can control the possibel fraud that can take place in the retailer. Blaming CompUSA for you cituation won't do anything since they can't even send the software back to the manufacturer. You might want to contact them before your time runs out.