Complaint Review: CompUSA

• Submitted: Sat, March 08, 2008
  • Updated: Sat, March 08, 2008

• Reported By:Granby Connecticut
CompUSA
Holyoke Mall Holyoke, Massachusetts U.S.A.

CompUSA Manufacturer rebate coupons are not honored Holyoke Massachusetts

In 1999, I bought a 350 Mhz computer from CompUSA in the Holyoke Mall, in Holyoke, MA. They had a total of $400 off in manufacturer's rebates. I know well how that works, so I had copies of all paperwork, and sent in my forms via Certified Mail. Of course they only funded $200 of the total. CompUSA's excuse was that the manufacturers were at fault, not them. I told them I bought the computer based on their representation of $400 off, and I expected to get the $400 off. I did finally get another $100 coupon, after 4 letters. The last coupon they absolutely refused to honor, despite about a year's letters and phone calls, at about 1 month intervals.

I got very nasty service representatives who told me nasty things- hey, they could have just said there was nothing they could do, why be nasty? I sent them a nasty letter, noting that I would take it upon myself as a hobby, to advise people that they had ripped me off, to the CEO. I got a $75 off merchandise rebate. Well, that's interesting, $100 in cash is not the same as that, is it. So I sent an even nastier version of that letter, and got another $75 off merchandise rebate.

At their profit margins, that is still not $100 in cash, is it, and also does not count the hours and postage I had to spend. Well, I tell people exactly what happened, as I am, in this letter. Why do I have to fight, and fight, and fight, just to get what they promised in writing? And I sent them a copy of the original advertisement, and all paperwork, every time I complained.

By comparison, a manufacturer refused to honor a rebate at Staples, last year. I documented it- copies of certified mail, paperwork, copy of ad, etc.- Staples not only sent me a check for $20, and this for the first letter, they also sent me a $20 off on merchandise voucher. Which they honored. I will shop at Staples. I have never stepped foot in a CompUSA again. Why bother? If they don't honor rebates, what else won't they honor?

Michael
Granby, Connecticut

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/08/2008 08:56 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CompUSA/Holyoke-Massachusetts-01040/CompUSA-Manufacturer-rebate-coupons-are-not-honored-Holyoke-Massachusetts-315950. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CompUSA