Complaint Review: CompUSA

• Submitted: Fri, February 11, 2005
  • Updated: Sun, February 13, 2005

• Reported By:Manchester Missouri
CompUSA
13924 Manchester Road Manchester, Missouri U.S.A.

CompUSA Another CompUSA Repate Ripoff Windows XP Rebate Manchester Missouri

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: CompUSA Store made good on rebate...

*Consumer Suggestion: Microsoft won't help you

I saw the post from Charles in New York and thought I should share my story. I too purchased a copy of Windows XP Pro Upgrade with SP2 on 11/24/2004 from a local CompUSA and have been denied my $80.00 rebate for the exact same reason as Charles. They tell me that the UPC that I sent in does not qualify for the rebate. The skew number on my package was 315937 and the rebate was only good on skew number 314679. I did not think to, nor should I have had to, check those numbers-a CompUSA employee handed me the box at the display and told me about the rebate.

So far I have only contacted the rebate center with no results. My next step will be to go the store where I bought it and see what if anything they will do for me. I don't know what I'll do after that.

Matt
Manchester, Missouri

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/11/2005 09:11 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CompUSA/Manchester-Missouri-63011/CompUSA-Another-CompUSA-Repate-Ripoff-Windows-XP-Rebate-Manchester-Missouri-130998. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CompUSA

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

CompUSA Store made good on rebate...

AUTHOR: Matthew - (U.S.A.)

Well, I went to the store where I purchased my Windows XP and brought with me my rebate documentation and a copy of the complaint that Charles from New York had filed on this site. The store manager gave me a $85.00 gift card with no argument at all. I got the impression that I wasn't the first person to have this problem.

I have to say that I was very impressed by the store manager at the local CompUSA and the way that he stepped up and handled the situation.

Problem resolved!!!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Microsoft won't help you

AUTHOR: Jonathan - (U.S.A.)

On issues like this where the store should have know but either did not or just didn't care, The company you bought it from are liable and should help you out. You may actually have to escalate it to at least the regional level to get the problem solves.

On ads like this it normally states something to the effect of " only valid on SKU# -------" However, if the employee told you it was the one you needed then the store has to fix their own employee's mistake. Most Compusa stores that I have been to are pretty decent about stuff like this as long as you DON'T go in screaming like a raving lunatic about it. Be as polite and understanding as you can and you shouldn't have any problems. It was most likley a mistake on the employee's part. They don't always get all the important information on stuff like this.