Complaint Review: Compass Bank, BBVA Compass Bank

• Submitted: Sat, April 24, 2010
  • Updated: Mon, April 25, 2011

• Reported By: Brandon — texas Texas U.S.A.
Compass Bank, BBVA Compass Bank
113 North Friendswood Drive Friendswood, TX Internet United States of America

Compass Bank, BBVA Compass Bank Not posting deposits made at ATM Internet

*Consumer Comment: ATM deposits

*UPDATE Employee: good luck to you: just some info

*General Comment: banks suck

*Consumer Comment: How about giving this poster some advice???

*Consumer Suggestion: I understand....

*Author of original report: Not posted, Not Pending, like it does not exist

*Consumer Suggestion: Great Idea !

*General Comment: Business days...

*Consumer Comment: You are mistaken.

*Author of original report: Non-Business days?

*Author of original report: ATM deposit not being posted

*Consumer Comment: Non business days

*Consumer Comment: QUESTION FOR YOU

I just wanted to file a report against BBVA Compass Bank to the affect of NOT posting deposits made at ATM's. I had the same problem last week, but they did correct the one overdraft fee which arised from the situation. I was told at that time that it was indeed ok to make deposits at ATM's. And that any o/d fees arising from bank errors would be reversed. I will admit I have yet to contact the branch I made the deposit with about the issues this week.

The situation here is making deposits at the ATM, which are always cash. I do not deposit checks (payroll) because I don't want to wait 2-5 days for them to clear before I can access my funds. So I always go cash it at a check cashing place and deposit the cash at the ATM.

In this very instance, I made the deposit before 7a.m. April 23rd, 2010. Obviously, before the bank opened. I checked my account information online when I got home that evening, and could see the deposit in Pending Status. They claim they post deposits at midnight. However, when I checked this afternoon it was not posted, and nor was it still pending either. The bank was open until 1:00p.m. today, they had two business days already and the CASH which I deposited has STILL NOT posted.

The last time this happened I had to speak with the branch manager who was helpful and had the overdraft reversed. However, this time I think I may have problems do to the fact I had already spent once I made the deposit. Which did print a reciept showing the notes I had deposited, and my available balance. Only for it to disappear.

I called the Compass toll free number and was told by the person I was speaking to, "I don't know, I am not at the branch, I don't know if they were open today, I don't know when they should post items, no cash is not available immediately, the ATM ALWAYS prints your available balance showing your deposits made at ATM's". Needless to say I was very angry and did not have polite words for this person who apparently does know anything about the job that he holds.

I just want you all to beware, that your deposits will disappear that you make at ATM's, if they are cash anyway, and you will beat your head against the wall getting things sorted out. I am sure Monday or Tuesday it will be taken care of. But 4-5 days to post cash deposited to an ATM is very ridiculous. Especially when it is supposed to be taken from the ATM and posted to your account daily. This is CASH people, not a check they had to wait to clear.

As it stands right now I have 5 overdraft items and fees that I am supposed to pay according to my online banking. With my deposit not even showing as pending anymore, nor has it posted. I am getting tired of this crap.

FYI my balance was NOT negative last time, or this time that this fiasco has occurred, and I have only been banking with them for 3 weeks.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/24/2010 01:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Compass-Bank-BBVA-Compass-Bank/internet/Compass-Bank-BBVA-Compass-Bank-Not-posting-deposits-made-at-ATM-Internet-596218. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Compass Bank, BBVA Compass Bank

ATM deposits

AUTHOR: bama mom1230 - (United States of America)

At my bank, an atm deposit made before 4pm clears at midnight--except for Saturday or Sunday, which goes to the next processing day and clears at midnight Monday night.  It doesn't matter if it's cash or check--all the same.  Each bank is different.   Also, after reading your response to another poster, maybe being nicer would help get your problem resolved?

good luck to you: just some info

AUTHOR: Exemployee18 - (USA)

Just wanted to let you know how it works from the teller and banks angle.  I am not saying what they do is wrong or right.  Just providing information.  When items are deposited into an ATM they will affect your available account balance.  They will not post to protect incoming debits from drawing charges until the money affects your posted ledger balance.  The reason is that people could put counterfeit money or something else into the atm to affect your balance immediately.

In the morning as you were told the manager goes into the ATM and gets all the deposits out of the machine and runs them through the teller machines.  If cash is deposited it is run through a general ledger account and then throught the back office.  When the proof dept. (back office) receives this then it physically posts to your account and protects it from incoming debits.

In other words I always recommend waiting a day after you make the deposit before using the money.  If you deposit and go out immediately and use the money then it may cause and overdraft charge since it has not physically posted to your account balance otherwise known as a posted balance.

I hope this helps and good luck to you!

#3 General Comment

banks suck

AUTHOR: Bill d - (U.S.A.)

it sounds to me this is just another case of--living on the banks schedule--not yours-just made a CASH deposit and just want to use your debit cause you don't want to walk around with cash for whatever reason?---your daughter just has to get that new barbie that everyone else wants and they will be sold out shortly?--no--you can't--you have to wait for deposits and all transactions to clear before you do ANYTHING----otherwise you leave yourself open to overdraft--they will play with the dates of your transactions and purposly  get you in overdraft--banks are all a rip off--there should be a bank where your deposits are instant and you can withdraw instantly--if that deposit is bad(like a paycheck or whatever)--then you could be charged for overdraft----also---never try to get the exact amounts right with the bank---there numbers will NEVER be the same as your records---i go to the store for food--if the bill is 22$ i put in my records i paid 25$--i only use whole numbers--most people try the i have 6 dollars and spend 5.95--to me this doesn't work--and i see many posts about being that they knew they should have a dollar left

How about giving this poster some advice???

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

Yeah we can say Saturday is not a business day even though the bank is open for business..granted many do not know that however it is not an unreasonable assumption, just wrong.

And, we can come down on him about depositing at an ATM etc...

But, if the CASH deposit was in before opening Friday, I see no reason why cash should not be posted by closing of Friday. The banks ENCOURAGE customers to deposit at the ATM, hence it is not so unreasonable to expect customers to do thusly and CASH to be posted the same business day.

If this bank tries to pull any shenanigans by stating they can not find the deposit, you must lodge a dispute and they will eventually put the money back and reverse the fees. IF they claim the money is not found, you can fill out a federal form E and dispute it further, then they will reverse the charges/fees as well, but it may take a while.

In the meantime, ask your bank if the can put the funds back on a provisional basis until they are done investigating. They did this for me (another bank however) when I went to make a withdrawal at an ATM and it dispensed no cash or receipt..I was not too happy about that either but in the end in worked out in my favor.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

I understand....

AUTHOR: Amazed - (United States of America)

I understand you are getting ripped off ! I still say do your deposits inside the bank. And if there is a banking commission to report this to , amoung others , I would do it ASAP !

Not posted, Not Pending, like it does not exist

AUTHOR: Brandon - (USA)

You people are missing the point here. The BANK themselves told me that YES cash posts right then, when you make a cash deposit. The deposit was made FRIDAY MORNING before the bank even opened. Either way, whether it is done at 8a.m. or midnight that night, it should have posted THAT DAY. Yes?

Again, I will say IT WAS SHOWING UP ON MY ONLINE BANKING as pending, and the next day it was gone. IT WAS NOT PENDING ANYMORE and IT WAS NOT POSTED. In other words, it is like I never made the deposit. Understand it now?

#7 Consumer Suggestion

Great Idea !

AUTHOR: Amazed - (United States of America)

I have a COOL idea !

Why not walk INTO the bank and deposit money with a REAL teller and get a receipt ?

#8 General Comment

Business days...

AUTHOR: Edgeman - (U.S.A.)

Banks determine business days based on when the Federal Reserve is open (the banks' bank.) That is Mondays through Fridays except for any bank holidays. Some banks have branches that are open on Saturdays but generally speaking deposits made on Saturdays are considered to be part of the next business day's transactions (usually Mondays.)

For instance, I once deposited a check at a well known bank and asked the teller if the funds would be available on Monday. She said no, it would be considered a Monday deposit and the rest of the funds available on Tuesday.

I've never banked at Compass and don't know their policies or if their ATMs scan cash or take an envelope but every bank that I have done business with doesn't post ATM deposits until a business day or two has gone by.

You are mistaken.

AUTHOR: Robert - (USA)

You are mistaken or slightly confused.  Yes, the bank is open, with tellers manning the counter.  Had you entered the bank and made a cash deposit with a TELLER, your deposit would have been posted the same day (as long as you made the "cutoff time."

Business hours for ATM transactions are NOT the same as the bank's lobby hours (tellers at the window.)

My bank has signage posted INSIDE the lobby and outside at the ATM machine.  Atm transactions will be processed the NEXT BUSINESS DAY-business day does NOT INCLUDE, SATURDAY (even though the bank lobby is opened for limited hours), SUNDAY, and HOLIDAYS.  The teller window signage clearly states that transactions posted on Saturday will be processed the NEXT BUSINESS DAY.

I believe this is true for all U.S. banks.

You do need to read something.  You could start by going to the FDIC and Federal Reserve websites-both sites have a handbook you can download which clearly defines what the bank can and cannot do.  Once you understand the federal regulations regarding deposits and ATM transactions, you can adjust your banking habits occordingly so that this won't happen to you again.

Non-Business days?

AUTHOR: Brandon - (USA)

Well, maybe where you live non-business days are Saturdays. My bank is open from 9a.m. to 1p.m. on Saturdays. It IS a business day for them. I don't need to read anything, it was cash deposited. Showed an available balance, showed my deposit online in my account information, only to disappear. Somehow it just kicked the deposit out, where I have to call the bank and say hey my deposit I put in never showed up on my account. It's not there, like it didn't happen. Sundays and holidays, (days the bank is CLOSED) are non-business days. If your banks are not open where you reside on Saturdays, I could see why you would call that a non-business day.

ATM deposit not being posted

AUTHOR: Brandon - (U.S.A.)

Ok, well Kathie, lets see if you can follow this here.

1.) I go cash my check at a check cashing place, because it gets cashed, right then. There isn't a waiting period for it to clear, at which time I have access to none of my money. Because as you may, or obviously may not know, they do not just make checks available right away. They often hold them for sometimes 5-7 days to make sure they clear.

2.) I deposit the cash into the bank because my wife and I will tend to get a little carried away at times when we shouldn't with spending cash we have in our pockets. I am the only one with the debit card, because it is my account. I have a lot better control over where money gets spent when I have the debit card, and the cash is in the bank than when it is in my wallet sitting there to go spend. Not only that, obviously I don't have to worry about loosing every penny to my name if I get mugged or something like that.

3.) You have a hard time believing what? See, when an ATM accepts cash deposits, they are supposed to be picked up daily. As a matter of fact the branch I make my deposits told me the manager does these deposits on a daily basis, in the mornings. The deposit was made Friday morning. They also claim they post deposits first, then deduct the debits, and credit charges.

This isn't about merely the bank not posting it on time. Do you understand? You are missing one important fact here. It was showing on my account information as pending, along with everything else Friday evening. But then when I checked my account the following day, yesterday, at around 1:30 or so everything else was still pending, and some things had even posted, EXCEPT for my deposit. As far as the bank is concerned now, I did not make a deposit. Do you understand where I am takin you now? You pickin up what I am throwing down?

So now, I have to call the branch Monday, give them all kinds of different numbers off of the receipts I have from the ATM deposit, which is no big deal to me. I am certain they will credit all the overdraft fees they will try to charge, because no matter what way you cut the cake, this IS all bank error. It shouldn't take more than 24 hours to post cash to anybody's count unless it was done just before closing on a Saturday. And most any bank in the land makes cash available immediately. Which is exactly what this ATM printed on my reciepts, what I saw online, etc. Until somehow my deposit just disappeared. Like I, or anybody else is that stupid to honestly just forget we just deposited all of our money in the bank and let them have it.

That is the ripoff. If you can't understand that, then maybe you should just stop reading.

Non business days

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Saturdays, Sundays and holidays are considered non-business days.  The earliest your funds would be available to draw against would be Monday, a business day.

Read through your account agreement.  There will be a section in it that details your banks funds availability policy.  Most banks will make cash available the business day after your deposit.

I would wager that the refund you received for any OD charges was a courtesy refund.  You probably won't get another.

Have your payroll check direct deposited, if you have that option available to you.  The funds are available the day they are received.

QUESTION FOR YOU

AUTHOR: Kathie - (USA)

I have a hard time believing these cash deposit "rip off" stories so I hope you can help me understand...

Why would you deposit cash and then go use your debit card for purchases?  Why wouldn't you just keep your cash and use it for your purchases?

1) You're paying a check cashing facility to cash your check

2) You're paying overdraft fees to your bank because they "rip you off" and "manipulate your deposits"

It seems to me you're losing an awful lot of your hard earned money for no reason.