Complaint Review: Compass Bank

• Submitted: Thu, July 30, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, December 26, 2009

• Reported By:Auburn Alabama
Compass Bank
College Street Auburn, Alabama U.S.A.
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Compass Bank Fraudulent NSF fees Auburn Alabama

*Consumer Comment: I'll just with draw my money and close my account

*Consumer Comment: BBVA Compass Bank are blood sucking maggots

*Consumer Comment: You Didn't Have $31 in the Bank

*Consumer Suggestion: Suggestion

Compass Bank is a terrible bank to start with. I had $31 in the bank on the 21st. I went to Subway for a $4 sub that day for lunch. Also got a $4 sub the next day. That was it until a full week later. I went out of town $6 to Starbucks, $6 to a sandwich shop on the 27th.

I should have had $7 dollars in the bank. Now granted, I did purchase one last meal at a restaurant that should have put me over on the 28th.. thats ok, I can own up to it when its my fault.

Not to mention Compass RIPS YOU OFF with $38 dollar NSF CHARGES!!!!!!

Next day I check my balance and it says -$200! I pull up my online and a NSF charge is what ACTUALLY overdrafted me!!! they gave me a NSF charge (which obviously cleaned out the account) before any of the charges ever even hit the bank!!!!!!!

So I have five $38 dollar NSF charges and only 3 things that bounced. and the first 2 only bounced because the stuck me an NSF charge BEFORE I OVERDREW.

I got 2 NSF charges for Subway ($4 subs!) when it blatently says I had $27 in the bank AFTER it hit.

This is what it looks like:
7/21/09 Subway $4 Balance $27
7/28/09 Restaurant $20 Balance -$86
7/28/09 NSF Charge $38 Balance -$124
7/28/09 NSF Charge $38 Balance -$162
7/28/09 NSF Charge $38 Balance -$200

this HAS to be illegal.. but its not because banks get to do whatever they want to.

Im still so mad I cant see straight... its not right, and they won't fix it.

Im done with this bank... many people told me that they were crooked, but I guess I just had to learn the hard way

Screwed by compass
Auburn, Alabama

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/30/2009 06:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Compass-Bank/Auburn-Alabama-36830/Compass-Bank-Fraudulent-NSF-fees-Auburn-Alabama-475118. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Compass Bank

I'll just with draw my money and close my account

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (USA)

I'll just withdraw all my money due to there,  employee giving me dirty looks.  I was not rude or anything this was In the auburn bank.   I did not appericate that @ all.   I have been banking with them for years.

It just takes 1 time for a employee to,  be rude to me for no reason.   For me to quit doing business with them!.

BBVA Compass Bank are blood sucking maggots

AUTHOR: Bronxboi - (U.S.A.)

Listen you probably did not have the available funds in your account but I do agree with you that BBVA Compass Bank is a little agressive when looking for fees. I am in the process of closing my account with them because I can't take there tricks anymore. Do you notice how direct deposits not only get posted last in the morning but also they do not add it to the posted balance till the next day. Also, the super agressive manner in which they apply fees before the items actually hit the bank. This process causes a churning effect that is almost impossible to recover from. With BBVA Compass there is practically no way to recover from a small mistake because they have devised ways to slow down deposits and accellerate the withdrawal process. My recommendation stay away from them. By the way BBVA just had their credit ratings lowered by Moody's they are in need of money (stay away).

You Didn't Have $31 in the Bank

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

That's the problem with your analysis. Your available balance was quite a bit less than that - in fact the available balance was between $0 and $4 when you made the Subway purchases. Those two purchases are your 1st NSF's, then the other 2 purchases plus the restaurant bill finished it off. NSF's are not based on your account balance - they are based on the available balance in the account. In other words, you can legitimately incur an NSF fee while having a positive account balance. That's what happens when you use a debit card with such frequency. Here is an exampe of what I'm talking about:

Let's say you have $100 available and as your account balance. You spend $60 on groceries and pay for them with your debit card. Great. So the next day, you look online and your account balance says $100. Why? Because the store won't put the debit through for 48-96 hours. But you forget about that - after all your account balance shows $100. So you go to your ATM and withdraw $60.00. Your account shows a balance of $40.00. The next day you look online and your balance now shows as $4 with a $36 NSF fee. Why? Because you only had $40 available and you withdrew $60, giving you an available balance of ($20). That's how this works.

There is nothing illegal about this practice; in fact in a case decided just this year, a class action lawsuit was decertified by the courts for the practice you deemed illegal. In other words, the court found the class could not prove they exercised due care (not keeping a register, not understanding how debit cards work) in the management of their accounts. They blamed the bank. The courts didn't see it that way. The practice is legal.

Your best bet would be to stop using a debit card for any purchase under $10; keep a written check register of all your transactions and stop relying on the bank's online system to tell you what your balance is. That's not it's intended use.

Best of luck to you.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Suggestion

AUTHOR: Nancy - (U.S.A.)

I know how you can avoid those charges. DON'T use your debit card for a $4 or a $6 purchase. Take out cash and use that. THe debit card is NOT a toy and it is not a right. Also, what did your check register say your balance was? OH. I''ll bet you don't have one! Try keeping one . Amazing things will happen. ALL banks are the same and you will have the same problems at another bank if you keep on doing what you are doing now.