Complaint Review: Compass Bank

• Web:
  • Category: Banks

Compass Bank Overdraft fees scam Ripoff! Austin Texas

*Consumer Comment: Hey Stephanie, those were nice sentiments

*Consumer Comment: It's not just Compass - Washington Mutual is just as bad...

*Consumer Comment: This and many other "Bank" posts

*Consumer Suggestion: Helpful Tip

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Agreed...

*Consumer Comment: Two Truths

*Consumer Comment: My Story

*Consumer Comment: nsf equals me not paying

*UPDATE Employee: Compass isn't perfect, but isn't all bad either

*Consumer Comment: Took my business elsewhere

*Consumer Suggestion: Taking responsibility for one's actions is the key!

*Consumer Comment: Awfully Defensive and Rude

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Its them, they are out to get your money

*Consumer Comment: What's the problem?

*Consumer Comment: What's the problem?

*Consumer Comment: She is absolutely right and CompassBank lives on NSF fees

*Consumer Suggestion: Sounds like the only person you should be mad at..

*Consumer Comment: You Don't need a checking account, Tiffany!!!

I have used this bank for probably 2 years now. They have consistently made me pay OUTRGEOUS overdraft fees. They are the highest I believe of all banks, $36, then $6 for each day your acct. is over drawn! I thought it was my fault so I kept trying and trying to do right by this, but I've learned, IT"S THEM!

The reason this is ludicrous to me, I have tried and tried to keep with my balance, both by receipts, and at the end of the day, spending 30 min., to an hour to go through them all; or the alternative of checking the balance per website every hour to make sure it was accurate. Neither of these have worked.

I have paid overdraft charges every single month for at least a year. I do not even want to think about how much money it is, I'll be sick. I've complained to them, the CS over the phone are rude, and the bank people, while nice, act apethetic. I'm SOOO pissed off about this, I've tried to post this in a nice way on another website, but guess what? they wont let you bad mouth banks!

That's one of the few businesses that they have on there that you cant post anything about! My friends warned me about this bank, to all others: STAY AWAY!!!! there are far better banks out there, this is NOT the one to "try" for ANY period of time!

Tiffany
Austin, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/01/2005 10:14 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Compass-Bank/Austin-Texas-78703/Compass-Bank-Overdraft-fees-scam-Ripoff-Austin-Texas-144668. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Compass Bank

Hey Stephanie, those were nice sentiments

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Now, how about those of us who can do simple 1st grade math. We don't pay any overdraft fees.

Most people in this country are lower to middle class. Also, most people do NOT pay overdraft fees. This because most people can add and subtract simple numbers.

If you do not spend a penny more than you have, you too will be free from fees.

It's not just Compass - Washington Mutual is just as bad...

AUTHOR: Stephanie - (U.S.A.)

If not worse. I don't feel necessarily that I need to file a rip-off report, or else there would be MILLIONS against Washington Mutual, but that practice of making money off your account by posting the largest drafts first etc etc etc is just B.S. -- the "middle class" will never get ahead this way, and we're not. It's not like I have THOUSANDS in a savings to use as overdraft protection. And some of us don't qualify for an overdraft line of credit. That doesn't make us criminals - it makes us people with paychecks, paying taxes, and getting bled dry by banks.

This and many other "Bank" posts

AUTHOR: Aafes - (U.S.A.)

The problem posters have with this and other "the bank rips me off" posts has nothing to do with any of the banks. Banks are for profit businesses and are going to do everything to make and keep the billions of dollars they make in fee income every year. They have stockholders to answer to, and the average, middle or low income customer is only a tool to that end.

Fee income, overdraft and NSF fees primarily, make up the majority of any banks profits annually. Add interest from loans and you have the profit end of their business profile. The bank makes NO money from letting anyone have a "free checking or savings" account. How would a bank stay in business simply allowing themselves to be a funnel for your money?

In my opinion the problem, nationwide, stems from the advent of the debit/check card. Before these financial tools became available the average person either paid in cash or wrote checks and dutifully entered the transaction in their checkbook register. Now you see few checks, the majority of financial transactions are debit transactions and perhaps 1 in 20 times you will witness someone use a debit card and stop and enter the transaction in their register.

The underlying thought - I have direct deposit or deposited my check of say $500.00 - Now, I can spend $500.00 on things I need or want. Most people miss or forget the fact that almost all banks have a limit on free debit transactions in a month. After say 10 are allowed you may be paying a $0.25 fee for the transaction. This simple $0.25 fee if you spend $500.00 of your $500.00 deposit is enough to overdraw you with a single transaction. All subsequent transactions are paid or denied with the NSF/Overdraft fee added - pure profit. This is how the banks want to keep things.

The other failing many people have today is planning so poorly that they believe they can deposit a paycheck at 3:30 pm Friday and spend the entire amount before Monday. The theory - I deposited my check first, now I have money to spend. They either write checks or make debit transactions and the next business day the bank posts the DEBITS from the account first then posts the CREDIT (paycheck) to the account. Despite common belief not all debit card transactions are automatically deducted. They are processed by a payment service and sent as a batch file to the bank. Yes an inquiry on your account is normally made electronically to see if funds are in the account - but not always.

The debit/check card and early spending is most often the problem. The solution - Deposit your check well BEFORE the close of the banking day if at all possible. Don't spend before the next banking day occurs if at all possible and AVOID using the debit card at all costs.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: A.R. - (U.S.A.)

You/re right Tiffany-Compass is unscrupulous. You aren't too poor to have a bank account but they know you do need one.That's what they think. Wait it out they will offer settlement through their collections company. Ignore the first or even second offer but never surrender until you are satisfied. It takes awhile but it sure chaps their hide! I've met people of all ages,sexes, walks of life and tax brackets that have the same gripe with this bank. Keep your head up-you did nothing wrong and screw the non-believers.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

#6 Consumer Suggestion

#7 Consumer Suggestion

#8 Consumer Suggestion

Helpful Tip

AUTHOR: David - (U.S.A.)

I had the same problems as many listed in this thread. In fact, regardless of how mad I was at the time, I think the issues are so well covered on this page that they do not need to be posted. My entire family, including myself, used to bank at compass. After about $700 in fees, I decided to give compass the finger and take my money elsewhere. After explaining the situation to my family, they decided to move their accounts to Desert Schools(the credit union I have used ever since). Compass lost several accounts due to that decision. The amount of interest they could have charged others to borrow the money invested in those accounts exceeds several times over the amount they took from me in fees. Both my mom and my sister were successful in convincing several of their friends to switch from compass. None of them have regretted the move. Ultimately, Compass has lost several thousand dollars in potential profits. I really hope the few hundred dollars they took in fees was worth it.

The moral of the story, and my advice to others, is to encourage every one you can to stay as far away from Compass as possible. I have shared my story with hundreds of people over the last few years, and belive I have denied compass several clients. Meanwhile, Desert Schools Credit Union received several new accounts from my family and from friends of mine, and we all love the great service and extremely capable and always up to date online services. Let your money talk for you! When you see this happen to someone else, encourage them to do the same, and to take friends and family with them whenever possible.

Compass is one company most definately deserving of the repeated rip-off reports it has earned itself. Way to go rip off report and concerned consumers for sharing the stories!

#9 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Agreed...

AUTHOR: Lori - (U.S.A.)

I am an ex-employee of Compass Bank. In fact, I use to run head of operations for 7 years. I got offered a much better position for Hibernia and was glad for it.

I too state that they have the best game when it comes to NSF charges. I have worked in the banking business for 22 years and have never known anything like it. The reason I stayed? Family to support and I chose not to bank with Compass..ahahah We stayed with Bank One all those years. Let me state a fact that other banks agree that Compass is not a reputable bank and they laugh at it's methods but applaud it's end results!

#10 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Julie - (U.S.A.)

I worked for Compass Bank briefly. I couldn't take it for many reasons (and I had worked at a bank previously for a couple of years). I helped customers on different occasions who had NSF fees but no where could I find in their history where they had gone overdrawn. I thought that was very fishy. Now, I am trying to pay off my credit card with them. I have always paid and paid early. They tried to tell me I didn't make my February payment.

I called several times to try and take care of this. I just got a copy of the cashed check proving I had made my payment. Now they say the payment was made. However, since the worker didn't seem to know what he was doing, I asked for it in writing that my account was in good-standing. He said I would be charged $7 for that. I would be charged for pursuing their mistake? I don't think so. Plus, he was rude and basically hung up on me. I have had many troubles with them. And for the Compass supporters who think that anyone who has an issue with this bank must be stupid or careless, I do take care of my account and make my payments on time. And if I make a mistake, I will own up to it. I just want Compass to do the same.

#11 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#12 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Two Truths

AUTHOR: Joseph - (U.S.A.)

First. The people who are saying "I don't know what your problem is" or "it's your fault" are probably bankers defending this practice.

Second. NSF and Overdraft charges are the single largest money maker for branches. Banks are leaning on this type of revenue because they are not making as much on loans and other services (it's called "fee income"). The people in the branch understand that $36 for an overdraft of $1 or $2 is ridiculous but their hands are tied. They cannot just refund these charges** because they are held accountable and questioned.

Banks will actually change the way they "recognize" items in order to gain income...There is a large national bank that changed the order items that clear in order to gain "fee income" from NSF's and overdrafts - they went from crediting deposits for the day before debiting items to processing items in the order they come in (for the day). This instantly created more overdraft fee income (Other banks are doing this or plan on doing it).

**Don't think that the person at the branch does not reverse charges; they do...but only if you have a lot of money in the bank (in a CD or saving) or a loan that the branch does not want to lose.

This practice preys on those with a lower income. Let's be honest. Why would the bank agree to give a free account, free checks, free online banking and a free check card to someone who is only going to deposit a few hundred dollars a week?

Guess what. If you refuse to pay these, you're screwed. Banks use a service that tells if you have an overdrawn account elsewhere (or a charged off account). Until you pay these off, you cannot open another bank account.

#14 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

I use CompassBank for both personal and business and so far enjoy their services.

I recommend existing CompassBank checking customers to establish a overdraft protection line of credit. The cost is reasonable -- $12/day when OD LOC is used on a particular day. In other words, if the LOC is used to pay 10 overdrawn items on a single day, only one $12 fee is accessed, compared to the $360 NSF fee.

As other pointed out earlier, businesses, including mine, exist to make a profit. No service is "free". For CompassBank, their "free" checking packages are likely subsidized by NSF fees and crossselling of their other products and services.

#15 Consumer Suggestion

#16 Consumer Suggestion

My Story

AUTHOR: Jeffrey - (U.S.A.)

It must be so nice for those people who always know how much money they have in their accounts. As of this moment, I could not tell you. Why? Because Compass wants you to keep overdrafting and run up outrageous fees. Two weeks ago I checked my balance on an ATM machine. It showed that I had approx -$90 in my account. I had not charged anything that day. By the time I got to the bank and deposited my check, it was approx -$350. I had been very sick for some time so I dismissed this as my own fault for not keeping up with my account. I started fresh and kept track of my acount. I went by to deposit my check again today. My balance was -$550 when I showed that I should have had over $100. I went in to speak to someone, who explained that they had not taken out 4 NSF charges. Therefore, the last ten charges I had made, which were no more than $10 each, all received the $36 NSF fee. I told the lady that I wanted to close my account. She said that I could not because there were still three outstanding transactions, all of which will also receive the NSF charge. Therefore, instead of having $100 in my account, I have approximately -$650. However, I don't know for sure because they supposedly cannot tell me. The fact is, yes, it was my fault that my account was originally overdrafted two weeks ago. However, by failing to notifying me of what my balance is, they allowed me to believe that I had more money in my account than I did. That would be their fault. As a bank, I'm sure they can pretty much do anything they want to do with my money and get away with it. However, as a business, they should do more to help their customers. I truly beleive that they have practices in place to manipulate people so that they are costantly in question as to their account balances. If I have made a payment, take the money out. If I have an NSF fee, take it out. Don't leave it lingering about until it's more profitable to slap another fee on top of. As for me, I'm closing my account with Compass. However, I have some charging to do first! (P.S. It's though, not thow)

nsf equals me not paying

AUTHOR: Matt - (U.S.A.)

i do understand the whole "overdraft fee", but how can one describe me overdrafting an overdrafted account? i had the same thing happen. I deposited $100 to cover $100 worth of bills, but they charged me a small fee for something then next thing i know they hit me with 2, yes 2, nsf fees. First debit $22, next one $63, but they took $63 first knowing i didn't have enough to cover late fees on both. My account was negative already, i go to target buy $2 shampoo because i left wallet at home, they went ahead and let it through knowing damn well my account was already negative $55 from previous 2 transactions. How can you allow someone to buy something on a negative account? Funny thing is is that i have compassonline and not once did they notify me that my bank account was negative, nor did they call to get current. They simply mailed a crappy post card saying: "We paid these on your behalf, please contact us". Funny how they paid the higher one first knowing that would make both debits in cycle to be negative making $85 turn in to $160, then the $2 shampoo turning into $38 shampoo. Now i owe $200 for $87 worth of stuff which i already had enough in the bank for. Anyhow, now today they send me letter stating i owe $400? Why not close the account, and send me a f&^&*^*&ing bill!! Instead of dragging it on? I'm in Texas, so they can do 1 of 2 things: close my account and allow me to make payments OR i will NOT pay at all. Screw the credit report. I'll write the bureaus saying it was fraud and it will clear up everything just like it always does. When you request to close or freeze an account, they are legally obligated to do so, even if there is a negative balance.

Compass isn't perfect, but isn't all bad either

AUTHOR: R - (U.S.A.)

I am writing this response because I feel that both sides of this issue have gotten out of hand. I am a Compass Bank employee. I am a person just like you, I work to pay my bills and wish to keep my hard earned money. I DO take offense at being called a "Compasshole" as well as the many other things some people on this website have decided to call myself and my fellow employees.

To begin with, Compass is a bank. Banks are in business to make money. This being said, we want to make money in a legitimate manner. NSF fees are something that all banks charge. These fees range from (Nationally) $29 - $40 depending on which state you live in. Mainly the "ripoffs" that Compass has committed as reported on this website is charging $36 per fee.

Whenever you open a checking account with Compass, we have a form that we have you to sign that is an addendum to our consumer disclosure agreement. This form basically states that if your account overdrafts, we will charge you $36 per incident. We also have what is called extended overdraft which means your account has has a negative balance for a period of six calendar days, which at that time we charge you an additional $36. Mathmatically it appears as if you are being charged $6 per day of having a negative balance, however, if you clear up your account on the fifth day you haven't been charged the extended overdraft fee.

Now on to some questions and answers that'll make your life, as well as mine, easier.

1. Why does Compass charge $36 per NSF and $36 per six days of overdraft? It's simple. If there were no punishment for overdrafting your account, possibly causing the bank a loss, what would keep you from doing it? If you knew there were no consequences to writing worthless checks knowing your bank would pay them we'd lose money left and right. NSF charges also allow the bank to make money (we know we make money) and apply that money to the losses we have experienced through NSF check-writing, charged off accounts, defaulted car loans, etc. This is our outlet for recouping our losses without raising interest rates, checking account fees, etc.

2. If I wrote the check yesterday and my deposit comes through at midnight tonight, why did I get charged $36? You got charged $36 because you did what we call in the banking industry "floating" or "kiting" checks. You tried to beat the system and it didn't work. You wrote checks on funds that you had hoped would be in the account before the check came through. With Check-21 this is sometimes virtually impossible. If you live in what is known as a Federal Reserve Processing city or state your check may clear on the night it was written.

3. Isn't Check 21 just something the banks made up to get more fees? No. The government, mainly the president, introduced Check-21. The idea behind Check-21 is that it will efficiently clear checks in a shorter amount of time, cut bank losses by reducing fraud, and protect merchants from fraud losses. Check-21 also helps fight the funding of terrorism because of banks' abilities to see activity much sooner and to be able to report back under the Patriot Act.

4. Don't you hold my check for 11 days knowing it's probably good just to make money? No. We do not hold checks unnecessarily just for the fun of it. We hold checks if your account doesn't have a sufficient balance to repay the bank for its loss if the check doesn't clear. Meaning, yes, we can call the other bank and verify funds availability. But in the time the check is submitted for payment, those funds could have been withdrawn. If the check is for a hefty amount and you don't have those funds, you are at a loss as well as Compass.

5. If you held my check because you didn't want to have a loss, but you paid checks on my account, wasn't that just as bad? No. If we pay checks on your account because the funds were not available, we have recourse. You as our customer have provided us with your personal information and if we must seek reimbursement, that is a possibility. If we clear a check and you spend the money and it comes back, we still have to charge it back to your account and at that point our loss is much higher.

These are the main questions I see asked on Ripoff Report. There are certainly more, but these are the most popular. While Compass does charge NSF fees, we are willing to refund these fees to you in certain situations. We'll refund fees if we have made a mistake, if it was an honest mistake on your part (limited to two refunds per life of the account), or if it was the fault of another (i.e. fraud). Repeated NSF fees only point to one thing, and it usually isn't the bank's fault.

Here is how to get NSF fees reversed. Come into the branch and kindly ask to speak to a checking manager. Explain the situation as calmly as you can without raising your voice (screaming and cussing) and you will be assisted to the best of that person's ability. If you can carry on a conversation like a decent and respectable person, you'll get much further than if you scream and cuss at us. If you scream and cuss and call us thieves and liars your liklihood of getting a fee reversal is slim to none.

Advice on using your debit card. The things we see most are people that have gone out and used their debit card against funds they had available. Once the bank authorizes the card a hold is placed on that money for a period of time from 24-72 hours. At the end of the hold period if the bank has not had any draft submitted to us by the merchant, we release the hold and make the funds available to you again. If you choose to spend those funds and then the merchant does submit the draft on the 5th day, you just overdrafted. Also, if you are very close in your checking account and have things that are going to drain your balance, please don't pay for your gas at the pump. Most gas merchants run anywhere from a $1 to $75 authorization on your card. If you have $100 in your account and stop and get gas and the merchant runs a $75 authorization you now have $25 in your account to clear other transactions. If you have a $30 charge coming through, you just overdrafted.

Now that we've covered the bad, let's go over the good as to what Compass can offer you. At Compass, we see people as people worthy of being treated fairly and with respect. We'd never say someone is too poor to have access to banking services.

A service that we actually offer and one that accounts for a large portion of our customers is our Second Chance Checking program. We are willing to open you an account when other banks won't. If you are reported to Telecheck or ChexSystems because of NSF fees and overdrafts at another bank, we're still willing to allow you to have access to a checking account. If you're reported to ChexSystems most other banks will not help you with an account at all for five years. There is a $5 fee per month for this account and if you clear up your overdraft fees with the other bank in six months we'll convert it to our free account.

Our free account at Compass is free. Totally free. There is no minimum balance requirement and no direct deposit requirement. We give you free checks for life, triple free ATMs, as well as free online bill pay, account management, etc.

Our triple free ATMs apply to everyone with a free account. What we mean by triple free is that if you use another bank's ATM we won't charge you a fee for using that ATM and if the ATM's owner charges you a fee, we'll pay it. All you have to do is bring your statement in and we'll refund it to you as an account credit within 10 days.

I'm sorry that this reply has been so long, but perhaps this information can help someone. Compass is a bank ran largely by people. People make mistakes, computers can make mistakes. I wish we were perfect, but we aren't. If there's a problem because of our error, we'll fix it. If there's a problem because of your error, well, you'll have to fix it.

Took my business elsewhere

AUTHOR: Kyle - (U.S.A.)

I went to AZ federal credit union and I couldn't be happier, Thank goodness there is actually a bank out there that acts like a loan shark ready to break your legs and bleed you dry every chance they get.

Compass bank is horrible, its so hard these days to know who to trust with your money. Fine, if you keep $10k in your account at all times and you never dip below $1k then you may be fine, but for anyone that runs it close from time to time this will always happen to you with these guys. And the people that it happens to the most are the ones who can least afford it.

#21 Consumer Suggestion

Taking responsibility for one's actions is the key!

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

This is the first time I visit this site and came upon many comments on Compass bank. I realize that most complaints could be avoided if the individuals simply exercised common sense. I taught my sons years ago the following:

1. Register all transactions in your check register before or at the time of transaction.
2. Do not use ATM's. Planning ahead of time will allow you to get cash from the bank when needed and avoid overdrafts.
3. Never write a check if you do not have the money in the bank available.
4. Keep deposit receipts in case you encounter a problem at the bank.
5. Don't expect favors from the bank if you make a mistake. They are in business to make money and simply don't care.

I have been banking with compass for 5 years, both personally and for my business. We do not have bank cards or ATM cards but rather use credit cards and pay, yes pay the entire balance when we get the bill. The result is that we never pay interests, nor do we pay any bank fees for our accounts. They don't make money with us but rather we make money with them.
Their customer service department is useless since it does not matter how often you call, if they make a mistake they will tell you it will be fixed and they do nothing about it.

Banks are businesses that exist for profit, just like any other business. It is however our responsibility to use sound judgement with money and not expect that because a check was paid or that money was acquired at the ATM that everything is OK. Yes late fees, NSF fees and any thing they can charge you with is outrageous, from your perspective. However, it is always those who are irresponsible that end up paying so that guys like me can take advantage of free services because you pay all the fees for us.
Don't take this as an insult thow! Take responsibility, use common sense and you too will take advantage of the benefits.

AUTHOR: Chris - (U.S.A.)

Compass employees posting on here calling people "Too poor" to manage a checking account. Well Compasshole employee your rudeness just proves our points about Compass Bank and their deceptive practices. Got something to hide so you feel the need to discredit anyone who speaks against your banks scamming practices.

If you are so intelligent and weathly (enough to have more money in your accounts at all times to avoid any fees) then why are you posting here if you ARE NOT an Compasshole employee, bank exective or shareholder????? Is your life sooo unfulfilling, so boring, are you really so pathetic that you have nothing better to do with your time then to harass people, to discredit them, to make them seem inferior to yourself? Does it make you feel better to put others down? Do you "get off" or feel superior being such a jerk? Do you have self esteem issues? Do you feel intimated by your employer that you go home and beat your wife and kids? Do you still live with your mommy? Are you so replusive that no one wants to have sex with you???

How does it feel to have someone discredit you? To treat you like your nothing, to laugh at you? To call you names and make fun of you?
Boy I feel sooo superior now! I beat the smart, rich guy at his own game!!! I sunk to his level. Think I'll go in my trailor house, drink a beer and watch the Dukes of Hazzard now while I wait around for my welfare check.

Awfully Defensive and Rude

AUTHOR: Elaina - (U.S.A.)

Where do some of you people get off?!?! ("You obviously don't know how to balance a checkbook or are so poor you can't afford to have a bank account.".) You seem like you take other people's opinions about "your bank" way too personally. What makes you think you have a right to insult or degrade anyone here?

What goes around, comes around, my friend...it might not happen to you in the form of an NSF fee or an overdrafting account, but one day (and you will remember this..) something will happen to you. When it does, think back about your pompous, narcissitic attitude...you had it coming.

The whole point here, is that there is an incredible lack of customer service in today's businesses. Perhaps an overwhelming breeding of rude people just like yourself.

We have a right to chose a bank that treats us fairly and courteously. Taking debits out prior to deposits, from greatest to least and charging outrageous fees is just not good business. In all my years of banking, I have never been with a bank that practiced this way.

#27 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Its them, they are out to get your money

AUTHOR: Kyle - (U.S.A.)

That is incorrect.

All the banks I have EVER banked with, other than Compass, even the bank of death itself, Wells Fargo, always put your deposits(as long as they are cash or electronic) in before the days deposits. If they post that day then they are first in line. Not last, this seems to be a compass only policy, just to increase the fees.

With check 21 now in effect for more and more and more banks using it, you could make a cash deposit, they put the check in that night, hits your account, they re-arrage it and make it look like you tried to spend money you didn't have.

My suggestion?? Take your business elsewhere.

These banks, love fees. They probably make the biggest portion of their bottom line from fees. So whenever you try to get that back, you are trying to cut into thier profits, so of course they don't want to cooperate with you.

Find a bank, that will treat you like a real person. Instead of trying to make you feel guilty for stuff thats not your fault, are you a criminal for overdrafting your account?? Well, maybe if they clearly stated the way they did things, then this wouldn't happen so much, but they even go against their own policies, to flat out rip you off.

So far, my banking experience with them is the abolute worst.

What's the problem?

Larry:

The paperwork you received when you opened your account clearly states that they will process the debits first on any given day from largest to smallest. All banks have this practice.

As to your pay hitting the last day of the month that is probably the effective date of the transaction. Even though they may have the transaction a couple of days prior they do not receive the funds from your company's account and are not to make the payment available until the effective date.

You obviously think the bank should float you money so that you can pre spend. Grow up and get a grip on your accounta so that you don't have this problem.

What's the problem?

Larry:

She is absolutely right and CompassBank lives on NSF fees

AUTHOR: Larry - (U.S.A.)

While you certainly shall balance your account and don't force into overdraft but sometimes it happens and WHEN it happens CompassBank arranges both your debits and credits in SUCH AN ORDER to maximize NSF fees. Here is examples what they do
1. Put credits after debits so you get NSF fees on debits even though they had credit available
2. Arranging debits in such an order that biggest debits are coming before smaller ones. THis maximimizes NSF fess.
Below is summary of my account where both issues plain shown.

05/31/2005 CREDIT REG.SALARY $1,758.64
05/27/2005 COSTCO GAS $23.90
05/27/2005 TOM THUMB $27.07
05/27/2005 COSTCO WHSE #0 $34.84
05/27/2005 FED CLEARING $450.07
Take a note on 05/27 all debits are arranged in descening order which forces my account in overdraft. If debits will be arranged in any other way NSF fess will not be paid on EACH of THEM but only on which my account become negative.
Look further on 05/31 I received my salary and there were some debits on the same day. Note that debits are put before credit which again is done to maximize fees. Also note that this was direct deposit which usually available to banks in several days in advance but they still put it on the last day of the month plus after all debits.
My suggestion which feel Compass bank using shady practices - complain to attorney general. Fill in online form https://www.oag.state.tx.us/forms/cpd/cpd_getcounty.php
I did mine, if you do yours and so on they will have to investigate.
Again, I'm not against them charging overdraft fees I'm against them arranging financial flas in such a way that bank will maximimize their NSF fees.

#31 Consumer Suggestion

Sounds like the only person you should be mad at..

Is you.

I am the same way, I used to hedge on money and then ended up bouncing a few checks and the fees, no matter where you go, are high. There is a point to this, it is to teach you not to bounce checks. The assumption is the punishment (the overdraft fees) will make you realize your errors and change your ways.

The bank didn't do a thing wrong. You did, you bounced checks. You should accept responsibility for your actions and make an effort to do better in the future.

You Don't need a checking account, Tiffany!!!

AUTHOR: Doug - (U.S.A.)

You should operate on CASH ONLY!!! You obviously don't know how to balance a checkbook or are so poor you can't afford to have a bank account. Why is it always the bank's fault when you try to spend more than you have?

I have banked at Compass for a couple of years now and have never been hit for a single fee for anything. Why? Because I keep more money in my account than I spend!!! What a concept.

Move you account to another bank and keep overdrafting it if you don't like Compass. ALL banks like collecting fees from people that try spending more than they have. That's what makes checking "Free" for the rest of us!!!