Complaint Review: Compuserve

• Submitted: Mon, November 10, 2003
  • Updated: Tue, November 11, 2003

• Reported By:Springfield Oregon
Compuserve
P.O. Box 28650 Jacksonville, Florida U.S.A.

Compuserve, Circuit City, Compaq Computer, $400 Rebate Ripoff - Breach Of Contract Signed up for 2 year contract, Compuserve says 3 years. Jacksonville Florida

*Consumer Comment: I have the same rebate from Circuit City/Compuserve

In June of 2001 I bought a Compaq laptop from Circuit City, and entered into what I was told was a 2 year contract with Compuserve, for a $400 rebate. At $21.95, this comes out to $526.80 over the 2 years. I already had AOL and a broadband Internet service and didn't need a second Online Service, but felt that paying only $126.80 for 2 years of online service with a $400 rebate was a "good deal."

Upon calling Compuserve to cancel in June of 2003, since it had been 2 years (and because I literally HATE their service), I was told that my contract was for 3 YEARS! Which is NOT TRUE! I know that I would NOT have entered into a contract with Compuserve for 3 years. Besides being entirely TOO LONG.. this is NOT a good deal.. $790.20 for a $400 rebate?? I know how to do my math. Which is exactly what I feel Compuserve does.. prey's on people who don't do the math.. then they just change the contract on you.

Well I canceled my bank card.. so no more auto withdrawals from Compuserve.

I don't care Compuserve.. go ahead report it on my credit!

Miss
Springfield, Oregon

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/10/2003 09:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Compuserve/Jacksonville-Florida/Compuserve-Circuit-City-Compaq-Computer-400-Rebate-Ripoff-Breach-Of-Contract-Signed-71554. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Compuserve

I have the same rebate from Circuit City/Compuserve

AUTHOR: Bertha - (U.S.A.)

I have the same rebate from when I bought my laptop at Circuit City too. It IS a 3-year contract. Remember all the register receipts you were asked to sign when you bought your laptop? One of those was the Compuserve contract that you agreed to and SIGNED. It sounds like you did not read it, just signed away and left the store with your new laptop. Go review your copy of that contract. What, you can't find it, you say? Go back to Circuit City - it is stored in the store's computer and they can print you another copy. At any rate, never sign anything without reading it and getting your facts straight!