• Report: #602075

• Updated: Mon, October 11, 2010

• Reported By: Pissed off Customer — California USA
Computer Repair
Modesto, California United States of America

Computer Repair Messed up our computer. Cashed check in 10 min. Never returned to fix PC. Modesto, California

*Consumer Comment: You get what you pay for

*Consumer Comment: You get what you pay for

*General Comment: Are you from this planet?

Robert came into our home to remove a virus from our computer.  Our computer crashed while he was servicing it.  He said he would have to rebuild the operating system, but our data would not be lost.  Robert reinstalled Windows XP using what we later found to be an illegal Microsoft license, wiping our hard drive, and deleting all of our photos.  He said he had a data recovery program at his office, and he would return the next evening to recovery our files.  He required us to pay him cash, but we insisted on paying by check.  Our check was cashed in 10 minutes and he won't return our calls, or answer his phone.

Robert advertises his services on Craigslist at http://modesto.craigslist.org/sys and would not tell us where his "business" was located.  He would only fix our computer if we would grant him access to our home. A set of our house & car keys and our checkbook were found missing after he left. Now we are afraid he may come back and burglarize our home or steal our car. We had to cancel our checks and have the bank issue us a new bank account number.

Robert appears to screen his calls, too.  He continues to advertise on Craigslist and we've discovered through repetitive calling that he will not answer blocked/restricted calls.  Our calls are sent to his voicemail, however he will answer calls from phone numbers he does not recognize (presumably new customers).  My wife, sons, friends, and other relatives were able get him to answer their calls, but when he is told that they are calling for us, Robert hangs up on them and never answers calls when their phone numbers are displayed on his phone's Caller ID.

Robert is not listed as a business with County of Stanislaus or the City of Modesto.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/11/2010 12:13 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Computer-Repair/Modesto-California-/Computer-Repair-Messed-up-our-computer-Cashed-check-in-10-min-Never-returned-to-fix-602075. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Computer Repair

You get what you pay for

AUTHOR: Bob Proctor - (United States of America)

Then I saw Robert's ad. The price was good, and he showed right up.

My son went in to do his homework, and couldn't get on the internet.
We also started getting pop-ups telling us that our windows wasn't genuine.

I ended up calling the more expensive guy out to fix the problem that turned out to be from Robert's pirated software that he uses to "Repair" computers.
Apparently his software installs what is called a "rootkit" into my computer.
I'll never call Robert again.

You get what you pay for

AUTHOR: Bob Proctor - (United States of America)

I've used a couple of different Craigslist computer repair persons in the past, One was very good, but a little more expensive. Then I saw Robert's ad. The price was good, and he showed right up. He worked on my computer for about 2 hours, and came in and told me it was done.  I paid him and he left, and I didn't think about it until my son got home from school.

My son went in to do his homework, and couldn't get on the internet. We also started getting pop-ups telling us that our windows wasn't genuine. I called Robert to have him come back and fix what he did, but he said wasn't his fault and said he'd charge us again to fix what he claimed my son did.

Apparently his software installs what is called a "rootkit" into my computer.
I'll never call Robert again.

#3 General Comment

Are you from this planet?

AUTHOR: Kelly - (United States of America)

Your complaining and telling us you hired a guy from craigslist to fix your computer who ripped you off, and we are supposed to be surprised about it? You almost deserve to be ripped off for your stupidity. For gods sake, go to a reputable licensed computer repair store to fix your computer. It's not expensive and you don't have to worry about them stealing your idiocy!