Complaint Review: Computer Satellite Broadband Service

• Updated: Mon, March 29, 2010

• Reported By: richthib — Goodrich Texas United States of America
Computer Satellite Broadband Service
P.O. Box 96874 Chicago, Illinois United States of America

Computer Satellite Broadband Service HughesNet Satellite Internet Service LIES, LIES, AND MORE LIES BACKED BY THE POOREST SUPPORT SERVICE I'VE EVER EXPERIENCED. Chicago, Illinois

Do not do buisnes with HughesNet for satellite service.  I responded to a Promo Code 917-143 March 02, 2010.  I called the number listed, 1-877-303-2807 for the special promo that had 09 hours, 27 minutes left.  I was told that the installation would be free and the Activation fee would be $19.00 instead of the usual $99.00.  I was not informed of any other fees and also told that my 2 year contract would not apply since I only had a 1 year lease on my property.  This turned out to be untrue. Evidently Hughes is needing new customers and business since they responded the next day with a install.  First thing, the installer said he could not mount the antennae on my house where my DirectTv dish is because he claimed they needed a 100% clear view.  There was one small branch that my DirectTv goes through with a 99% signal strength.  I was told that a pole would have to be installed in my front yard.  I WAS NOT told that it would cost me $125.00 until after the installation was done. I ran several internet speed tests and never got over 600k download and 64K upload.  I was suppose to get 1000K down and 128K up.  I lost service in rain and wind.
The very next day I noticed that my credit card was charged $181.68.  When I called to get a explanation I had to go through several "push this button, push that button" and ended up in the Philippines trying to communicate with someone whose english and dialect ash I could not clearly understand.  I called back only to get another Philippine person that was no better than the first.  I called 3 times to get these charges corrected and I may as well beat my head against a cement wall.  Instead, they tried to suck me into a so called free 6 week extension, but would not adjust the initial charges.  My initial plan was suppose to be $59.99 monthly which turned into $80.12 after all additional charges was added that was not mentioned in the initial agreement.  I could not see why I would want to agree to 6 weeks of additional sub par service and have to communicate with people I had difficulty understanding their poor english.  I decided to cancel my service within the first week and found out that it would be my responsibility to send back the equipment at my expense.  I also found I could not immediately send back the equipment because Hughes would not give me a address or a RMA until 30 days after installation.  I guess this is so they can get away with charging you with the first month, even though I disconnected equipment the first week.
I ended up getting DSL service through my local phone company for almost $20.00 less monthly with only one year contract and download speed only 100k less and upload speed 4 times faster than Hughes.  I also am not affected by rain or wind.
I urge any one that is looking for internet service to STAY AWAY from HughesNet.  They do not provide the service they advertise and are very reluctant to provide straight facts and the customer service SUCKS.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/29/2010 09:53 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Computer-Satellite-Broadband-Service/Chicago-Illinois-60693-6874/Computer-Satellite-Broadband-Service-HughesNet-Satellite-Internet-Service-LIES-LIES-AND-586787. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Computer Satellite Broadband Service