Complaint Review: Concord Toyota

• Submitted: Tue, July 16, 2002
  • Updated: Wed, July 17, 2002

• Reported By:Alamo CA
Concord Toyota
1090 Concord Avenue Concord, California U.S.A.

Concord Toyota Poor Workmanship deceptive company Concord California

*Consumer Suggestion: class action against Toyota

I am an owner of a 1996 Toyota 4-Runner with the famed V6 engine, a six year old vehicle. It was recalled three years ago for a head gasket replacemenet due to a "deficient gasket design". It was replaced, and now three years later it is blown again, this time with head and block damage. I always take my Toyota vehicles to the service departments for maintenance and repair, but not this time, and not anymore.

Let's face it, Toyota doesn't survive on auto sales, it's the inflated service costs that is the money maker for them. Anyway, after calling Conord Toyota, then being passed to Corporate/Customer Service, passed back to Concord, then back to Customer Service, they all did not want to claim responsibility and felt that too much time had passed between now and the last head gasket replacement.

And what's more, I had been visiting Walnut Creek Toyota lately for service due to the close proximity to my house. Get this, I was told by the customer service manager at Concord that they might be more inclined to help me out if I was a "regular customer" of their service deparment. Man, what the hell is that? Talk about poor customer service, Toyota is Toyota and that reflects POORLY on the company overall and it's position on customer service. OOOOhhhh, what a feeling.

I am writing to warn people about the so called legacy of Toyota vehicles "going the distance", you know - 200,000, 300,000 miles, this is not a guarantee. If your the owner of one of these V6 motors, beware. I have found out much over the past few days as I have called around to numerous mechanics and they have all told me the same story, which is enough evidence for me. The engine and body style was redesigned in '96. The previous years V6 are nothing but headaches, lot's of head gasket problems.

Now I am learning that the new engines are no different. The mechanic who is currently working on my 4-runner showed me the block/head damage. It needs to be machined. He sends it out to the same machine shop that Toyota does. I also learned that Toyota has so many enignes that need block and head repairs, that they had to rent out a seperate building in the Walnut Creek area just to house all the engine blocks that need machining from head gasket failures brought in from customers, and were talking newer engines, too.

The bottom line is, my recalled head gasket from three years ago caused some minor head/block warpage that Toyota failed to properly repair. The gasket held for a few years, but now I am paying the price for their negligence as I am out about $2500 dollars on repairs of a six year old vehicle. They are playing dumb about all this.

What a shame, they have lost a customer and I am spreading the word to all Toyota owners about these engines. There are many head gasket problems with these V6 engines, it is a poor block desgin and urge anyone who is considering buying or owning one these to reconsider.

The whole reason I got into Toyota's was for their famed reliability. I made the investment thinking that if I kept up with all the maintenance, as I religiously have, it would be a good buy. All I can say is, if you own one, I hope it is reliable for you. If does fail, and have no warranty or it has run out, you will pay.

Now I am stuck with a high priced vehicle that is fairly new, is emaculate in apprearance, and requires basically a new engine.

Andy
Alamo, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/16/2002 11:57 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Concord-Toyota/Concord-California-94520/Concord-Toyota-Poor-Workmanship-deceptive-company-Concord-California-24719. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Concord Toyota

#1 Consumer Suggestion

class action against Toyota

AUTHOR: patrick - ()

This is a consumer complaint that should form the basis of a class action against Toyota. They made an engineering/design decision that saved them money while costing the consumer.

Toyota can "play dumb" all they want, but if mechanics recognize this gasket condition as a common occurance in the v-6 engine, then chances are it's due to a manufacturing defect as opposed to some consumer misuse. A "wharehouse full of head blocks that require machining due to head gasket failures" would tend to prove this point.