Complaint Review: Concordville Nissan and Sugaru

• Updated: Mon, February 21, 2011

• Reported By: Meronda — Mt. Laurel New Jersey United States of America
Concordville Nissan and Sugaru
Rt. 202 South Concordville, PA 19331 Internet United States of America

Concordville Nissan and Sugaru Transmission Died 4 months after purchase! Internet

*Consumer Comment: One more time

*Author of original report: Rebuttal to Dealers Comments...

*Consumer Comment: "ARCL POEM"........just type in 281113 at this site to read the poem and learn more about 'Adjustable Rate Car Loans'........

*Consumer Comment: Meronda, your complaint has no legal foundation

*Consumer Comment: It is not that complicated..

*Consumer Comment: Not The Dealers Fault

*Author of original report: P.S.

*Author of original report: Rebuttal to Dealers Comments...

*UPDATE Employee: Warrenty Rebuttal

*Consumer Comment: Warranties

*Author of original report: Oh... this is clearly a ripoff!!

*Author of original report: Rebuttal to Response..

*Consumer Comment: Warraty expired.

I purchased a 2005 Mitsubishi Endeavor August 20, 2010 from Concordville Nissan and Subaru. When I purchased this truck it had 62,000 miles on it. Approx 4 months later, a few weeks after the warranty expired, the transmission died. I immediately called the dealer and they said they were going to help me. After not hearing from them I called them back to see what was going on and they told me I could trade it in for an additional $3,500. They would put me in another used car, but it was nothing else they could do. When I told them I couldn't do that, the sales guy replied saying well it is tax season, bring me your income tax and I'll put you in another car. I was offended and I felt like I was being taken for granted. The did not care that I was stranded with no car. I took the truck to 3 different Transmission mechanics including Mitsubishi and they all said the transmission was slipping for a while before it got to this stage. I was given two quotes of $2,800 - $3,000 to repair and it would cost me $7,000 if I let Mitsubishi rebuild it. I wrote Concordville a letter and sent it certified asking them to please help me even if it meant splitting the cost of a new transmission and they never responded. I left several messages and nothing. I later learned that I was the third owner of this truckwhen I was told at purchase thatI was the second. The sales guy told me that the car was in almost perfect shape. I'm a single mom of three children and I desperately need my car to get back and forth to work. I trusted these guys and they sold me a truck that I can not drive. Now I'm stuck with a $10,000 balance on this truck. Not happy at all.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/28/2011 01:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Concordville-Nissan-and-Sugaru/internet/Concordville-Nissan-and-Sugaru-Transmission-Died-4-months-after-purchase-Internet-688066. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Concordville Nissan and Sugaru

One more time

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

You keep saying that your car died in a short amount of time.  While saying that you drove a lot of miles(over 12K according to the dealer), you can't seem to make the connection that in your case time has nothing to do with it.

You drove more miles in that 120 days than a majority of people drive in a YEAR, this is a very important concept and if you can't grasp this then nothing else anyone says is going to help explain this to you.  Because this is going to be a lot of "wear and tear" on any vehicle.  So unless you are going to claim that the Salesman and Mechanic knew you were going to drive that many miles, had you come back in 5-6 months as they suggested the transmission still would have been okay for MOST people.

Again, yes it sucks that your transmission went out, but nothing you have written here shows that they KNEW it was bad.

As a side note what other maintenance you did on your car during that time?  It is generally recomended that you get your oil changed ever 3 months OR 3,000 miles...does everyone do that NO.  But that would mean that you would have done around 3-4 oil changes.  Did you even have one?

Why is that important?  Because Extended Warranty Companies look for just about any loophole to deny a claim.  So if you can not provide proof that you were performing regular maintenance they would probably deny the claim on the Transmission.  So if you bought the Warranty and didn't have proof of maintenance, you would probably be writing a report on them instead of the dealer.

Oh and no I do not now or ever have worked for this or any dealer.  I am just one who drives quite a few miles evey year and knows that the number of "months" means nothing if you drive a lot.

Rebuttal to Dealers Comments...

AUTHOR: Meronda - (United States of America)

To everone who has responded... except the dealer.  I thank you and appreciate your opinion and facts.  However, I feel that the option I was given "another down payment of $2900 + $600 for tags and title, was not a good option for me.  No, I don't have to be happy they offered me anything, they clearly didn't give a dam.  All they wanted was more money.  Why would I give them another dime when in 4 months a major component of the truck died.  So give them more money for another used car??  Okay, now I'm an idiot.  This man assured me that this truck was in great condition... according to his "mechanical reports" everything was in good condition.  He TOLD me to come back in 5-6 monts to purchase the warranty if I did not have the $2500 to purchase it at the time.  He said "Meronda, you're fine, I promise you there's nothing wrong and I would come back when I have the money, just save and come back in 5-6 months"  I trusted these people.  So the jokes on me for believing in a sales person.  I have twin boys that entered into college the same week, both in different directions and 7 + hours one way, of course there are going to a be racked up number in mileages.  The bottom line is this... when anyone hear this story, they will not want to go anywhere near this dealer.  They can defend any and every position available to them, who wants to buy a car/truck from a dealer whom has sold a vehicle to a customer and the transmission died within 120 days.   Even if the purchaser buy a 3rd party warranty, in four months of owing a almost new truck, who want to deal with a dead transmission?  I don't and neither do any of you who responded.  How do I know your not employees of this company?  I will be honest in saying the few people that I personally told this story to all said, I should have never purchased the car without a 3rd party warranty and my own mechanic by my side, however in the same sentence they all asked me who and where was this dealership because they wanted to make sure they didn't go anywhere near them when they decided to buy a car.  And that's the bottom line.    You all take care, I'm done with this!

AUTHOR: Karl - (USA)

and how they might put our economy back into high gear.

Meronda, your complaint has no legal foundation

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Meronda,

You should be grateful to the dealership for whatever they offered you, as legally they had no obligation to you whatsoever. You bought a 5 year old used car. That 5 year old used car had a 90 day, 3000 mile warranty which expired before you reported the problem. The dealership met its legal and ethical obligations.

You need to get a reality check here, as you are just making yourself look stupid. You can write all of the letters you want to everyone you can think of, but the bottom line here is that nobody can do anything for you as no law was broken. No contract was breached. If you want a long term warranty, either buy a NEW car, or buy the extended warranty the dealership offered you.

To Flynrider-Phoenix, I have had good luck with the aftermarket warranties offered by the dealership on 3 different occasions in the past. Money well spent. For example, I bought a 1999 Chevy 3500 in 2001.
I bought the comprehensive warranty that had a $100 deductible which cost me about $1800 on the sale of the vehicle.
That's $600 a year for peace of mind.

After only 3 months, I was on the road between Vegas and OKC and my fuel pump went out.This truck had that long 39 gallon gas tank and took a special pump. Very expensive.

Here is what the extended warranty company paid:
Over $500 just for the pump.
4 hours labor.
Towing.
Rental car.

Total cost of everything was over $1100.

Then, the following year, on the same vehicle, a lifter collapsed. This was the 7.4 liter [454] Vortec engine. Parts, labor, and rental car. Over $900. My extended warranty paid for itself and then some. And, it is totally transferrable, so it makes the vehicle easier to sell, and increases the value. I sold the truck after 2 years for almost exactly what I had in it.

A good investment in my book.

It is not that complicated..

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Approx 4 months later, a few weeks after the warranty expired, the transmission died. -  The warranty expired..they are not obligated to do anything for you.

You can go on and on in as many directions you want, but that is what it comes down to and you really don't have a leg to stand on.  No dealer, or really any company is going to cover something beyond the warranty period.  That is why they have the warranty.

But as for the warranty itself, there are always two parts..time and mileage.  Not only were you beyond on the time, but way over on the miles.  By at least 9,000 miles according to the dealer response, which you did not seem to dispute.

A lot can happen in 9,000 miles.  What is "a while" according to the mechanic who said it was slipping?  It could have easily started slipping after 3,000.  With "normal" driving would have been 6-9 months not the couple it was with you.

As was suggested it is always a good idea to have your mechanic look over the car before you buy it.  But just based on the number of miles in the short period of time they may not have even noticed anything wrong, because at the time there may not have been anything wrong.

As for them not offering you a warranty on payment terms.  That seems odd as that is a money maker for the finance person and they can normally be financed.  However as was also mentioned, you may actually be better off that they didn't sell you the warranty.  Because the chances of what ever company it was using some loophole to not have to pay was a very big possibility.

Does this suck..of course, is it unfortunate..yep.  But is the dealer at fault or is this a RipOff..nope.

Not The Dealers Fault

AUTHOR: Dave - (USA)

It's not easy to hear but if I were the dealer I wouldn't offer to fix your vehicle or offer to split the cost. You purchased the vehicle with whatever warranty they originally included at the time of the sale. Then after driving it for 4 months the transmission failed and you somehow want to blame the dealer for the mechanical failure.

The comment stating that "the transmission had been slipping  for a while before it got to that stage" is a bit misleading.  This is due to the fact that once a transmission starts to slip it can actually be ruined within the same day of when the slipping actually occurs.

P.S.

AUTHOR: Meronda - (United States of America)

If you're on this site responding to my post, then that tells me you received my "CERTIFIIED LETTER" asking you to address this issue.  In my letter I cc: a number of people and establishments including this one that I was going to report you to, apparently you got it because you are here responding to my complaint.  So sir, you are lying again!!  Why didn't you respond to my certified letter asking for help?  Why did you leave me on hold for 30 minutes when I called you 10 days after I sent the "certified letter"?  For your Information; this is not the only site I've posted on and trust me if you don't help me, I will continue to let everyone, everysite know what your company did and didn't do.  You don't have enough time in your day to follow me on line to defend your position.  Eventually, you will see the difference in the traffic in your establishment.  I  promise you!  I was not the one you wanted to take advantage of.

Rebuttal to Dealers Comments...

AUTHOR: Meronda - (United States of America)

Are you serious?? You are LYING YOUR A** OFF!  You NEVER offered me a 18 month financing
opportunity to purchase a 3rd party warranty.  This must be Ryan Eckberg the Special Finance
Manager at Concordville Nissan.  I asked you in plain ENGLISH if I could finance a 3rd party warranty after you told me I needed $3,000 more to purchase one.  You told me that you didn't have a program that allowed the premiums to be added into the monthly note.  Not only did you not offer me a 3rd party warranty, when my transmission died, you said "don't worry if you don't have the money right now, come back in about 5-6 months and purchase it, the car is fairly new, you should be fine"

When I called you and told you about the transmission, you NEVER asked me to bring the truck in so that your mechanics could look at it.  You knew I was a single mom of three kids, you knew I knew nothing about cars/trucks and you took advantage of that.  I told you that my youngest son earned a basketball scholarship and was leaving for college that same weekend I brought that truck and that it was a 7 hour drive one way,  so yeah, when the transmission died, of course its gonna have an additional number of miles on it.  I have twin boys both going to school that is a long driving distance.  Did you forget you told me to "bring you my income tax return to you in the amount of $2900 plus an additional $600.00 for tags and title for a new car?  That was the only option you gave me Ryan!! You know I'm not lying.  You did nothing to help me even when I was on the phone crying to you that I was stranded at work, you said "Sorry, Its nothing I can do more if you don't have the down payment for a new car"

So you say you want to help, give me my $2800 dollars back I gave to AAMCO to rebuilt my transmission!  I'll take half, if you're willing to give me that.  Just because you haven't heard from my in a while, does not mean this is over.  I will post and tell anyone who will listen to NOT buy anything from your establishment because you do not care about anything but the money your going to make.  Just like you told me to lie to the insurance company about the down payment I gave you, so that you can make sure you get your cut.   I will be the customer you wish you never met!  Give me the $2800 back I spent with my income tax money to get my car fixed.  I don't care how many miles I put on that truck, in 4 months, there still should not be a problem with any car brought from a dealer like yours.  I purchased the truck August 20th 2010 and it died December 30th 2010.  I believe that's 4 months.  I can prove it!  You want this to get bigger?? Keep lying!!

Warrenty Rebuttal

AUTHOR: Concordville Nissan - (United States of America)

I am an employee of Concordville Nissan, the company at the topic of the complaint. I personally handled the initial transaction as well as the compliant about the transmission. There is a few items that concern me in this report, and need to be addressed.
     First the consumer was given a complimentary auto history report, that was reviewed and signed off by the consumer. This detailed report shows exactly how many previous owners, accidents, odometer discrepancies etc. etc. We believe that every customer that buys a pre-owned vehicle should know what they are purchasing.
    Secondly, the additional service contract was offered with the opportunity to finance it for 18 months with no interest. The service contract would have more then likely covered the said item. That being said Concordville Nissan Subaru was never given the opportunity to diagnosis the vehicle. How ever based on the information that was provided to myself it would have been a covered repair.
     Thirdly the warranty that came with the vehicle was well expired. It was not just 4 months later but over 12,000 miles which the problem arose. The warranty that was given and signed off on CLEARLY states 90 days or 3,000 miles whichever occurs first. Furthermore there was no mention ever of any problem until the complete transmission failure.
     Lastly, and I believe most importantly , is that no one got back to her. I myself personally spent over three hours on the phone with her. Looking at multiple ways to resolve her transportation issue, unfortunately none of those were acceptable. I even called local junk yards to see if there was other alternatives for a transmission. Every voice mail, every phone call was promptly answered and returned.
     It is an unfortunate event that occurred .However myself and Concordville Nissan were willing to make numerous concessions regarding the issue, and still are. Making the transaction like it never occurred is not one of them.

Warranties

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

Third party warranties are rarely worth the paper they're printed on. Please review that "Auto Warranties" section of this website. If you didn't purchase the 3rd party warranty, consider yourself lucky to not be $2,500 deeper in the hole than you are already.

As I said, there is no substitute for having a prospective purchase thoroughly checked out by a mechanic. They will find the obvious (read expensive) problems and they cost a lot less than a bogus 3rd party warranty.

Often people think that because a dealer is large, they will somehow bend over backwards to fix a car that is past the warranty. It's just not the case.The same rules apply whether the dealer is big or small. Of course the big dealer would like you to think that you're safer going with them, but you're not. A contract is a contract. Dealers would go out of business if they started fixing cars for free that were out of warranty.

Bottom line, the warranty expired and this dealer is no longer responsible for repairing this car.

Oh... this is clearly a ripoff!!

AUTHOR: Meronda - (United States of America)

At the time of purchase, the dealer said to me "The 3rd party warranty will cost an additional $2500 and that need to be paid in a lump sum, I had already given him $2,000 down and when I asked if it could be included in my monthly payments, he said no but that If he was me, he would come back in about 6 MONTHS to purchase it because the car is fine and there are no issues with the car. He said I did not have to purchase it right now. I took his advice and decided to wait because I did not have the additional $2500 at the time of purchase. Keep in mind I brought this truck from a Nissan and Subaru DEALER.. yes the car was sold to me from their "used car department" however these people are not a "mom & pop" car lot. So three weeks after the warranty expires, the transmission dies?? NO way! I trusted these guys and I took their advice regarding purchasing the 3rd party warranty. I still have a $10,000 car note remaining... and you don't think this is a RIPOFF!

Rebuttal to Response..

AUTHOR: Meronda - (United States of America)

At the time of purchase, the dealer said to me "The 3rd party warranty will cost an additional $2500 and that need to be paid in a lump sum, I had already given him $2,000 down and when I asked if it could be included in my monthly payments, he said no but that If he was me, he would come back in about 6 MONTHS to purchase it because the car is fine and there are no issues with the car. He said I did not have to purchase it right now. I took his advice and decided to wait because I did not have the additional $2500 at the time of purchase. Keep in mind I brought this truck from a Nissan and Subaru DEALER.. yes the car was sold to me from their "used car department" however these people are not a "mom & pop" car lot. So three weeks after the warranty expires, the transmission dies?? NO way! I trusted these guys and I took their advice regarding purchasing the 3rd party warranty. RIPOFF!

Warraty expired.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

You yourself admit that the warranty provided by the dealer had expired. You really should not expect them to do anything for you. Most used car dealers will not give you a warranty at all.

Since they are under no obligation to do anything for you, it's hard to call this a ripoff.

In the future, I strongly suggest that you take any prospective used car purchase to a mechanic for an inspection before you buy. Most used cars are sold "as is" with no warranty at all, so any problems that occur after you drive off the lot belong to you. In this case, there was a warranty, but it expired. Same deal.