Complaint Review: Connect America

• Updated: Thu, May 29, 2014

• Reported By: Jeanette — Fayetteville North Carolina
Connect America
2193 Chester Pike Broomall, Pennsylvania United States of America

Connect America Medical Alert Scam, Fraud, Lousy Customer service, impropper use of credit card Broomall, Pennsylvania

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Continued to be billed after unit returned

*UPDATE Employee: Mary - United States of America

*UPDATE Employee: Refuses to wear

*UPDATE Employee: Accounts Receivable Manager

I had to change my credit card number because of their horrible business practices.  My husband said he would refuse to wear the medical alert unit.  I called back the very NEXT day and asked that the unit not be shipped out and to destroy my credit card information.  This company shipped it out anyway.  I called and said that I did not want the unit and thought I had made that point clear.  The first unit I paid to ship back according to their guidelines.    UPS emailed me when the unit was delivered so I know this company got it.  They had the nerve to send me another unit and charge my credit card twice.  USAA is an excellent credit card company.  They have already given me a refund.  I don't want this to happen to others. I was put on hold for thirty minutes.  How many people have died during a medical emergency while on hold for thirty minutes or more!!!!  Their employees are not trained.  This is a major marketing ploy for junk equipment and poor customer service.  This is hands down my worst customer service experience ever.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/18/2013 03:24 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Connect-America/Broomall-Pennsylvania-19008/Connect-America-Medical-Alert-Scam-Fraud-Lousy-Customer-service-impropper-use-of-credit-1044394. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Connect America

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Continued to be billed after unit returned

Hello,

I  have seen your complaint and would like to help you.  My name is Barbara and I am the Customer Resolution Manager here at Medical Alert - A Connect America Company.  I have no idea why you received two Medical Alarms and why, after cancelling, you were still billed.  I can only apologize for the error, and try to assist you to get this straightened out.

If you would be kind enough to email me, I will gladly look into this for you and get it straightened out.  My email address is barb@connectamerica.com.

In response to being on hold for 1/2 hour, I apologize.  At times the call volume is quite high.  However, the number you dialed does not have anything to do with the number where the Medical Alarms are answered.  The Medical Alarm, when used, goes into a Central Station, and I assure you, there is no such thing as a Hold Button in the Central Station for incoming alarms.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience and I will get this problem taken care of for you.

Sincerely,

Barbara, Customer Resolution Manager

Medical Alert, A Connect America Company

Mary - United States of America

Dear Mary,

In response to your complaint, please accept our apologies for the situation regarding the billing of your credit card.  If you will contact me, I will make sure that everything has been removed from the system regarding your credit card.  I know it is frustrating for you and I am sorry.

With the USPS information, the package should have been able to be tracked.  Since I don't know who you are, I am unable to check to make sure the account is closed.  When we give return instructions, we always ask the customer to return the unit via a carrier that will provide a tracking number.  That way, not only can we track it, but the customer can also track the package.

Did you get a refund for the future year's charge?  Was the charge made prior to the account being canceled? Did you dispute the charge?  These are some of the issues I would like to discuss with you.

Please email me at barb@connectamerica.com with your name and telephone number and I will gladly call you so that we can go over what happened.  At least it would give me the opportunity to apologize in person to you.

Sincerely,

Customer Resolution Manager

Connect America.com, LLC/Medical Alert

Refuses to wear

AUTHOR: Connect America.com, LLC - ()

In response to the complaint regarding husband's refusal to wear button, cancellation and time on hold, I will gladly work with you on this, but I will need your name and address in order to find the account in our system.  I am sorry you waited on hold for 30 minutes, the calls are taken in the order they are received.  I just wanted you to  know the place you call for billing, service, refunds, etc., is not the place that the Medical Alarm reports to.  It reports to a central station, whose sole responsibility is to take care of the dispatching for any customer that pushes their button.

I am sorry you called and canceled and got the Medical Alarm anyway.  We certainly would prefer to cancel an order before it ships so that we don't upset the customer or waste time programming a unit for someone that really doesn't want it.

Please contact my office, if you have not gotten your refund by now.  If you have any questions, or if I can be of additional assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Customer Resolution Manager

Connect America.com, LLC/Medical Alert

Accounts Receivable Manager

AUTHOR: Connect America.com, LLC - ()

In reference to the complaint below, it is impossible to investigate the facts of this complaint without a customer name and address.  I will gladly assist this customer if they provide their name and address.

This entire complaint is disturbing and I would really like the opportunity to make things right.
Please email me at barb@connectamerica.com.  I will gladly investigate and do my best to turn around this customer's bad experience.

I would also like this opportunity to explain that the Medical Alarm button when pushed, goes directly to a Central Monitoring Station and not our offices.  I agree a 30 minute hold is horrible, but that is an office problem and not a Central Station problem.  Rest assured that the response for the Medical Alarm is extremely fast.