• Report: #920588

• Updated: Tue, July 31, 2012

• Reported By: Sui — District of Columbia United States of America
Consumer Cellular
7204 SW Durham Rd Ste 300 Portland, Oregon United States of America

Consumer Cellular Conveyed misleading and/or false information regarding service offering and capabilities Portland, Oregon

Consumer Cellular gave me their subscriber, misleading and/or false information regarding their service offering and their functionality.

To begin, at first, I found the customer service reps to be very helpful and seasoned when it came to porting and activation of service (initial stages of courting a customer).   But, after my number was ported from another national carrier to Consumer Cellular, I came to find out that services such as SMS and MMS did not initially work.   First it was the quality of cell service.  For the first week or so, the Quality of Service (QoS) of voice calls was better than satisfactory.   Then I began to experience wild fluctuations is signal strength and voice QoS.   Second, it was the case of making SMS work.   I could neither activate the EDGE nor 3G services on my iPhone 3GS.   The answer that I continually received from parties in Customer Service was that they cannot guarantee all of Consumer Cellular services to function on a telephone that I did not buy from them.

Be advised that Consumer Cell markets SIMs for "your" unlocked phone.

Through my repeated calls to the Consumer Cellular call center, I began to learn quickly that their Customer Service quality was going to be an incredible crap-shoot.   While they have a few RESPECTFUL, polite, mature and reasonable parties working the phones, there are those who can barely conjugate verbs, yet, called themselves experts and professionals to boot.    If you are a technical professional of any-kind, your intelligence is likely to be insulted by those scripted answers from the droning front line personnel, and their so called "supervisors," who have been the least helpful of all so far.

Consumer Cellular as a Carrier did not solve my SMS problem.  I solved the problem on my own, with any Consumer Cellular agent's help.

Thirdly, my MMS service also did not work on my own iPhone 3GS.   Upon realizing this, I called the customer service center at Consumer Cellular.  Once again, in my quest for answers to this puzzling problem related to MMS, I was to endure a number of absolutely technically clueless people, who were happy to boast their technical and professional competence in every sentence, yet, remained UNHELPFUL against the presented problem, and continued to give EXCUSES at each opportunity to correct the situation.

Fact remains that the only visible caveat that Consumer Cellular seems to make clear regarding phones that customers bring to their network is that they needed to have been once subscribed to the AT&T network, a criteria that I satisfied.

Fact remains that Consumer Cellular SELLS data services. They tell you that they cannot support a phone that you did not buy from them.  Moreover, they also tell you that they cannot guarantee the ability for those services that "they sell" to you, to work on your telephone; which by the way, happens to be the most popular and common smartphone on the market.

They told me on several occasions that even on the iPhone 3GS that they sell, through their authorized sales agents/stores, that MMS will not function on Consumer Cellular's network.

Think about it, would you want to be serviced by a Carrier, who cannot seem to make function technically, a service that READILY works with other carriers, but, not on Consumer Cellular, particularly when the equipment you have is - not some strange inter-planetary Tri-corder, but, again, the most recognized brand of smartphone on the market?

When it came to my MMS problems, above and beyond that which is mentioned here, they also FALSELY tell you that you have to use email to send pictures and that you cannot use MMS service on their network.

I say HORSE-PUCKY!!   I am here to directly tell you that MMS, SMS, it all DOES work, and will do so on Consumer Cellular's infrastructure, if you know what to do!

But, Consumer Cellular will NOT help you, or even provide you with a hint.   All I can say is that 'the service' may be economical. But, you have to know what to do (or know someone who does), if you bring your telephone to their network.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/31/2012 08:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Consumer-Cellular/Portland-Oregon-97224/Consumer-Cellular-Conveyed-misleading-andor-false-information-regarding-service-offering-920588. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Consumer Cellular