Complaint Review: Consumer Cellular

• Reported By: Adolph — Homosassa 34448 Florida USA
Consumer Cellular
16260 SW Upper Boones FY Road Tigard, Oregon United States of America

Consumer Cellular Beware of Consumer Cellular Tigard, Oregon

*Author of original report: Done deal

*Author of original report: Finally....closure!

*Author of original report: The BBB at its best!

I initiated cellular service with Consumer Cellular. On 7-9-2010 I received two Motorola EM330 cell phones. On 7-12 one phone locked up. Upon advice, I removed the battery to reboot the phone. When doing so, the battery door latch became disengaged from the phone body. I then advised Consumer Cellular of this event. I was IMMEDIATELY told :now youll have to buy a new phone. Thats a direct quote.  Phone less than four days old? The Buy a new phone statement made at least 8 times as I worked my way up the staff levels of customer support. I was ultimately able to reinstall the battery cover latch button, and decided I had made a grave mistake of choosing Consumer Cellular, and elected to return everything per the terms of their 45 day return policy. [continued below]....

.....

Unbelievably, I was then told in no uncertain, terse terms: We wont accept the one phone back. We dont accept broken phones for return. You can keep that phone, its yours now.

The phone WAS NOT BROKEN ! I had never described the phone as broken, only that the battery cover latch had become disengaged. I had already managed to successfully reinstall the latch release button.

Their oratory  during the sales pitch was filled with accolades of self-praise as to what a great service they provided, how they were the no argument cellular provider. Were different.

Different they ARE! I have never witnessed such a Jekyll / Hyde transformation of any entity in my life. The mood went from kissy-kissy (for lack of better term) to outright acerbic, rude, and irresponsible dialogue in the transition from sale to service issue.

Actually the Motorola EM330 was a poor choice, being cheaply made and overly fragile. Doubly so when dealing with a cell provider with the post sale policies of Consumer Cellular.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/13/2010 05:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Consumer-Cellular/Tigard-Oregon-97224/Consumer-Cellular-Beware-of-Consumer-Cellular-Tigard-Oregon-622835. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Consumer Cellular

Done deal

AUTHOR: Adolph - (USA)

I successfully obtained my money back on both phones. I initiated the credit by means of a charge-back request to my card issuer. Consumer Cellular ultimately saw fit to credit (reverse) the charges.

The "broken" (their words, not mine) phone was accepted for return and credit.  Glad to have these people out of my life.

In 14 years with Verizon I never had any issues that weren't easily resolved. The change I made was partially to go from Qualcom-CDMA to GSM format for improved speech quality. I'm now with AT&T (GSM), hoping for the best.

Finally....closure!

AUTHOR: Adolph - (USA)

After disputing  the charges with my card provider and sending copies of with an explanation of WHY I was inarguably owed a complete reversal of all charges, today all charges were reversed on my card.

This was announced in an overly verbose (mailed) communiqu from Consumer Cellular with a seeming tone that they were doing me a favor.

The broken (their words, not mine) phone wasnt an issue after all their saber rattling about the phone now being mine. (again, their previous words).. Consumer Cellular.I wont go there again!

The BBB at its best!

AUTHOR: Adolph - (USA)

I just happened to notice the Better Business Bureau has Consumer Cellular rated A+, their highest rating.  A good example of what is probably a "purchased" high rating...errrr....I mean membership in the BBB.  The BBB lets members in good standing virtually write their OWN report and history. That's even a sales tool in selling membership in the BBB to non members. (Particularly those with a poor business satisfaction record) BBB: 'Ya gotta love 'em. NOT!

guards