Complaint Review: Consumer Cellular

• Reported By: dagaero — Morris Plains New Jersey United States of America
Consumer Cellular
Tigard, Oregon United States of America

Consumer Cellular False advertising, sleazy communications Tigard, Oregon

Company offers 45 day money back risk free guarantee, I signed up for the service on July 7, 2010, 250 any time minutes for $20.00 / month and a 100 message text messaging package. Bought a $40.00 Samsung telephone and paid $35.00 for the activation fee.
Immediately upon receiving the phone and activating it, began to receive up to 10 per day unwanted/not ordered text messages from Yahoo (sports, weather, news, etc.), all of which were charged to my text message plan. Calling their customer service to complain and stop these messages proved to be a fruitless and frustrating experience.
From being told it was impossible to cancel the messages, to being told it was done, to being told I could do it myself on the phone (impossible), it was all lies, the messages never stopped coming and after exceeding my plan #, began to be charged $0.10 per messages which I did not order.
I called on the 19th day after my sign up date to cancel and was told I would still be billed for the first month usage and would only get a refund for the telephone after they get it back. When I asked about the 45 day risk free money back guarantee, I was told that i Had exceeded the 30-30 clause of the contract, meaning that if I canceled 30 days past the sign up day or used more than 30 minutes worth of calls, the 45 day guarantee was null and void. None of these 2 conditions were mentioned at the onset.
I have canceled the service and I am now waiting to see what new reasons they come up with about refunding my money for the phone.
Lesson learned-you don't get something for nothing, in this case-no 2 year contract and low fees, you get instead ripped off.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/26/2010 11:39 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Consumer-Cellular/Tigard-Oregon-97224/Consumer-Cellular-False-advertising-sleazy-communications-Tigard-Oregon-626621. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Consumer Cellular