• Report: #292040

Complaint Review: Consumer Insurance, Keith Smith Co. - Regions Bank, Rita Promise, Micheal Johnson

• Submitted: Sun, December 16, 2007
  • Updated: Wed, February 06, 2013

• Reported By:Tipp City Ohio
P.O. Box 3800 Hot Springs, Arkansas U.S.A.

Consumer Insurance, Keith Smith Co. Regions Bank, Rita Promise, Micheal Johnson I received a letter accompanied with a check that I had won a lottery sweepstake draw. Hot Springs Arkansas

*Consumer Comment: Response to Lottery Winnings

I received a letter & check stating that I had won a lottery sweepstake draw. The letter is from Companion Ins. P.O. box 213, Tulsa, Ok 74110. The letter stated I had a lump sum pymnt. $250,000.00 which would be pd. to me in certified check by special courier.I was advised to contact Michael Johnson-866-414-7033 M-Fri. 8-6 , Sat. 8-2. for further instructions. I took the check to our bank and I was told it was a real check.[$4850.00] and it was to pay non resident gov. tax service by moneygram or western union, at a Walmart{tax amount would be $2950.00}. I called the # stated and reached a foreign man I could hardly understand. He told me I needed to deposit check into my account and call back with my info and I HAD TO pay taxes by debit card, to canada. I was told the deadline was up in the morning but he would extend it for me.

I was to tell no one I had won this sweepstake, exspecially Walmart where I was getting the moneygram for instead of paying a fee of $105.00 it would be $600.00 due to my large winnings. He was very adimant that I tell no one. The check is from Keith Smith Co. Inc., P.O. Box 3800, Hot Springs, Arkansas. It was written off Regions Bank, Hot Springs, Arkansas. It was signed by Rita Promise, foreigns operations Manager. Claim # on letter PFC/89235-214ZA. Letter was dated 11/21/2007. Check # routing-231684 "082000109 81 4014 7419. I took this check to my bank and I was told it was I real check and could be deposited but would be held for up to 10 days before releasing the funds. A police officer in the bank at the time told me of at least 50 other letters like this that was a SCAM. Destroy it IMMEDIATLY.

Dtaylor45
Tipp City, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/16/2007 04:38 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Consumer-Insurance-Keith-Smith-Co-Regions-Bank-Rita-Promise-Micheal-Johnson/Hot-Springs-Arkansas-71914/Consumer-Insurance-Keith-Smith-Co-Regions-Bank-Rita-Promise-Micheal-Johnson-I-received-292040. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Consumer Insurance, Keith Smith Co. - Regions Bank, Rita Promise, Micheal Johnson

Response to Lottery Winnings

AUTHOR: David bolick - (U.S.A.)

I have a hard time believing that anyone would think they have won a lottery and get a check and get involved with making phone calls to someone out of the country and willing to put up money to get money much less taking a check to the bank and a bank employee making a statement that the check is "good".

People need to use some God-Giving sense and know that nothing is free.  The scam is that you deposit a check regardless if it is a cashiers check or corporate check...you deposit it...it is a forgery and will most likely hang up in the system and your bank at some point will denote that it has "cleared" when it has not.  Once the company reconciles, their bank will be notified that the check is a forgery and it will in turn be "charged back" to your bank and they "you" will be charged back.

Get real.  Use common sense.  Don't try to get sometime for nothing or YOU will be the one taken to the cleaners!