Complaint Review: Consumer Legal Center

• Submitted: Fri, March 25, 2005
  • Updated: Fri, March 25, 2005

• Reported By:SLC Utah
Consumer Legal Center
320 Pine Ave Long Beach, California U.S.A.

Consumer Legal Center This company ruined my credit. Long Beach California

*Consumer Comment: Good for you They do drop a lure but you don't have to bite.

I was overwhelmed with credit card bills, but I was still making minimum payments and had good credit. One day I got an e-mail offer from Consumer Legal Centers and I submitted my interest via e-mail. They called me and gave me some information and signed me up for their service promising to help me get out of debt quickly and easily. Well, this was too good to be true and I soon had paid them over a thousand dollars and was getting calls from all my creditors, as Consumer Legal Center advised me to stop paying my bills.

AT & T and Citi Bank sued me immediately and won, and now I pay an attorney who bought the settlement rights $300 a month. I also have to pay $316 a month to my other creditors through Consumer Credit Counseling. This is by far the dumbest thing I've ever done and I am paying for it. Please research the company who promises to do something to help you get out of debt.

The best way to get out of debt is to not get into it in the first place. Don't let the credit card companies win like they did with me. They bombarded me in 2001 with offers and I was newly divorced and trying to start my own business. Before I knew it, I had racked up $30 k in credit debt. Now, four years later, my credit is poor, even though I am doing my best to pay everyone off and NOT file bankruptcy. I was never late on my bills before, and it went against everything in my nature to take the advice of Consumer Legal Centers. I ended my contract with them and am slowly paying everyone back and working two jobs to do it. I am very angry with myself, Consumer Legal Center and the credit card companies that promise you 0% interest.

Also, I believe legislation needs to be enacted to stop credit card companies from taking advantage of people with poor credit by charging higher rates and fees. They are making billions of dollars in a very unethical way. We, as consumers, need to be much smarter about credit and it's uses!!

Barbara
SLC, Utah

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/25/2005 03:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Consumer-Legal-Center/Long-Beach-California/Consumer-Legal-Center-This-company-ruined-my-credit-Long-Beach-California-136396. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Consumer Legal Center

Good for you They do drop a lure but you don't have to bite.

AUTHOR: Tom - (U.S.A.)

Good for you for trying to do the right thing and pay off your bills.

You accepted the terms of the credit card and you used it unwisely. Do not blame the credit card companies for this. They do drop a lure but you don't have to bite.