Complaint Review: "Consumer Portfolio Services" And "The Finance Co."

• Submitted: Wed, September 16, 2009
  • Updated: Thu, January 14, 2010

• Reported By: anonymous — Internet USA
"Consumer Portfolio Services" And "The Finance Co."
P.O. Box 98736 Phoenix, Arizona United States of America

"Consumer Portfolio Services" And "The Finance Co." CPS gave it back and they would not pick it up Phoenix, Arizona

*Consumer Comment: repo

We purchased a vehicle in 03 and due to the loss of a job and medical problems we gave the vehicle back. We sent the papers to them giving the vehicle up and we told that they would send someone to get it within a week. Well 5 months later and several certified letters later advising them to come and get their property they finally sent someone out, the vehicle had body damage and he refused to take it. 3 months later our house was sold and the new owners were taking over, we sent more certified letters requesting they pick it up and even sent one to the attorney they hired. The attorney had dropped them as a client and sent the letters to their legal department. When we moved the new owners allowed us a month to leave it there and finally asked us to remove it. We contacted a towing company and they took the vehicle and they contacted CPS. Now in the mean time CPS is calling all our "references" and telling them we owe money, they call us and we tell them that we have sent certified documentation to them requsting they pick it up. One family member told them they (CPS) knew where it was and stop calling him and just go get it. One agent spoke to my then 10 year old and told him we were going to prison for theft. I grabbed the phone and unleashed on them using and the girl told me I couldnt cuss at her, I told her as long as she called me I can say anything I want and she hung up.

This has been going on for YEARS now, they were advised that we had moved out of state and that the vehicle was left behind before we had it towed, yet they tried to file suit in the state we no longer lived in, this was kicked out by the judge. They continue to call my husband at work and had managed to get our home number using a data base that Fedex uses. We have changed the number and no contact only at work and via mail requesting the loan be paid or else. I spoke to attorneys in both states and both advised that since we had tried for so many months to make them take it and they didnt we had the right to remove it when the house was sold.  Even with body damage they were required to pick it up and then after auction we would be responsible for the rest of the loan. Says this happens all the time. My husbands legal dept is getting involved and sending them a letter to stop harrassing not only my husband, but his supervisors at his place of business or they will take action since it is recorded for the past 4 years.

I have found the only way to "deal" with them and their rudeness is to be just as aggressive and rude back and most times they hang up after you make a personal attack on them verbally. They cannot handle it and prey on the weak. I am still looking at what we can do since we cant afford an attorney to sue for harrassment. I have filed with my state attorney general in case others have too.

The one thing I regret is the purchase of the vehicle. I see now that the finance guy was grabbing the first one and after learning about all the back door payouts that finance companies have with dealers, I am sure the finance guy got his commission. Karma goes around as they are no longer in business!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/16/2009 12:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Consumer-Portfolio-Services-And-The-Finance-Co/Phoenix-Arizona-85038/Consumer-Portfolio-Services-And-The-Finance-Co-CPS-gave-it-back-and-they-would-not-pi-495834. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on "Consumer Portfolio Services" And "The Finance Co."

repo

AUTHOR: anon - (United States of America)

So did you ever hear from them again? Have you still been making payments on the car or just kept it for years? What's going on with your case, I have something similar happening to me now. How many years have you had the car w/o paying them?