Complaint Review: Consumer Portfolio Services

• Submitted: Fri, December 14, 2007
  • Updated: Sat, December 22, 2007

• Reported By:Richmond Virginia
Consumer Portfolio Services
http://www.consumerportfolio.com Chesepeake, Virginia U.S.A.
  • Phone: 757-4135320
  • Web:
  • Category: Loans

Consumer Portfolio Services Rude, Harassing Customer Service, 6 or more calls a day, harassing friends and family Chesepeake Virginia

*Consumer Suggestion: Who to contact

*Consumer Suggestion: What to do re CPS consumer portfolio

I financed a 2005 Sebring with Whitten Brothers Chrysler in Richmond, VA in March of 2006. The financing is through a Consumer Portfolio Services. I did not have great credit at the time due to just finalizing a divorce. I knew that a car loan would be a great way to start rebuilding my credit. I never missed a single payment until a couple months ago when I ran into a couple of financial setbacks. I have yet to be over 30 days and have made payments every month but they have been about 28 days late. Now these people call me 6 or more times a day, leave nasty voicemails, call my friends who I used as a reference, called my Boss one time and the list goes on and on. I have tried just ignoring most of their calls but they are like a plague. I talked to them yesterday and was belittled and talked to as if I were a common piece of crap person. I explained that I would be 100% caught up by the middle of January. I was then told why don't I just pay what I owe right now. I said because I do not have the money, one payment will be made tomorrow (Dec 14th) and two payments on January 15th to get caught up (my payments are scheduled for the 15th of each month). The guy on the phone then said that I had to fax him a copy of the online bill pay from my bank showing that the payment was scheduled to be delivered on the 14th, which I did out of courtesy even though I knew I did not have to. Figured that would be it for now, but to my surprise (sarcasm), when I got home from work today I had 2 more calls from them today. I thought they were a good company until now. They are horrible and I will try to make sure I keep anyone I ever meet from doing business with them.

Michael
Richmond, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/14/2007 09:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Consumer-Portfolio-Services/Chesepeake-Virginia/Consumer-Portfolio-Services-Rude-Harassing-Customer-Service-6-or-more-calls-a-day-haras-291741. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Consumer Portfolio Services

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Who to contact

AUTHOR: Linzartart - (U.S.A.)

Consumer Portfolio Services buys, sells, and services vehicle loans made to customers who cannot get traditional financing because of bad credit, limited credit, or low income. About 85% of the contracts Consumer Portfolio Services acquires are used to finance used cars.

Consumer Portfolio Services (CPS) buys, sells, and services auto loans made to consumers who probably don't have portfolios. In other words, the company lends to subprime borrowers who can't get traditional financing due to poor or limited credit. CPS purchases contracts from more than 8,600 dealers in 48 states, some 90% of which are franchised new car dealers. The remaining are independent used car dealers, and more than 85% of the contracts CPS acquires finance used vehicles. Investment firm Levine Leichtman Capital Partners owns more than a quarter of the company, which has operations in California, Florida, Illinois, and Virginia.

Officers:
Chairman, President, and CEO: Charles E. Bradley Jr.
SVP and CFO: Jeffrey P. (Jeff) Fritz

16355 Laguna Canyon Road, Irvine, CA 92618
(Address of Principal Executive Offices) (Zip Code)
Registrant's telephone number, including area code (949) 753-6800

**********

CPS
COMPLAINT DEPARTMENT
P.O. BOX 970
COLTON, CA 92324
PHONE: (909) 835-6064 FAX: (909) 825-6246

Company Profile
DBA: Consumer Portfolio Services, Inc.
Other

Company ID: 92005283
Business Start Date: 1/1/1989
BBB Created Record on: 2/2/1995

Nature of Business:

This company's business is providing financial assistance and auto loans.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

What to do re CPS consumer portfolio

AUTHOR: Linzartart - (U.S.A.)

You have to ocntact YOUR state atty general and the Federal Trade Commission - , the BBB wont help. cps doesnt reply to the BBB.

Read my complaint post from harrisburg pa - they committed deceptive business practices against me. violated the fair debt collection act.

This morning all 3 of my phones RANG at the same time - all from cps. I answered 1 - and this man refused to give me his name and he cussed me out claiming Ive been avoiding their calls. He knows that Ive been in contact w/them -

you google fair debt collection act. find the violations cps committed. copy/paste into a letter to your state atty general & the FTC.

Let me explain something - cps is a loan servicing company. loan servicers are NOT regulated by the state dept of banking. they/servicers 'buy' loans from POOLS - yes youre pooled according to your age, credit score, race, salary and where you live. ok, another words youve been PROFILED. they PREY on credit challenged people so they can take your car (charging huge fees, giving deferments but then you still are in arrears - beyond that deferral)

This is how the mtg industry failed.

File the reports NOW.