Complaint Review: Consumer Rewards Program - Shoppers Lotto...easy As 123 Or MBT Financial Services: Reward Program

• Submitted: Sat, May 10, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, June 26, 2008

• Reported By:oxnard California
P.O. Box 9004, Oxnard, California U.S.A.

Consumer Rewards Program - Shoppers Lotto easy As 123 MBT Financial Services 38,000 dollar winner Oxnard California

*Author of original report: update

*Author of original report: Samrt idea

*Consumer Comment: Of course

On my birthday I received a $3800.00 dollar check in the mail. As many reporting before me held onto the check due to an uneasy feeling that came over me. I than began to research all parts of the letter & check. Mind you this was a Saturday morning and nothing I put in signaled a red flag aside there being a busy signal on the phone number (1-905-598-6206) I called. I googled the bank the check was written (Johnson bank in Racin, WI). Checked out the sweepstakes mentioned (which I do enter often) and nothing.

On Tuesday morning I called the # again and a female answered the call. I asked to speak with Kara Ford or an Eugene Kennedy who were my designated claims agents in this matter. The person on the other end claimed to be Kara and asked if had followed the instructions within the letter. I told her yes, she then placed me on hold and when she came back to the line stated the check has not processed according to their records. I then explained my bank placed a hold onto the check. She then said that is fine just call us back once the check clears and we will go from there. So on Wednesday I took it took the bank which is NOT attached to my main checking/savings accounts. It is a petty cash account with about $100.00 dollars in it. I gave it to the teller she then placed a hold on the check for 5 business days. So on Tuesday will be the 5th business day.

Yesterday a really good friend and I were talking and she said it sounds like a scam and I agreed, but explained I couldn't find any proof otherwise. I did say I hadn't checked against the BBB. So with the conversation still heavy on my mind I woke up this am and began the quest again and stumbled onto this site. Low and behold what I found! I will keep everyone updated with the situation as it unfolds. If the check clears I have already decided I will promptly close that account.

Thanks to everyone who has left a blog alerting the rest of us of this scam....the reporter

Reporter93030
Oxnard, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/10/2008 10:33 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Consumer-Rewards-Program-Shoppers-Lottoeasy-As-123-Or-MBT-Financial-Services-Reward-Program/Oxnard-California-93030/Consumer-Rewards-Program-Shoppers-Lotto-easy-As-123-MBT-Financial-Services-38000-dollar-331843. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Consumer Rewards Program - Shoppers Lotto...easy As 123 Or MBT Financial Services: Reward Program

update

AUTHOR: Reporter93030 - (U.S.A.)

The Monday after reporting this event I went to the bank to follow up on this situation. The check was already on its way back to the bank uncashed. So that Wednesday I received the check in the mail from the bank, with fees for a total of $10.00. I hope this helps anyone else who comes across this scam...

Samrt idea

AUTHOR: Reporter93030 - (U.S.A.)

I appreciate your comments. I WOULD never attempt to fraud the bank! Now that I have located this site I will inform the bank of the matter. I didn't read anything about the individuals you mentioned about though. I will contact the bank and explain the whole situation...I will keep you updated with the outcome! Reporter

Of course

AUTHOR: Atlanta Guy - (U.S.A.)

Yes, it's a scam. I suggest that on Monday you RUN to your bank and let them know you have discovered this scam, and will be willing to pay any returned check fees they levy on you. Several people are in prison right now for cashing those checks. NO ONE SENDS YOU UNSOLICITED CHECKS IN THE MAIL !!!!! You have to pick up lottery winnings in person !! Do you not know this ????????????? Don't be a fool. Research everything that even remotely seems suspicious. NEVER put any checks in your bank ( no matter WHAT account ) unless you know the origin. You could be charged with bank fraud. Don't think it could happen to you ??? Neither did 2 people in Atlanta last month. Both were charged with bank fraud and sentenced to prison.