Complaint Review: Contel Of The South

https://www.afnicollections.com Internet U.S.A.

Contel Of The South Who are these people?? Internet

*General Comment: Same here

*Consumer Comment: Uh, Check Google First

I have recently reviewed my credit report. On it is a company that I have never heard of, Contel of the South, who reported that I owe $120.00. However, I have never received any kind of statement or anything from this company.

I am try to clean up my credit so that I can buy a house, but I will not be able to do that until I get this resolved. I can't get it resolved because there is no website, address, phone number or any other kind of contact information on this company.

I saw a report on this site that had mentioned Afni and Contel with a phone number. I do have an account with afni, I called them and they said that they had no record of that balance. Please, Can anyone help me get this off my credit?

thanks

Casey m
salem, Indiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/11/2008 09:10 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Contel-Of-The-South/internet/Contel-Of-The-South-Who-are-these-people-Internet-325312. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Contel Of The South

#1 General Comment

Same here

AUTHOR: Paul - (United States of America)

I have never been a customer of Verizon in any way and I googled it as well. I got the same type of collection notice today for 145.36 that I was never billed for or aware of at all. I tried calling them and it just tells me they are busy and hangs up on me. Somethings wrong here.

Uh, Check Google First

AUTHOR: Bryce - (U.S.A.)

This is an excerpt from Wikipedia's article on "Contel of the South:"

Contel of the South, Inc. is a former ConTel operating company GTE acquired. It did business as GTE Systems of the South. GTE Systems of the South provided service in ConTel regions in Alabama and Georgia.

Contel of the South was acquired by GTE in 1993, and it was renamed "Contel of the South, Inc. dba GTE Systems of the South, Inc." GTE Systems of the South was not associated with GTE South, a separate operating company. GTE Systems of the South went through the following changes:

On October 31, 1993, GTE and Alltel traded states: GTE's Georgia area was traded for Alltel's Indiana and Michigan areas.
In 2000, GTE was purchased by Bell Atlantic, becoming Verizon. GTE Systems of the South, Inc. is renamed "Contel of the South, Inc. dba Verizon Mid-States"
In 2002, Verizon sold Verizon Mid-States' Alabama operations to CenturyTel.
Verizon Mid-States, Inc. still provides telephone service to former Alltel regions in Indiana and Michigan. Verizon North provides telephone service in former GTE regions in Michigan and Indiana.

Like most of us poor suckers in Indiana, you've probably had bad dealings with Verizon, and it is for some reason appearing as Contel on the report.

Fill us in if this clears anything up for you.