Complaint Review: Continental Airlines

• Submitted: Thu, August 09, 2007
  • Updated: Fri, November 20, 2009

• Reported By:Hopatcong New Jersey
Continental Airlines
1600 Smith Street Houston, Texas U.S.A.

Continental Airlines cares more about money then people ripoff Houston Texas

*Consumer Suggestion: Unreasonable on your part.

My sister had a trip planned to go to FL on Tuesday August 7th. Her flight was scheduled to leave at 3:10 PM. On Saturday August 4th our grandmother passed away suddenly. I called Continental for my sister on Monday the 6th to see if my sister could leave the next day so that she would be able to attend our grandmother's viewing and funeral.

They wanted to charge my sister $300 extra per ticket for her and her friend to leave just ONE day later. They explained something about how it's their policy and that since my sister purchased advance tickets that they couldn't move her in the same class.

I was on the phone with them for almost 3 hours total that day. All of the managers I spoke with were very rude. They claimed to be accommodating to us since they would be so generous and waive the $30 transfer fee... as long as we provided them with a copy of the death certificate. I have to remember to send them a thank you note for that one. They kept telling me there was no one there who could change the policy or even discuss it with me.

So my sisters options were to lose the money she'd already paid for the trip, pay $300 to change it, or miss her grandmother's funeral. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't work with us in this case. I filed a complaint with them and so did my mom on Monday and we have yet to hear back from them.

Heather
Hopatcong, New Jersey

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/09/2007 08:57 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Continental-Airlines/Houston-Texas-77002/Continental-Airlines-cares-more-about-money-then-people-ripoff-Houston-Texas-266358. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Continental Airlines

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Unreasonable on your part.

AUTHOR: argueable - (USA)

Unreasonable on your part for the fact that every airline ticket you purchase obviously has policies and procedures to it. Evidentally she purchased tickets with restrictions therefore prompting change fees. If every person called the irline saying their family member just passed away, imagine how much money the airline would lose. Now if you had proof of your grandmothers death, that being by email, postal mail, or fax, then yes that fee could be waived. It is so easy to get some time of indirect communicative proof now a day unless your family lives in the himalaya mountains. People like you simply want it the easy way out instead of following instructions. Next time you purchase tickets, pay attention closely and read for crying out loud.