Complaint Review: Continental Warranty

• Submitted: Thu, October 26, 2006
  • Updated: Fri, November 03, 2006

• Reported By:Bethlehem Pennsylvania
Continental Warranty
10850 Riverside Drive, 6th Floor North Hollywood, California U.S.A.

Continental Warranty Very Misleading, hard pushing salespeople, buy right now emphasis, would not give direct answers to questions asked, something just didn't seem right Ripoff North Hollywood California

*UPDATE Employee: I'm sure...

*Author of original report: Response to Rebuttal

*UPDATE Employee: OK...

Thank God for this website!!! I received a piece of mail that said "Important Manufacturer Warranty Information" and "Time Sensitive" all over the envelope. I thought it was weird that it wasn't mailed from Mazda, but I thought I should call anyway.

The person I spoke to was named ROSE. She was very nice at first, and a good salesperson. She started pushing their plan right away, telling me all these GREAT things I would get.... Bumper to Bumper coverage that was BETTER than my Mazda factory warranty! It sounded good... a little TOO GOOD!

When I started to ask her questions, she got defensive, and wouldn't give me answers- ESPECIALLY when I asked if this "warranty" was recognized by Mazda. She wouldn't answer me.

So I kept her talking while I did a Yahoo! search on their company, and wouldn't you know, I found this website! Meanwhile, Rose somehow magically had a credit card number for a Visa that I had cancelled a few months ago after my wallet got stolen (coincidence? I think not!!). She kept trying to get me to authorize a "deposit" of about $350, and when I said that I couldn't make a financial decision of that magnitude without reviewing it with my fiance first, she got even MORE aggressive, saying that she would call him at work, since this was a "one time only" offer.

By that time, I had read enough reports on this website to know that I wanted to stay as far away from these people as possible!! When I told Rose that at this time, I just wasn't intereste, she just kept pushing and getting more aggressive. I finally just hung up on her, because she wouldn't quit.

Thank you for having this website! My only regret is that some of the people who posted on this site didn't have access BEFORE they got ripped off!!

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/26/2006 12:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Continental-Warranty/North-Hollywood-California-91602/Continental-Warranty-Very-Misleading-hard-pushing-salespeople-buy-right-now-emphasis-wo-217807. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Continental Warranty

I'm sure...

AUTHOR: Benjamin - (U.S.A.)

Did Rose have the entire credit card number or just the first digit? Because EVERY Visa starts with a 4, every Mastercard starts with a 5, every AMEX card starts with a 3, and every Discover card starts with a 6011.

I'm sure she did a fantastic job at explaining to you though that the level of coverage that your car qualified for on that phone call was NEW CAR COVERAGE. So if you weren't driving a brand new car, she was actually offering you something above and beyond what your car qualifies for. I don't think she meant that you can't have a warranty. I thin she was just trying to keep your car eligible for the new car warranty since there was no future eligibility. Now if she was asking for a refundeable deposit of $350, she wasn't asking for a $2,000 purchasing decision. She was just trying to enroll the vehicle so that you could take advantage of the new car warranty on your used vehicle, the zero percent financing that we offered without running your credit, and the waiver of the vehicle inspection. And all of that did come with a 30 day unconditional money back guarantee. Taking 30 days to review the highest level of coverage with a contract in the comfort of your own home is all she was trying to do.

I think that the other employee that you quoted was talking about the insurance underwriter. An extended warranty is not the product of a warranty company but an insurance company. And ALL of our underwriters have been in business for over 100 years. Protective Life, Great American, and Bank of America. We're the ONLY warranty company that has THREE insurance companies of that magnitude.

Now I'm not sure why you're calling our company a scam. But Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover don't give merchant accounts to scammers.

Bank of American certainly would not give us their business if we were scammers.

And the insurance commissioner of your state certainly wouldn't allow us to sell you a warranty if we were scammers.

So I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that my company is a scam. But if you'd like to talk about it some more, I'd love to speak with you!

You can reach me at (888) 244-0925. I'm at extension 2645. Just be sure to ask for Benjamin. I'd be more than happy to help you better understand why the warranty industry works the way it does so that you can better understand why you were "pushed" to enroll the car for the new car warranty.

Response to Rebuttal

AUTHOR: Jessica - (U.S.A.)

First of all, the credit card number that Rose had (and I don't know how she got it, because I didn't give it to her!!!) was for a card that I cancelled months ago after it got stolen- If you had bothered to actually READ my complaint, you would have seen that! Secondly, my fiance works in construction and cannot be contacted while at work, so that's why calling him was such a "dilemma." And no, that wasn't the only thing that kept me from enrolling...

Any company that pushes that hard for a sale, and won't allow the customer an appropriate amount of time to think about making a large investment (and to me almost $2,000.00 IS a large investment) can't have honest motivation. A one time only, here and now, you can NEVER be offered this again sales pitch WILL turn smart consumers off!

Lastly, in your rebuttal to my complaint, you say that your company has been in business for 19 years, however, in another rebuttal to another complaint, a supposed "employee" of Continental Warranty says that your company has been in busines for over 100 years!!! So, which is it?????

This company is so OBVIOUSLY a scam, and if you are going to try and make it look legit, you better make sure that everyone tells the same story!!!!

AUTHOR: Benjamin - (U.S.A.)

Just to clear a few things up...

Every warranty that is offered by Continental Warranty is recognized by not only your dealership but by any mechanic. Every claim gets paid by a corporate credit card. So it's really not a matter of "Will they accept me." It's really more of "Will we accept them." As long as they're ASE certified, you're good to go. As long as they accept a VISA card, they'll accept the warranty. In fact, I'm pretty sure your dealership would prefer the payment upfront which is when we pay them!

If you told Rose that you had to speak with your fiance before putting down a refundeable deposit of $350 on your credit card, I'm not sure why asking to call him was such a dilema. After all, that was the only thing preventing you from enrolling, right?

This is an extended warranty. It's a time sensitive product that is based on statistics and the exact mileage of your vehicle. There is no such thing as an "open enrollment" so I'm sure she was just trying to help you maintain eligibility of the highest level of coverage for your vehicle.

We're just like every other major company out there. We've been in business for 19 years and we deal with the general public-- we can't please everyone. I'm sure that if you googled the manufacturer of your vehicle or a company like Wal-Mart, you'd find hundreds of complaints. But that's not going to stop you from shopping there, right?