Complaint Review: Convergys

Convergys
Logan 1525 N 600 East Logan, Utah 84341 Logan, Utah United States of America

Convergys Comcast project Lying sacks of crap! Logan, Utah

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Wait a minute

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Convergys Comcast project Lying sacks of crap!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: I agree!!!!!

Convergys is a joke! Training's not bad. You in training for 6 weeks or so, but it's fun. I do wish they had spent more time training you to use the systems just because there are many of them and they get complicated, but we didn't get our passwords until 2 weeks before we were on taking calls. In training, they stress you're not a salesperson and your primary goal is to help the customer. That makes sense. No problem there.

What I have a big problem with is once you enter the floor and start taking calls, the rules all change. Nothing you learned in training helps because these rules are not valid. You're told to warm transfer in training, you're told by your direct superior not to warm transfer even though 5 different work documents say you should. You're pushed into trying to make sales. I'm sorry, but I put myself in the shoes of the customer and if my service is shotty, I don't want to add another right now - especially if you're not able to fix it for me! I'm not going to sit there and pressure some poor old lady on social security into buying overpriced phone service when I just told her I'm going to charge her $50 for a tech to come out and take a lot at why her internet has gone down for the 5th time in a week. It would piss me off if I were her. Another thing they stress is keeping your handle time down. You get paid to take calls, it makes sense that you should get to as many as possible. However, when you're troubleshooting internet and a 90-yaer-old with a recent hip replacement has to do acrobatics just to unplug a modem or a 5-year-old computer has to be reset, I'm going to wait. The customer just spent 5-10 minutes on an automated server to speak to a live person. I'm going to help them! Instead, they threaten to fire you because your average call time isn't under 9 minutes. It doesn't matter that I fix the problems of nearly 99% of my customers. Instead, I get told not to help them with certain things because "it's beyond the mark of my demarcation," meaning it's a waste of my time and you're too stupid to do it yourself. Lastly, it'd be nice if we could get a little more help on the floor. You raise your hand for help if you've got a question. Then, you get ignored for 10 minutes with your team lead staring at you, but doing nothing. That kills the handle time they yell at you to keep down. You also get yelled at for leaving your customer on hold for longer than 2 minutes at a time.
They have unrealistic goals and lie their butts off about how great the job is, but then they change everything, take stuff away, and provide plenty of criticism and complaints.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/08/2012 11:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Convergys/Logan-Utah-84321/Convergys-Comcast-project-Lying-sacks-of-crap-Logan-Utah-924636. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Convergys

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Wait a minute

AUTHOR: RoPa - ()

Being off the mark of your demarcation doesn't mean that it's a waste of time and that you're too stupid to help the customer with their issue. It simply means that it's outside the scope of what you were hired to do, so if there's another department for that, you should transfer the customer over there. You are hired to do X, not Y or Z, so if you're making your calls longer by doing work that you weren't hired to do, of course that would get some attention from your superiors.

Most callers aren't 90 year olds with recent hip replacements. Everybody has long calls sometimes, but the call time metric is based on the average time of all your calls. Even hang-ups and transfers are a part of that average, which would bring your talk time down just as much as the long calls bring it up. Team leaders listen to your calls and if you have a long call that is legitimate (a 90 year old with no tech savvy and a recent hip replacement, for example), nobody would bother you about that. Those calls aren't the problem.

Selling is everybody's job, to some degree. Maybe your primary job was tech support, for example, but everybody has to make offers and if you make them the right way, there's generally no harm. Often, there are offers for discounted movie channels, for example, and that constitutes a sale. So how terrible is it really to say something like, "Ma'am, I'm glad we were able to resolve your issue today, but I'm so sorry for the frustration it must have caused you. Can I make it up to you by offering you $5 off of HBO every month for the next 3 months?" Some very angry customers will accept that offer and see it as you GIVING them something. Some won't. It's not a high pressure sales situation - you get to move on if they say no - but why wouldn't you want to make an offer like that and help your customer while also making a little commission for yourself and getting your boss off your back? It's not your job to determine whether or not a frustrated customer would like to hear about an offer that's available to them. It's your job to make the offer and their job to either accept or decline it, and when you make the offer in a way that fits the situation (as well as their needs), you'd be surprised how many people take what you're offering. I can't tell you how many customers I talked to who were mad that they didn't get as many offers as they would have liked. It made them feel that they weren't appreciated as a customer who pays money to the client every month, meanwhile, they see offers on commercials and in print ads for discounted programming that someone didn't offer them.

I'm sorry that there was confusion between training and the floor. That's unfortunate. Personally, I think Convergys is a great company to work for and had a great experience working for them. I hope you found something that you like better.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Convergys Comcast project Lying sacks of crap!

AUTHOR: 99% - (United States of America)

Wow! You both nailed it. I thought I was an isolated incident regarding lying to employees, only to find out that this is the Convergys policy, not exception. I just submitted a post to this site regarding my experience as a work at home employee and it pretty much mirrors your experiences. Unbelievable that the people that do this, treat people like this can live with themselves. To blatantly lie and do what they do to get you through the revolving door, (the turnover is unbelievable) just blows me away that people have no conscience and have no reserve whatsoever about lying to people. Whatever it takes to get that cash in their pocket is fine by them. My TL was all over his agents all the time explaining he doesn't get his 50 cent commission from our sales if we do not sell and that pisses him off. Really? We get a crappy one time $5 for a LOB sale, he gets a cut, I'm sure his manager gets a cut, and you know what the client gets per year & per lifetime from that sale?? Pigs. Convergys will eventually crash & burn, but Comcrap? They have become the norm in Corporate America, and are now part of NBC, how disappointing. I really used to like NBC. I have lost all respect for NBC and their affiliates.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

I agree!!!!!

AUTHOR: Licia - (United States of America)

I worked for them. When I was in training it was cool. But once you finish training and hit the floor, its a whole new thing. As stated in training I was a customer rep, but after a while they pressure you into selling. All if a sudden you are REQUIRED to sell services. The team leaders are a bunch of retards.