Complaint Review: Cottman Transmission

• Submitted: Mon, May 02, 2005
  • Updated: Mon, May 02, 2005

• Reported By:Emmaus Pennsylvania
Cottman Transmission
950 Chestnut Street Emmaus, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Cottman Transmission ripoff, voided warrenty Emmaus Pennsylvania

In May of 2000 I had the transmission rebuilt in my 1994 Explorer. I did everything they required of me, ie. 7 to ten day check up, annual check.

In December of 2004 I had some problems with my transmission and called Cottman. The person who answered took my information and sounded surprised when I told them what kind of car I had. When I asked him about this he said they don't usually give lifetime warrenties on Explorers. But we made an appointment to have the transmission looked at.

When the car was in the shop, the manager called and asked me if I had the papers from the last time I had the car there. I asked him what papers and he said he had to see the work order or whatever they call it showing what they did when they last worked on the car.

They never gave me one receipt or anything back in 2000 except the original work order and the warrenty. They told me to make a photocopy of the papers in case something would happen to the originals.

He told me that he could not honor the warrenty without proof that I brought the car back for the annual checks. I never thought about asking for a receipt because on time they told me when I did ask "We know what we did." So I assumed they were keeping records. Well, guess what. No records. They voided my warrenty and said that I would have to pay all over again for a new warrenty.
The kicker though is that I was able to buy a lifetime warrenty from the same guy that told me they don't usually give warrenties on Explorers.
I
contacted the Better Business Bureau but they were unable to help. I just wanted everyone to know that I will make sure I get receipts and work orders and take my car back for checkups but will not give them any new business and recommend to family and friends that they do NOT give this establishment any business.

Ronald
Emmaus, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/02/2005 06:39 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Cottman-Transmission/Emmaus-Pennsylvania-18049/Cottman-Transmission-ripoff-voided-warrenty-Emmaus-Pennsylvania-141176. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Cottman Transmission