Complaint Review: CourseSmart.com

*Consumer Comment: Horrible Service

*Consumer Comment: It's a scam

*Consumer Suggestion: Rebuttal

* : More info if you have a complaint

I thought I had found a way to purchase my textbook for half the price by downloading an e-book. However, after paying with my credit card, I was then and only then notified that my operating system was not compatible. Not only did I never receive a confirmation of my order, but after multiple calls to a tech support line (only phone number in existence) I have received no response. It is clear that my $ is gone, I don't foresee any refund being credited.

As a student my money is already spread very thin, and if I couldn't afford the textbook before I certainly can't afford it now. It is appalling that I found the coursesmart.com website through resource links from my very own school site. I just want to make some noise and give this site the credit they deserve for their seedy practices!

Jemc49673
nevanevaland, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/19/2009 01:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CourseSmartcom/internet/CourseSmartcom-COURSESMART-IS-A-SCAM-Internet-426147. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CourseSmart.com

Horrible Service

AUTHOR: Noah - (Canada)

There was some hype about CourseMart on the iPad a while ago. I was very keen on the idea. But the app was awful and wouldn't adjust to the orientation I was holding the iPad in properly. It's been a while since I used it, I can't remember all my grievances with it, but it was indisputably flawed. Then I saw that my book store was selling CourseSmart activation codes alongside the physical texts. I contemplated with the staff whether I should try the nonrefundable service again. To save money, I tried it and was shocked in brand new ways about how bad it was. The receipt said I would be able to download the book, but actually it would only let me view it on a website, one page at a time.

Stay tuned for an announcement from Apple, they have been in discussions with textbook publishers and I have a feeling there will be good news for people that want educational ebooks.

It's a scam

AUTHOR: P.K. - (United States of America)

You have to have Firefox browser.  But you can't ever access tour book because the server is always too busy.  I have only seen the first page of my book because it won't let me change pages.  I always get kicked off because the server is too busy.  Save your money and go somewhere else.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Rebuttal

AUTHOR: Blayer - (United States of America)

CourseSmart.com is not a scam. I just used the website to rent an electronic version of Applying Cultural Anthropology: An Introductory Reader, and it works flawlessly. I can access the book from any computer with internet access. I was not overcharged on my credit card for the purchase. I saved about $30 (about 50%) renting the book instead of buying it.

However, from sources I've read, the technical support is not excellent. I'm using Windows XP and Google Chrome to access the book and it works perfectly. I'm not sure what operating system the original report writer is using, though the website says windows xp and vista are both compatible and Mac OS 10.3.9 or later is compatible.

As for refunds, the company offers a 4 day period after buying the online version of a book for a refund (though I have no personal experience with this.)

#4

More info if you have a complaint

AUTHOR: wasteoftime - (USA)

I'm not with coursesmart.com.

My comment is this: you could be helping other consumers by actually MENTIONING WHAT OPERATING SYSTEM YOU ARE USING that is not compatible with coursesmart.

Thanks for your critique. It's USELESS for OTHERS.

I repeat: I'm not with coursesmart.com.