Complaint Review: Covenant Transport

• Submitted: Sat, March 15, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, May 16, 2008

• Reported By:Germantown Wisconsin
Covenant Transport
400 Birmingham Highway Chattanooga, Tennessee U.S.A.

Covenant Transport poor communications, dispatchers, no miles, rooms are gone thru, bad logging Chattanooga Tennessee

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: LOL

*Author of original report: Covenant lives up to its reputation as being rude, and no communication

I had the greatest pleasure of choosing Covenant to work for. I went down there for orientation 2 weeks ago, and orientation is for 3 days. During that time the normal things go on (drug test, physical, etc). When I had the drug test, they test your sugar in your urine, and I asked what mine was as I'm diabetic. The girl who did it said she forgot to, and asked me how it had been running. I told her normal (as it had been) but to me it struck me odd that they didn't want to redo it as all companies out there aren't taking a diabetic's word on that. No biggy.

The 2nd day of staying in their hotel they own, the rooms were gone through. We were sitting outside in their smoking area, and saw them going room to room. I was appalled that they would go into the rooms, and go thru personal items. They check for drugs, alcohol, or smoking in the rooms. When you first check into the place, you sign a paper saying that they are not responsible for personal items on the property and that they have permission to go into your room at any time for any reason. They lived up to that rule.

While in orientation, you have new students, experienced, togethor. But while going over how to log, they tell you to flag 7 minutes in the morning for pretrips. I said that's asking DOT to give you a fine and the girl telling us how they want you to log said that's how they want you to do it. I flat out refuse to flag a 7 minute pretrip as it should be a bracketed 15-30 minute one. They push per diem but don't tell you they charge 2 cents per mile to take it. Their insurance is also sky high but that's up to individuals to take what they want.

After 3 days of orientation, they take you over to the "white house"--the main terminal. From there its mass confusion. You know you're going into personell, but they don't tell you anything after that. After I was done with personell, I asked them what I was supposed to do. They sent me to outbound, who then sent me into a room at 3:30 to find a team person.

At 3:30 a bunch of people go into this room and you TRY to find someone to team with. It's pretty much a match.com or eharmony room. You go here every day at this time until you find someone. Once you find someone, you get a dispatcher and a truck. The truck ended up in the shop for 3 days as they are slow, and when asking to meet the dispatcher--that was a nightmare in itself. This guy walks into the outbound office, snaps his fingers, points his finger to the door and says "who's here to meet Mike Everitt" then walks out. We looked at each other and followed him out. Total disrespect on this guys part. He was rude, arrogant, and looks down on drivers. I requested a new dispatcher and that took a day to do.

Anyways, the whole two weeks I was there I was sent a total of 33 miles into Dalton GA. We were told to get there asap, then sat until the next day. We drove the truck back to the terminal, and I said I was quitting. I was talked into not quitting, then was sent another load. 117 miles into Atlanta and had an hour to do it. How nice. I put in a message what time I could do it by, but also went into outbound asking what the heck was going on. I said that I might as well quit as I wasn't making any money at this rate and walked out to the truck. I wasn't even in it when my co driver got a message to go to the team room to find another partner. 2nd message within a minute was the load being taken off us. The woman in outbound didn't take long getting on the phone reporting I had quit, and she also didn't hear the WHOLE comment I made.

I did go back in at that point and did quit and got my ticket back home. I didn't get a dispatch so didn't get the $200 sign on bonus, not getting layover pay as I didn't get a dispatch, and basically spent 2 weeks there wasting my time.

If you want to work for a company that has major bad lack of communication this is the one to go to. They will go through your room while you are in orientation, not tell you what to do afterwards when they take you to personell, (you find out on your own), not pay you anything and know how to get around that, plus they charge you for prepass, chains (if you need them in a required state and don't have them), and its very confusing as to whats going on as orientation tells you one thing, then the main terminal tells you another thing. They have an open door policy yet you have to ask to see someone then sit and wait forever for them to come out from behind locked doors. If you don't want to make money and want to be treated rudely this is the place to go.

Hindsight2020
Germantown, Wisconsin

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/15/2008 07:04 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Covenant-Transport/Chattanooga-Tennessee/Covenant-Transport-poor-communications-dispatchers-no-miles-rooms-are-gone-thru-bad-lo-318116. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Covenant Transport

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Outtaluck - (U.S.A.)

Yeah, I'm about to start a fight with them myself in order to try to straighten out my DAC/USIS report, which they reported false information on.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Outtaluck - (U.S.A.)

Covenant lives up to its reputation as being rude, and no communication

AUTHOR: Hindsight2020 - (U.S.A.)

After being home for a week from leaving Covenant, I have continously called a minimum of twice daily requesting the pay that is owed to me. I have sat on hold, or gotten voice mail for all but one of the times. The one time I did get ahold of a live person, they transfered me to another department, who then transfered me to yet another department, and each time sat on hold for a minimum of 5 minutes.

I finally on the 3rd day, got the extension number to Dave Parker's office. Doesn't do any good. Kim Perry is his secretary, and after calling close to 18 times in 6 days, and leaving just as many messages, none have been returned. Absolutely NONE. They feel that being told on the qualcom to drive to Dalton is not a dispatch so feel no need to pay me for anything at all. Not even those 33 miles which isn't much--but that's not the point. They know how to work around not paying you.

Something else I forgot to mention is the physical they give you. I did mention that when they did the urine test and I had asked about my sugar as I am diabetic, I was told oh, I forgot to check--how has it been running? What I forgot to mention is that when they do the physicals, and take your blood pressure and ask personal questions, they do it in front of everyone where every single person in that room can hear the questions and answers. Example--your height, weight, any medical probs in the family, etc.

This is beyond embarrassing to answer when you don't know any of these other people sitting there who are listening. It is also very embarrassing to go into the women's restroom three at a time, and peeing in a cup with men or women doing the same thing in the other two stalls at the same time. You walk in, take the cup, as the other two people also do at the same time, then walk out to a table set up and hand it to them. It may not bother some people, but to me its embarrassing to have different genders all in the same room peeing in cups, and also being asked personal questions in front of total strangers. Its almost on the same level as being humiliated.

The trucks there are also plain basic trucks. This is their choosing, but most companies do have something extra in them. They have manual driver side windows, only electric adjusting windows on the passenger side, and thats it for luxuries. No libasko heaters, or tripacs. They said that running as a team you don't need them. No you don't as a rule, but even teams sit once in a while and I sure would hate to in zero weather without those features. Even teaming in other companies, we had those. I guess I got used to having trailer brakes, trip odometers, electric windows on both sides, and other small items. These trucks have nothing extra in them. Makes me appreciate what I had in the past when I got into these.

So don't take my word for it or anyone else who's written anything on this web sight. Go there and find out for yourself.