Complaint Review: Coventry Health Care

• Updated: Mon, September 30, 2013

• Reported By: jonkahn68 — West Columbia South Carolina
Coventry Health Care
6720 - B Rockledge Drive, Suite 700 Bethesda, Maryland USA

Coventry Health Care Coventry Health Care, cheap rates because they don't pay claims or prescriptions Bethesda Maryland

My company switched insurance providers to Coventry (no doubt to save money). Apparently, the way they save money is by just not paying claims. I saw my doctor just prior to the switch, and mentioned that i would have to find a new doctor since he didn't take Coventry. He informed me that they had stopped taking Coventry due to the extreme hassle of getting them to approve medications.

I was paying $96/week for family medical through my wife's company health plan (CIGNA). They were great, low co-pays, no hassle, no BS. My company switched from a high deductible plan with an HSA to Coventry. My company covers the premiums, so I figured it was a "no brainer". Now, after 1 month coventry denies my medication, which I have to pay out of pocket $260/month. They also denied one of my wifes prescriptions, though she could take an alternative, but has to take it 3 times a day instead of 1 a day. They also said they would only cover half of another of my wifes prescriptions.

So, the insurance company who has never examined myself or my wife, is changing and denying our prescriptions based primarily on cost. Obviously, they can do whatever the heck they want, and the average person has no recourse but to just take it.

My recommendation to anyone considering Coventry health care is to re-consider. If you're saving money on the front end, I guarantee it will cost you dearly in the end. I can't put a price tag on having the health care my wife and I need, but I wish I never would have left CIGNA. I will re-new with them when the enrollment period comes back around. It's a shame when a "free" plan costs more than the plan I was paying $96/week for.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/30/2013 03:14 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Coventry-Health-Care/Bethesda-Maryland-20817/Coventry-Health-Care-Coventry-Health-Care-cheap-rates-because-they-dont-pay-claims-or-p-1088416. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Coventry Health Care