Complaint Review: Cox Communications

• Submitted: Wed, August 20, 2008
  • Updated: Tue, September 02, 2008

• Reported By:San Juan Capistrano California
Cox Communications
29947 Avenida De Las Banderas Santa Margarita, California U.S.A.

Cox Communications Very Deceptive Advertising, No Prices/Costs EVER Discussed Santa Margarita California

*UPDATE Employee: Re: Customer Service Problems

August 2008 I'd had it with the weekly COX Ads to upgrade to High Definition, Digital, DVR, etc. I'd had it with the every other week calls at dinnertime, early in the morning, while I was working for the same. I'd tell them I'd tried it once before and it "pixilated" and was too complicated. With all the ads about Feb 2009 everything going digital, and not being a techno-genius, I decided...let's just get a jump ahead and "upgrade". I called Cox. A guy came out within a day or two and brought the DVR box. Never discussed with me were costs. I assumed that my current $17.00 a month might go up by about $10.00 a month. The guy left.

I turned on the TV and my favorite channels, including CNN were gone. But there were about 20+ channels with "R" rated movies that my 87 year old husband and I are not interested in at all.

I called COX. The woman was unkind and unsympathethic. I told her I'd been getting channels 14 through 43 (now gone) for years for our $17.00 a month. Could they take off all those R-rated movies and give me back my channels? I said I can't afford an additional $31.00 a month for what I had...and I didn't want all those movies. She said, "Well, I guess you can only have what you can afford." And proceeded to ask if I wanted to just disconnect everything right then and there.

Now, it's not the $31.00 - it's the WAY THIS WAS HANDLED by the Cox employee. Honestly...she should be fired. I'll be writing a letter to Cox. Had she handled things right I'd have found that extra $31.00. It's also about be upfront with fees. You can't even go on their website and find fees for various things "upfront". If they're there anywhere....they are hidden. I never did find them.

Doing a little research and I found out that there are few other (if any) options. Turner says it doesn't service our area YET. Now I know why the Cox employees are so nasty....they know we don't have many other choices. Hello! That's the problem with the DMV and any other agency that we're forced to deal with without any other options. It's 100% Un-American.

I'll find my options, alright...starting with simply finding anyone who has the three services, even if I do have to pay more. I can guarantee you I'll take every opportunity to bad-mouth COX as well.... I'd done the opposite and encouraged friends and family to get COX - no more, and I'll now encourage them to switch.

I also plan to write to Turner and ask them when they'll have their service in my area. For now it might be back to AT&T and a satellite dish.

Bjt
San Juan Capistrano, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/20/2008 02:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Cox-Communications/Santa-Margarita-California-92688/Cox-Communications-Very-Deceptive-Advertising-No-PricesCosts-EVER-Discussed-Santa-Margar-365025. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Cox Communications

Re: Customer Service Problems

AUTHOR: Coxtech1 - (U.S.A.)

First of all, I apologize for any problems you have experience with our service and/or staff. If you would like me to assist you further with this issue please feel free to email me at hrd-hsi.newsgroups@cox.com and I'd be happy to see what I can do to resolve this matter for you.