Complaint Review: Credit Acceptance

• Reported By: CAS09 — Athens Alabama United States of America
Credit Acceptance
Hwy 72 Athens, Alabama United States of America

Credit Acceptance How can they garnish my wages after 12yrs. Athens, Alabama

*Consumer Comment: They must have gotten a judgement against you...

Thirteen years ago I went to a used car lot a paid $1200 down on a 1995 Mazda 626. After 2 weeks of having to car the transmission went out, I called to dealer and explained the problem he proceeded to tell me that it wasnt my problem and that I signed the papers. So I told them that they can come get the piece of crap, because it doesnt serve me any purpose sitting in my yard, at the time I was very young maybe 20 yrs old and had no idea about the lemon laws. My mother went to them and explained that they sold me a lemon, credit acceptance doesnt carry any type of lemon law, is what the guy told my mother.

Here it is 13 yrs later and they have started garnishing my wages, mind you that the car was priced at $8,000 and now the car would only be worth $2,053, but they are trying to garnish my wages for $23,379.39. How is this possible? Im not denying that I owe for the car, but $23,379 is insane. I was never served a summon for this debt, I had to go to talk to payroll to get a copy of the summons. How can they garnish with me being notified about it first? Honestly, I cant afford to have my check garnished $311 a month. Please do not deal with this company, they are rude, dishonest and disrespectful.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/25/2012 12:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Credit-Acceptance/Athens-Alabama-35611/Credit-Acceptance-How-can-they-garnish-my-wages-after-12yrs-Athens-Alabama-859134. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Credit Acceptance

They must have gotten a judgement against you...

AUTHOR: MovingForward - (USA)

When you "gave the car back" you did a voluntary repo.  You did not take care of the rest of the issue. Giving the car/truck/vehicle back does not extinguish the loan.

Your Mother going to the dealership to talk about lemon laws would not have helped your issue anyway.  Lemon laws do not apply to used vehicles. It's possible she is/was unaware that discussing lemon laws with the dealership would not take care of the problem. (However, this is your issue and your puzzle to solve. It's unfortunate she didn't know what to do at the time.)

In the meantime, it is apparent that the note holder filed a lawsuit against you and received a default judgement. Now they are excercising their right to garnish your paycheck to repay the debt. First look up the judgement you have against you. It will be in your county's public records. Then pull the court case to see what happened and when it was filed.

The reason the amount is so high is because the judgement continues to accrue interest from the date it was issued and it sounds like it was issued a long time ago. (based on your post)

If in fact you were never served, then you might be able to vacate the judgement. Look up the statutes in your state to see what you need to do to vacate this judgement. You probably need an attorney to assist you with vacating this judgement.