Complaint Review: Crete/Shaffer/Hunt

• Submitted: Sat, December 29, 2007
  • Updated: Tue, January 01, 2008

• Reported By:Council Bluffs Iowa
Crete/Shaffer/Hunt
www.cretecarrier.com Lincoln, Nebraska U.S.A.

Crete/Shaffer/Hunt Gone in 2 months Lincoln Nebraska

*Consumer Comment: Recruiters do not make contracts with drivers

I talked to the recruiter at Crete mid Oct. of 2007. I had 3 issues to resolve before I applied to them. I had asked the recruiter about hazmat endorsement and that I wasn't going to renew it due to our genuis gov't imposing there "National Security Background Check" on drivers. Which costs $$$. He stated that Crete reimburst drivers $100 to get it. I said O.K. that would work. Next issue I had was that I didn't run the Northeast. He said it shouldn't be a problem. The company had about 150 or so drivers in that area so I wouldn't have to go there. I went there twice. My final issue was that I told him I didn't pull reefers. I can't sleep around them. He said it wasn't a problem, they have more than enough drivers that I shouldn't have to pull one.
In Dec. of 2007 dispatch assigned a reefer load to me. I refused the load and didn't pull it per prehire agreement with the recruiter. I got back home for xmas and tcalled the load. I talked to my terminal manager about the agreement. He told me either pull reefers or clear my truck out. I told him that he just terminated me. He stated no he didn't. As I was clearing the truck dispatch called me and said that the load wasn't tcalled and now was going to be late for delivery. I haven't checked but I'm almost positive that Crete will D.A.C. me for load abandonment. I suppose it doesn't matter too much. I'm not driving anymore. Crete burned me out.

David
Council Bluffs, Iowa

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/29/2007 10:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CreteShafferHunt/Lincoln-Nebraska/CreteShafferHunt-Gone-in-2-months-Lincoln-Nebraska-295452. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Crete/Shaffer/Hunt

AUTHOR: Anthony - (U.S.A.)

Drivers should know that recruiters far more often than not, will be less than honest in the process of luring them to a company. They are paid to produce warm bodies. They can lie about practically anything, and often will.

You had three issues. You cleared one up with them reimbursing you for your haz-mat endorsement. That is a reasonable exchange.

I spent three years leased to Crete some years ago. I found them to be a fairly decent company to work for and with. They have issues for sure, but drivers often subject themselves to the difficulties that they encounter because they do not take the time to consider certain things.

Crete runs 48 states. They pull reefers, although it's rare for a driver hired for the dry division to be asked to pull one, but on occasion they will call upon a driver to do so to cover freight. They are basically a forced dispatch company, with choices being allowed when they are available. All of this is made known up front to drivers interested in working for them.

I too have conditions that I will not tolerate as well, but I avoid them by not taking jobs where the issues have any chance of becoming a problem. I no longer care to run northeast of Pennsylvania. I've made two job changes since I made that a condition of mine a decade ago, and I've never encountered an issue where I was faced with the prospect of being asked to go there, because I only hook up with companies that do not do business up that way.

The company I have worked for now for two years does do business up that way, but I was hired for a specific route that takes me home weekly and that works to avoid the issue as well.

Quite honestly, I've never heard of lying recruiters from Crete, but anything is possible. It's tough to find decent drivers, and deceit on the behalf of recruiters never keeps a good one around for very long.

I'm saddened to read that another person has decided to leave the industry altogether, rather than to give it another go, but with a little more care and diligence in choosing their jobs.

To anyone reading this, the most important thing you have to do during the job search, is to do a great deal of research on any company you are considering. Don't depend on them to shoot you straight. They likely won't. You need to know when a lie is a lie.

Any sticking points that you have, or conditions that you will not work under, need to be defined and hammered out until you are convinced that the company is right for you.

There are many fine people out there that are hired to recruit drivers. At the same time, there are many others that are only determined to bring in people at any cost. The latter give the former a bad name. Weigh the answers you get to questions with due care, and ask yourself if the answers come to easy or sound too good to be true.

And never go against that little voice in your head that is telling you that something doesn't sound right. If you think you're being lied to, you probably are.