Complaint Review: Cross Country Motor Club - Roadside Assistance Program

• Updated: Fri, August 24, 2012

• Reported By: bobbic — Weston Massachusetts United States of America
Cross Country Motor Club - Roadside Assistance Program
P.O. Box 9145, Medford, MA 02155 Boston, Massachusetts United States of America

Cross Country Motor Club - Roadside Assistance Program Sold a useless service Boston, Massachusetts

*Consumer Comment: The whole story?

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: 0wner

*General Comment: Customer Service for Cross Country

*Consumer Suggestion: Road Service

*Consumer Comment: Did you even read, Ramjet?

*Consumer Comment: What does your contract say?

I have paid to be covered by Cross Country Motor Club Roadside Assistance Program for years and, now that I finally need it, I find that this service is USELESS.

I live in the summer in northern New Hampshire (Center Harbor, NH). Having called this service today because my 11 year old BMW seems to have a fuel injection problem, I now learn that Cross Country Motor Club will  tow my car only to the nearest BMWdealership which happens to be 72 miles away, rather than to the very competent foreign car automotive shop which is only 8 1/2 miles away. Of course, with no car to get me the 72 miles to the dealership to pick up the car once it is repaired, the only option provided to me by their customer service phone rep was that I would have to PAY to have my repaired car towed 72 miles back to me once the car is in fact repaired.

IT WOULD COST ME FAR LESS merely to have my car towed the 8 1/2 miles to the nearest non-BMW dealership than to pay to have my car towed 72 miles back to me. It would take an idiot to make that choice over an 8 1/2 mile tow.

So what exactly did I pay for? Does Cross Country Motor Club not care about the customer experience? About customer satisfaction? Do they assume that none of their customers ever travel further than 15-20 miles from any BMW dealership? Did they ever really think about or care about the customer? Obviously not, given their unreasonable policies.

My advice to all potential customers of Cross Country Motor Club and its Roadside Assistance Program is not to waste their money. The money that I have paid to Cross Country might as well have gone into the wastebasket.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/08/2011 09:21 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Cross-Country-Motor-Club-Roadside-Assistance-Program/Boston-Massachusetts-/Cross-Country-Motor-Club-Roadside-Assistance-Program-Sold-a-useless-service-Boston-Mas-762713. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Cross Country Motor Club - Roadside Assistance Program

The whole story?

AUTHOR: ItowU - (United States of America)

First let me say I in no way like Cross Country/ Agero (they have now changed there name). With that said I have some questions.

1. Did you buy your car from a BMW dealer?

2. What method did you use to purchase your contract with above mentioned club?

3. Did you not read your contract in full before purchase?

Now let me say this as a towing provider I have many time delt with this company. These people along with most motor clubs drag the bottom of the barrel for tow providers. So there are very many factors that could be in play here. Here is the one thing I will tell you for sure there is a cluase in your contract that gives them the right to provide what ever service they see fit. Which is why when you sign up you should read the contract and understand it.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

AUTHOR: michael rogers - (United States of America)

I was a onwer in Ohio. I would get calls late at night and when I get there the customer has sat for 3 or 4 hours. I made them feel safe> But they ask me what took me so long. I told them I just got the call at 2:00 am and arrive at 3;30 AM. They had a ride waiting for them. I drove 75 miles to get there and tow the car 40 miles to the dealership, but I didn:t complain. But in a onwer/ op that is my paycheck.

But if the car isn"t under dealership warrent it doesn"t have to be tow to a derlership. The owner has the right to have it took whereever he wants it deliver.

#3 General Comment

Customer Service for Cross Country

AUTHOR: rugged - (United States of America)

Their customer service is hideous. They don't really care about us  , the consumers. They have to send providers from 50 to  100 miles away because their local ones will not make a penny.

Scenario: Tire change: A local provider will get paid $38.00 base, (if their lucky) . Provider will drive 6 miles to do the tire change. Provider has to give them 10 miles free. So guess what?

Provider makes $38.00 for a on-site tire change. The provider has to pay gas, driver, insurance, tires, wear n tear, preventive maintenance and so forth. Roadside Assistance Provider makes $3.00 overall, if lucky, after overhead expenses incurred.

Pay good and Providers will be fighting for the jobs. They don't pay good, guess who gets short end of the stick? We do. Ugh! And you croak in the meantime, waiting. Imagine if your in the middle of nowhere, pregnant, with a child, with an elderly etc.........AIRHEADS!

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Road Service

AUTHOR: Dave - (U.S.A.)

They sent the tow truck from 50 miles away because the motor club didn't have a local provider. Hiring a non contracted local company is a last resort for motorclubs because they have to pay them their full shop rate which is much higher than a contracted providers rate. (Usually)

As for why Cross Country wouldn't tow you to the nearby shop of your choice doesn't make any sense unless it's stipulated in your contract that all tows go to the closest dealer, Or you may have talked to someone new when you called for the tow.

More importantly, You can always call a tow truck yourself instead of playing the road service crapshoot.

Did you even read, Ramjet?

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

TOTAL STUPIDITY, I wonder how these guys even find their way to work.

Same thing happened to me way back.  Needed a tow, but instead of sending one from the shop 1/4 mile away, (or any of the local ones) they wanted to send one from a town 50 miles away.

What does your contract say?

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

What your contract says is really the issue isn't it? I think most roadside assistance plans purpose is to get the car to a location to get it back on the road.

What if the car had broken down in California?  Would you expect they should tow it thousands of miles?