Complaint Review: Crown Valley Animal Hospital - Dr. Scott Ivers

• Submitted: Sat, March 21, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, January 20, 2010

• Reported By:Laguna Beach California
Crown Valley Animal Hospital - Dr. Scott Ivers
28892 Crown VAlley Pkwy Laguna Niguel, California U.S.A.

Crown Valley Animal Hospital - Dr. Scott Ivers DO NOT GO TO CROWN VALLEY ANIMAL CARE CENTER AT ALL COSTS!! Laguna Niguel California

*Consumer Comment: Crown Valley Animal Clinic - Excellent Care

*Consumer Comment: Wrong

*Consumer Comment: DISAGREE- DR. IVERS IS FABULOUS

*Consumer Comment: DISAGREE- DR. IVERS IS FABULOUS

* : Another Pet Owner Who Use to Go to Ivers

* : Another Pet Owner Who Use to Go to Ivers

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: False information

The nightmare began on Sunday February 1, 2009.
My Dog had been throwing up a brownish liquid type vomit for a few days. I monitored his intake of food and thought it might pass. Then that Sunday, there was blood in his vomit which forced me to panic.Since it was Sunday, our regular Veterinarian was not available, so I took him to the closest Animal Hospital which to my mistake was the Crown Valley Animal Care Center.
I regret ever walking through those doors.

When I arrived, I was glad that there was a Vet on duty and he examined my Dog by feeling his abdomen and checking other vital signs.I was then told that they wanted to run some X-rays and to return in one hour.
When I returned, I was immediately charged $500 for the Office Call, X-rays and tests.The Dr. (Dr. Scott Ivers) told me that my Dog was Anemic and needed a Blood Transfusion and other tests and needed to spend the night for observation.His Assistant then went over a 24 line item Invoice totaling $1,550 for the work that my Dog apparently needed.

He spent the night and I was told the next day that his Red Blood Cell count was still low and needed another transfusion.I was then told over the phone that I had an outstanding Invoice for an additional $1,300 and that they could not proceed with the additional work without my authorization for payment for the Invoice.
I was then charged an additional $976.00 for additional miscellaneous work done to him without my consent.
He was given the Treatment and seemed to be doing better so we were relieved that he was finally able to come home with us. Not after another $588.00 for miscellaneous treatment.

He seemed to be doing well for a few days when he began vomiting again.We took him back and Dr. Ivers then said that our Dog should stay with him to avoid this Back and forth shuttling between our home and the Hospital so that they can observe him.He was admitted again on 2/19/09.

I checked in on a Friday night to see how he was doing and was wondering what the charges were for his visit so far. Another $246.00 was the answer.I spoke with Dr. Ivers the next day to check on the progress of our dog and was told that he was still weak and still needed to stay for observation. He then stated that he was not going to be in the office until Tuesday of the following week.

Knowing that Dr. Ivers wasn't available, I checked with a Technician the following Monday just to see how our Dog was doing. The Technician said that his Blood count was at 17 the day before on Sunday and that the normal levels should be 20 and above so he still had a way to go.

On Tuesday, Dr. Ivers called me to inform me that our Dog was not responding to any of the treatments to increase his Red Blood Count and that his Red Blood Count dropped dangerously low to 9 from 17 the previous Sunday.He said that he suspected that there was Internal Bleeding and that our dog required surgery.However, he said that he would first have to give him another blood transfusion to temporarily raise his Red Blood Cell count high enough to perform Surgery.I thought that he was to receive treatment for at least 2-4 days to get his body strong enough to have the surgery performed.

The next morning to my utter shock I received a call from the Receptionist stating that she once again needed my Credit Card number because our Dog was scheduled for surgery that morning. I refused to give her the number until I spoke with Dr. Ivers. He said that he was stable enough for surgery and that he was the first to be scheduled that morning.My Wife went to see our Dog before he went into surgery and was shocked to see that he was not even responsive and he could barely lift his head or keep his eyes open.She questioned one of the staff, Are you sure he's well enough for surgery. The Staff person played it off and said to our Dog, You're ok, huh?

My Wife stayed at the hospital during the surgery because we were told the day before that if he finds anything Unfriendly that he would have to euthanize our Dog on the operating table.You can only imagine what we were going through that morning.

After the surgery, he told my Wife that he was happy with the results and that there was an ulcer, BUT there was an outside chance that he could have Lymphoma.
He said that he would send a sample taken of the Ulcer and part of his Liver to the Pathologist for testing.
Again, we were on pins and needles awaiting the results. The surgery was on Wednesday and we were not clearly informed of the results until late Saturday afternoon.
We were relieved and assumed that our Dog was on his way to recovery.

The following Monday, Dr. Ivers told me that our Dog could be released the next day. That was very encouraging news to us because he had been in the hospital for almost 2 weeks.My Wife was very pleased with the news and went to visit our Dog that night.

To her shock, he was in no better condition than he was before the surgery. This being five days after the surgery. He was unresponsive with labored breathing.
Until then, I had full trust in Dr, Ivers.

The next day I Googled his name out of curiosity and the first site that came up was RIPOFF.COM.
There was a story posted from a Customer was almost identical to what we have been through.
I was floored.I then did more searching and Googled Crown Valley Animal Care Reviews.I was literally speechless when I read review after review on how other people were unnecessarily charged and unnecessary and negligent procedures were performed on their pets.

The following day, I went directly to see Dr. Ivers without calling and talked to him.I asked him why he said that our Dog was well enough to go home, yet when my Wife observed him, he was just as bad as he was before the surgery.He then responded that now it was his Potassium levels that were low causing the lethargy.
I already heard enough and I asked him point blank, I realize you're aware of what comes up when you Google your name right?He literally changed before my eyes from this confident Dr. to a person that was back pedaling and was obviously in shock that I knew about the complaints against him.Of course he denied having any knowledge of anything posted on the Internet about him and casually said, I'll have to look into it.
I told him that our number one objective was to have our Dog back. I only said this because I did not know what they would do to him if I displayed any negativity towards them.

I then returned that night after Dr. Ivers had gone home to see the condition of our Dog. I was expecting him to be lying on his side in pain with his eyes closed, but surprisingly, at least his eyes were open.I was again shocked when I asked the night staff if he had been eating much, and they replied, He really likes the chicken from Subway.What Vet gives an ailing Dog processed food meant for Human Consumption???
I just wanted to make sure that on his last night there, that they were not giving him anymore medication nor transfusions.

My Wife and I then went the following morning before Dr, Ivers arrived, and took our Dog out of that place.
I am positive that he would have been kept there longer because even though they did not find Lymphoma, he said that he wanted to talk to the Pathologist further because there might be something cellular that did not show up in the tests.I know exactly what would have happened next. He would have run more and more tests, administered more medication to our Dog, and would finally say, I'm sorry we did all we could for him after charging me more money.

We immediately took him to our regular Vet and he was shocked not only that we were charged over $10,600.00, but the condition or Dog was in.I took him over a half an hour to find a vein that wasn't punctured from the numerous transfusions, IV's and medication given to him.
He told us that the following 48 hrs would be critical.
Thank God he has made steady improvement everyday and is regaining his strength.

You would think that any normal Vet would immediately call the Client as to why they discharged the pet without their consent. Not with Dr. Ivers.Only when our regular Vet called their office to request that all Medical records be faxed to them, he called two days later to see How he was doing and what the other Vet reviewed. He did not question why we took our dog and did not even show concern.We again were relieved that all of this was behind us and that he is finally on the road to recovery.But we were again to be devastated.

Almost 3 weeks after his surgery and 2 weeks after we pulled him from the hospital, our Dog vomited for the first time since he's been home.My Wife noticed an object mixed in with his vomit and took it as a sample.
We immediately took him to our Vet and were shocked when he told us what it was.It was a plastic IV tube Holder that was apparently dropped or left in his abdomen when the surgery was performed!Unless they fed him this or it was mixed in with his food there is absolutely no other way this object could have ended up in his stomach.
I am so livid now that I cannot think straight.

How can someone play with people emotions and cause such pain and cruelty to animals all for money?
I hope this will prevent others from the hell my Wife and I have and most importantly or Dog has been through the past month.

Mark my words, I am not done with Dr. Ivers and Crown Valley Animal Care Center. PLEASE, PLEASE, if you really care about your pet which everyone that owns one obviously does, AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS!!!!
I do not want to wish what we've gone through to anyone.

Rvng10fld
Laguna Beach, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/21/2009 10:07 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Crown-Valley-Animal-Hospital-Dr-Scott-Ivers/Laguna-Niguel-California-92677/Crown-Valley-Animal-Hospital-Dr-Scott-Ivers-DO-NOT-GO-TO-CROWN-VALLEY-ANIMAL-CARE-CENTE-436251. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Crown Valley Animal Hospital - Dr. Scott Ivers

Crown Valley Animal Clinic - Excellent Care

AUTHOR: Sandra T. - (USA)

I moved out to Orange County in 1998 with my two cats. I needed a 24-hour vet, because one of my cats had respiratory problems. I found Crown Valley in the phone book. In 2001, I rescued an 8-week old Siamese from the OC Shelter. I didn't realize until a day later that she was sick. I took her in to see Dr. Ivers. He took one look at her and said she had feline distemper. He kept her for 3 days and told me that I needed to bring her home - that she needed people around her who could make her feel at home (and not in a cage). We took her home - and stayed in contact with Dr. Ivers for the next 2 weeks. She almost died twice, but with the right meds and care - finally recovered. She is now almost 15 years old and the joy of our home. I've taken all of my cats and my rescue/foster cats to Dr. Ivers. He is caring, but direct. He has never let my family down and I can't imagine another vet caring for my pets.

Wrong

AUTHOR: Kelly - ()

This is a rebuttal to the report of the partial tear condition in which Dr Ivers recommended gene therapy: When a pet owner or parent for that matter has a situation where they wish to have an x day it is up to them. You can't be refused. I have had 2 dogs that have been patients of Dr I era for over 3 years and have never once had a less that exceedingly positive experience. I was also referred by 2 co workers whose pets had serious ailments and have been thriving since. Yes it is expensive but worth it because of the high quality services they provide. ( and yes, they do have stem-cell therapy that can do wonders for your pet in situations such as a partial tear.) my dog had a fully torn ligament on her knee three years ago so did not qualify since it only helps partial tears. Since then, she has been thriving and can now use both her hind legs. She was only using one before that. A HUGE part of healing is the right care at home. If it were a sprain but you kept taking your dog out on long walks, hikes etc your dog wI'll get worse.

Another factor is that all Drs are not magicians and don't have a crystal ball. I don't know the circumstances I don't know why he did not recommend one unless the knee felt just like the other knees he has felt that had the partial tear, but since I was not there I don't know. But it is every patient/ parents/ pet owners right to ask. Maybe you stressed cost was an issue And he was trying to be considerate.... Either way, he has don't wonders for my Maggie and I feel some of these reports are people who are frustrated their pet was truly sick or dying and he couldn't help them... there was another post about a dog having no temp and died after picking up their pet from The vets office. Be wise of my experiences with him I believe 100% there is something you are missing. He saved my dogs quality of life and ultimately her life because using one leg will surely end in it going out at some point. Readers: please don't take these as your only research in finding your opinion of dr Ivers. Scroll down and look at yelp reviews and reviews on their website because overall he is a hero!!!!!!

DISAGREE- DR. IVERS IS FABULOUS

AUTHOR: Sheree Miller - (USA)

Dr. Ivers is a fabulous Veterinarian, he is a "ONE OF A KIND'" Vet with a heart of gold!!!

Sorry you feel the way you do, I will tell everyone of my GREAT PLEASANT experiences with Dr. Ivers and the hospital he is associated with:

Dr. Ivers has been treating all my special needs animals with EXPERT CARE and DEVOTION for over 5 years now and I wouldn't trust my animals to any one else!!

Dr. Ivers has such vast impressive expertise and knowledge, he has always been "spot on" when diagnosing my animals illnesses.  He ALWAYS HAS THE ANIMALS BEST INTEREST AT HEART.

The Crown Valley Animal Care Center is certainly not the least expensive veterinary hospital, but "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"!!

Dr. Ivers is a very kind compassionate person, he loves what he does and is extremely DEDICATED to helping his animal patients ACHIEVE GOOD QUALITY OF LIFE, he is HIGHLY EDUCATED and continuously educates himself and others.  HE IS A FABULOUS VET THAT DESERVES MUCH RESPECT!

AS LONG AS DR. IVERS CONTINUES TO PRACTIVE AS A VETERINARIAN, HE WILL CONTINUE TO BE THE ONLY VET I RECCOMMEND TO OTHERS.  DR. IVERS, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO FOR THE ANIMALS, THE COMMUNITY AND YOUR STAFF.

DISAGREE- DR. IVERS IS FABULOUS

AUTHOR: Sheree Miller - (United States of America)

#5

Another Pet Owner Who Use to Go to Ivers

AUTHOR: Jake - (USA)

With all due respect to Ivers (and I put that mildly), I suggest most people should have access to a Doctor or Vet's background, which is not easily to come by. I have no information concerning this particular case, but I can speak from experience on my own dog who I took to Iver's practice for about two years. As with any doctor or dentist, it takes several trips to fully realize who you are potentially dealing with.

With my interactions with Ivers, it always appeared rushed, as if he wants to get you in and out of the office under 5 - 10 minutes. You can wait up to 20 - 30 minutes before he comes into the examination room, makes quick conversation, checkup of your dog, and then his exit and your trip to the front desk to pay some $$. If you have questions or need things explained, Ivers has the appearance of being perturbed and 'wanting to get on with it'. That is just my observation after taking my dog to Crown Valley for general checkup, shots, and an occasion or two of dog being sick. I trusted his advice and sincerity, and was willing to overlook the traits I mentioned, as long as my dog was getting expert advice and service.  But in hindsight, perhaps Mr. Ivers needs some needed rest if he spends so much time at his practice. I am weary how much interest he has at stake for my pet. Again, your mileage may vary in terms of customer service, and this is how I felt with my interactions with him. Everything felt really time-centric and less customer-centric. HOWEVER if I'm paying good $$$ to see a vet who is suppose to be extremely qualified and with a state-of-the-art facility for my pets care, my pet better get that care. READ ON...

With general care and check up, Ivers was OK. But when I had something of concern regarding the health of my dog, that is when Ivers majorly screwed up. On a urgent visit to Ivers, my dog went in to see him because he had a major limp in his back leg. Ivers gave him the cursory examine. He gave him some medication and said it was a sprain. After a few weeks, the dog was still limping. Brought him back. Ivers felt the dog's leg over. WITHOUT Xrays, he states the dog has a minor torn ligament that would respond well to gene therapy (?!) and one other solution, that I can not recall off the top of my head right now. My particular dog breed however (and if Ivers knew his stuff) has a problem with Paletta Luxation, a slipping of the dog's knee cap that REQUIRES surgery to correct it. I only found this out after I decided to get a second opinion. My suspicions about Ivers crept into my mind earlier that year after he had made another diagnosis about my dog that I didn't completely agree with, but I naively thought, "he's the vet."

The second opinion vet, when presented with my dogs case, immediately performed Xrays to determine the extent of what was going on with my dog. He immediately diagnosed my dog with the right problem and referred me to a a medical group in Irvine that specializes in Paletta Luxation surgery. THEY were EXCELLENT.

I shudder to think how much $$$, time, and BS I would have wasted with Ivers. GENE THERAPY? OR I wonder what Ivers would have done once he cut into my dog and discovered his wrong diagnosis? I wonder what spin he would have given me and how much money it would have cost.

I will never go to Ivers again based on such a blatant misdiagnosis of my dog for someone who supposedly is so good at what he does. I'm sure he has rebuttals for any comments people post, but I feel I should post my own opinion.

Whatever you do, always do your homework on a doctor, dentist, or vet. And ALWAYS try to get a second opinion. I find they strike the hardest when you are easily upset or your dog is in urgent need of care. That is when the $$$$ comes in.

#6

Another Pet Owner Who Use to Go to Ivers

AUTHOR: Jake - (USA)

#7 REBUTTAL Individual responds

False information

AUTHOR: Deborah - (U.S.A.)

To begin with, firstly, this man doesn't even have the respect to admit his own name but rather hides behind a false identity. Since he has completely defamed me, Dr. Scott W. Ivers, he should at the very least admit to who he is since he is posting this under a fictious name and address that immediately raises the first question, as to what else is fictious about this man's story.

This nightmare for me began approximately 3 weeks after I released his dog. It began with his attempt to, what can only be described as extort, millions of dollars (i.e. his first comment to me was that I was responsible for his dog's death and was demanding at least 2 million dollars). Believe me, if indeed his dog is now deceased, I feel extreme sorrow in the loss of the dog. I live and practice 7 days a week to provide nothing other than oustanding, up-to-date veterinarian care. I subscribe/read to monthly veterinarian jounals and travel, along with my wife who is also an outstanding veterinarian, Dr. Deborah A. Adams, to provide myself with state of the art continuing education courses held throughout the country to assure myself that I remain current within the realm of veterinary medicine and surgery. I am extremely proud and dedicated to my work. This is rewarded by the numerous cards of appreciation that I receive on regular basis from clients.

And now I will respond to his allegations. To begin, as he states, his dog was vomiting brownish liquid-type throw up for a few days. As even most first year veterinarian students will attest to, this type of multiple vomitus raises serious concerns involving CHRONIC upper gastrointestinal disease (i.e. this has been going on for a long time and involves either the stomach or small intestinal tract). In addition, as stated by Mr. Ohno what sent him finally to seek the advise of a veterinarian is that he saw 'plasma' in the vomitus. Plasma is never a component of vomiting. Plasma is the result of achieving a blood sample, inserting the sample into a glass tube, spinning the tube within a centrifuge, thus separating the red blood cells (RBCs) from the liquid that the RBCs suspend in, the liquid being the plasma.

So now we have a poor dog that has been anorexic and vomiting for a few days that presents to me in an emergent condition. Of course I run minimal diagnostics, to which I encourage you all to call around on a Sunday to open, available clinics for the price of an office call, immediate bloodwork results including coagulation profile and abdominal radiographs. I can assure you that approximately $500 is average or under what other emergency clinics or referral practices charge. You can call 24 hour or emergency clinics and ask for a quote for office call, bloodwork including a coagulation profile, and abdominal radiographs. This is due to the fact that we at Crown Valley Animal Care (CVACC) realize that we are here for the community, and want to keep inital costs to a minimum to assure that we have at least the minimal diagnostics to provide the owner with some idea of what we feel we may be dealing with in an animal that presents in critical condition. In addition, Mr. Ohno's dog who was in critical condition stayed with us for six days of stabilization prior to surgery, and the total bill including surgery was approximately $5000.00 (rather than the grossly exaggerated amount stated by Mr. Ohno (which by the way would not be an uncommon cost for the level of care his dog required). This included necessary transfusions, continuous intravenous supportive care, 24 hour nursing care, etc. Once again, I strongly encourage you to obtain FACTUAL information and to follow up with a local 24 hour care facility (i.e. there will be a nurse in attendance 24 hours to monitor your pet, and either a veterinarian present or on call also to attend to the pet 24 hours) as to what abdominal surgery and at least a week of in-hospital care costs, including necessary transfusions based on a very low hematocrit count would be (you can merely state when calling that your local day veterinarian has stated that this is what you must prepare yourself from an emotional and financial standing). Again, I want to leave nothing up to speculation but rather rely only upon facts.

The fact that when a dog is not responding to medical therapy as opposed to surgical intervention, most likely will lead to no other alternative other than to perform abdominal surgery/laparotomy. This was verified and confirmed by a Board Certified Veterinarian Specialist (i.e. a veterinarian who has acquired over 5 years additional training within their specialty field after graduating from the initial 8 years of formal education to become a veterinarian. I will always consult with specialists on more complicated cases.

As for the IV catherter piece, that according to Mr. Ohno was left in the surgical site, and subsequently (i.e. weeks post-operatively) vomited up, and that Mr. Ohno has claimed led to his dog's unfortunate death, I will respond. First, there is no reason to have this catheter piece (it is called a T-port and attaches the venous catheter to the intravenous fluid line) to be anywhere within the abdominal surgical site. So how would this ever be introduced into the stomach? And as Mr. Ohno states it was vomited up. Vomitus only comes from either within the stomach or upper intestinal tract, not the outside abdominal cavity area. So here is what Mr. Ohno is proposing....I had a nurse run out of the surgery suite, grab and open up a new T-port, then hand it to me and then it was popped into my open surgery site, then closed up the surgery!!??? Oh and by the way, as any veterinarian can attest to, these T-ports show up very radiodense (i.e.brightly) on a radiograph (x-ray). The veterinarian who Mr. Ohno went to after the dog's release from my care did follow-up radiographs and has directly stated to me that the post-operative radiograph showed no evidence of the said T-port. In addition and not to belabor the point, but any kind of plastic contained within the stomach would show some kind of decompensation due to the acidic content of the stomach. Mr. Ohno had presented and showed a photo of T-port in pristine condition (not to mention no chew marks).

That leads me to my next point. After Mr. Ohno called demanding millions of dollars and became extremely angry when I responded that although I sympathsize for him on the loss of his dog, there was no wrong doing on my part (once again my work on the case had been reviewed by a specialist) and I had no intention of paying him money. Mr. Ohno states that his demand for millions of dollars is also based on collaboration from the follow up veterinarian's comments and reports. When I personally followed up with the veterinarian in disbelieve to the claims, the veterinarian assured me of his finding of no T-port in his post-operative radiograph and that Mr. Ohno declined all medical care against the advise of the veterinarian.

I have never been in the unfortunate position of having to respond to such an attack on my character and reputation. It has become very evident that Mr. Ohno's ultimate goal is for financial gain and since that has not happened, his revenge is to ruin my reputation. Once again, I am proud and committed to my work in veterinary medicine and surgery. I have over 27 years of veterinary experience including the completion of a formal internship at the VCA West Los Angeles Veterinary Medical Group following my graduation from veterinary school (you can google it, the hospital is known as one of the finest referral practices in the country).

In closing, I would like to share that Mr. Ohno's post has been one of the most hurtful and heart wrenching experiences for me. However, I truly believe that these so called anonymous blogs need to be addressed and answered. Where did it become OK for someone to completely and without conscious attempt to ruin another individual at the very core, for their own gain? Sincerely, Scott Ivers, DVM, Crown Valley Animal Care Center, Laguna Niguel, CA.