Complaint Review: Custom Built Chimneys

• Reported By: Another victim of cbc — Shamokin Pennsylvania
Custom Built Chimneys
909 Quincy ave Scranton, Pennsylvania USA

Custom Built Chimneys Scammed 2 neighbors Scranton Pennsylvania

Custom built chimney 1-888-893-1998 did a house call to two elderly women who happened to be neighbors.  They advised that they would do a 50.00 cleaning.  Upon showing up, they advised the elderly women that they both needed a new lining system in their chimneys and it would cost 2800.00 per household.  Both women were frightened when the men told them if they didn't do this, carbon monoxide could invade the home and harm or kill them. They were told it would be crucial to do this ASAP and they could start the project as soon as the following Tuesday. They showed to do an estimate on Saturday, and planned to start the project tuesday.  It was a must that both women paid an 800.00 deposit.  One paid by check, the other by cash.  Both received receipts.  I was called by these women, (one is my mother, the other is my aunt). I reviewed the work and had a second estimate done by a local contractor.  My aunts house needed a lining system, which an estimate showed 1400.00.  My mothers house didn't require a liner, as everything was fine.  My aunt cancelled her check which prevented this outfit from cashing her deposit.  I called to cancel both women's scheduled work and no one returned my call until Monday night.

A gentleman by the name of Erik called me and said we should receive my mothers refund by Friday, 10-25 or Monday 10-28 at the latest.   Of course the refund has yet to be received and no calls have been returned.  I've been trying to reach these people for days.

It seems they prey on elderly people with minimal knowledge of this stuff.  They are quick to call you for service but lack customer service return calls, especially in the event of a refund.  They scare people in to their service for a quick buck. Anyone who knows this business, knows you wouldn't travel 1.5 hours to clean a chimney for 50.00.  Of course you look to upsell someone, here they got caught and now won't return money to a woman that doesn't have 800.00 to spare.  I will be contacting the magistrate, BBB and local news stations if these people dont return my mothers money by Friday November 1st.  She's waited long enough.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/30/2013 02:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Custom-Built-Chimneys/Scranton-Pennsylvania/Custom-Built-Chimneys-Scammed-2-neighbors-Scranton-Pennsylvania-1095795. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Custom Built Chimneys