Complaint Review: Cyber Defender

• Updated: Sun, October 14, 2012

• Reported By: lcmcnewlife11 — Bakersfield California United States of America
Cyber Defender

Cyber Defender Clean My PC Crashed my hard drive Internet

I purchased Cyber Defender in 2010. After downloading, installing and running the program everything was fine........until 3 days later when my master boot file couldn't be found and suddenly the blue "screen of death" appeared.

I took my laptop to a computer tech who was unable to get my computer up and running. He also tried running a program to see if he could recover any of the lost files. Out of all the files on my computer, only 5 were recoverable. Diagnosis: my hard drive crashed. A 2nd tech checked it, ran several scans and then another program to see if he could recover any of the lost files...no go. Same diagnosis as the first.

He asked if I recently downloaded any software programs. When I told him I downloaded Cyber Defender a few days prior, he shook his head and explained I'm not the first person who's had problems after installing their software. He suggested I read about them on the internet.

After I was able to get back to cyberspace, I read about Cyber Defender...the only good reviews came from the company itself. I contacted Cyber Defender. When I finally was able to speak to someone who could speak English well enough for us to understand each other, I explained my dilemma. The representative told me the problem was probably caused by a virus and their product wouldn't cause my computer to crash. I told him it did crash my computer and I wanted an immediate refund. He tried to sell me another program ("at a discount"....of course). I declined and demanded an immediate refund.

We went round and round for a few minutes before I asked to speak to a supervisor. I did speak with one and explained why I wanted a refund. She was very rude and condescendingly told me that they don't give refunds for the reason I gave. I replied that I made the purchase less than 1 week ago and according to their own TOS, refunds are given if requested within 30 days of the original purchase. She offered to give me an additional year's subscription "free" (....minus the cost of the techs' help and a new hard drive) if I opted not receive a refund; this I declined. After about 10 minutes of talking to her, she grudgingly conceded and told me I would receive a refund in 7-10 business days (it took a month). It took minutes for the charge to appear on my credit card but weeks for it to be refunded?! CYBER DEFENDER IS SYNONYMOUS WITH SCAM!!!

I spent over 2 hours on the phone with Cyber Defender, being transferred around, on hold and calling back when "the phone" hung up on me just so that I could get a refund on a useless and damaging product. I wish I knew back in 2010 this site existed. I've seen the internet and TV ads for "double my speed" and "my clean pc" and thought about trying them....until I read they're the offspring of Cyber Defender. RUN...DON'T WALK AS FAST AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM ANYTHING TO DO WITH CYBER DEFENDER!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/14/2012 10:13 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Cyber-Defender/internet/Cyber-Defender-Clean-My-PC-Crashed-my-hard-drive-Internet-954798. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Cyber Defender