Complaint Review: DCS

• Submitted: Sun, April 22, 2012
  • Updated: Sun, April 22, 2012

• Reported By: Srm — Tigard Oregon U.S.A.
DCS
1819 Nebraska Ave. Grants Pass, Oregon United States of America

DCS Diversified Collection Services. Calling for a neighbor, gave me his personal info, did NOT identify themselves as a collection agency Grants Pass, Oregon

*Consumer Comment: Good for you

I received a call the other day from someone who called for one of my neighbors.  My neighbor would not have ever given my number as a message number, so DCS had to have looked it up.  I have a business so I'm not able to have an unlisted number.

The caller identified himself as "Joseph Peterson" and said he was trying to reach my neighbor. He gave me my neighbors name and address and tried to get me to give him more personal information about him.  He said it's really important that he reach him.  Of course I refused to give him and information and didn't confirm that this person was my neighbor.

At no time did he tell me he was from a collection agency or that his call is an attempt to collect a debt.  I believe that it is required for collectors to make such a statement.

My caller I.D. displayed a local number but the call back number he gave me was 800-927-7667 x2132.

Now they have my name and address when they have no reason to have ever looked it up!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/22/2012 11:10 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DCS/Grants-Pass-Oregon-97527/DCS-Diversified-Collection-Services-Calling-for-a-neighbor-gave-me-his-personal-info-d-872101. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DCS

Good for you

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

This collector did a search on the address of the person he was collecting from (or attempting to). This is done quite often and they can get away with it because calls for the purpose of collecting a debt do not fall under the "DO NOT CALL LIST" laws in place.

I have had similar calls from a collector when someone I rented a house to owed some money. They also  did not identify themselves as a collector and I told them I saw no reason to take a message for someone that obviously did not want to receive their calls in the first place.

They do not identify themselves as collectors because by doing so they give the debtor an out since collectors have no other reasons to contact people for other than debts.