Complaint Review: DIRECT TV

• Submitted: Mon, December 31, 2012
  • Updated: Thu, January 03, 2013

• Reported By: Ken — Sun Lakes Arizona USA
DIRECT TV
Customer Service P.O. Box 6550. Greenwood Village, Colorado United States of America

DIRECT TV False Advertising Poor Record Keeping Greenwood Village, Colorado

*Consumer Suggestion: Direct TV gets a Clear Signal from Attorney General

*Consumer Suggestion: Direct TV gets a Clear Signal from Attorney General

DIRECT TV was and is advertising the basic Entertainment Package (140 Channels) for $29.99 a month for one TV and 12 months including a free DVR.  Supposed to save you $40.00 an month for the first year and $20.00 a month for the 2nd year.  Sounded like a good deal for one of our rental homes so we accepted the offer after receiving verbal verification that we wanted no extended warranties, we only wanted the DVR if it was really fee, and it was to hook up one television.  They told me that is how the order was is written.

When I received my contract there was no listing of a monthly charge but the first months payment was for $55.00+. I called and they told me my monthly payment would be $55.00+ a month. I asked what all the other charges were for and they provided this:

• YOUR PROGRAMMING SELECTION, SPECIAL OFFERS AND SERVICES

• Additional TV $0.00ENTERTAINMENT $54.99

• HBO STARZ SHOWTIME & CINEMAX $45.00

• Advanced Receiver $20.00

• Additional TV - 1 Client $6.00

• DIRECTV Protection Plan $0.0024 Mo

• First Bill*$55.99*Estimated first bill amount does not include sales tax, use or other taxes.YOUR

EQUIPMENT SELECTION

• Equipment Total$0.00ADDITIONAL

• Installation Fee $0.00

• Delivery & Handling Fee $19.95

• Tax $1.46 Order Total Paid**$21.41

I informed them that I explicitedly told them one TV and the DVR only if it was free.  I asked what happened to the $29.99 per month . . and they said while the DVR was free, they charged $20.00 per month for programming it.  And all of those other little hidden charges.

They said my monthly bill for the $29.99 Entertainment package would be $55.99 a month.

We told them to cancel the installation, cancel the order, and credit my credit card with the  $21.41 charge.

Now they say DIRECT TV keeps no records of cancellations or closed orders and they cannot provide me anything in writing showing the order was closed and card credited.

As they have done in the past, I fully expect them to start billing me the $55.99 even though I supposedly have no account, no satellite dish and no service.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/31/2012 11:18 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DIRECT-TV/Greenwood-Village-Colorado-80155-6550/DIRECT-TV-False-Advertising-Poor-Record-Keeping-Greenwood-Village-Colorado-989267. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DIRECT TV

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Direct TV gets a Clear Signal from Attorney General

AUTHOR: Squeeky Wheel - (United States of America)

There is some great information here:
http://atg.wa.gov/pressrelease.aspx?id=26982  If you cannot access the link, simply go to the Attorney General's website (State of Washington) and type in the search box: Direct TV

Also, Wikipedia has some disturbing information at their site about Direct TV's consumer affairs issues, i.e., that BBB had in recent years given Direct TV a D+...  Need I say more?  Perhaps we should all search our own state attorney generals' website for actions past, present or pending brought by consumers against Direct TV.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Direct TV gets a Clear Signal from Attorney General

AUTHOR: Squeeky Wheel - (United States of America)

If you are having problems with contract/transparency issues with Direct TV or any other similar service, read this settlement report against Direct TV (2010) which can be found at the Attorney General's website, State of Washington.  There is some great information here: