Complaint Review: DIRECT TV

• Updated: Fri, September 25, 2009

• Reported By: Angie — Durhamville New York USA
DIRECT TV
Directtv.com Internet United States of America

DIRECT TV Direct TV has charged my credit card without my knowledge or permission! Internet

I had disconnected my satellite service with Direct TV, paying my bill in full. They sent me an empty carton to return my equipment in, which I promptly did. A few days later $277 was taken from my checking account under the direct tv name.

I called and asked what it was for, and was told the equipment that I didn't send back. I explained that I just received the carton to return it and would do so promptly however they said I had 7 days from the day they sent me out the package to return it to them regardless of how long it took me to receive it, but "not to worry, I would get my money back as soon as they received the equipment".

Seven days after I sent the equipment out I called direct TV and asked about my refund. They said that they had just received my parcel the day before and it would take up to 60 days for my bank account to be credited. I explained that it didn't take 60 days for them to withdraw the money from my account and that I gave them the same seven days that they gave me, I should have the refund by now.

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau to which Direct TVs response was to rush my refund by 10 to 14 days, and an explanation that once I give them my credit card number I give them permission to charge it whenever they need to.

Just because a customer gives a credit card number to pay a bill (which is what I did on my last bill, direct tv did not just take it out of my account though they claim to have) it does not give the company the license to charge it whenever they feel a need. It is the customers responsibility to pay their bill and if they do not there are legal steps that need to be taken to collect and a companies laziness is no excuse to bypass these steps.

Charging someones credit card without their permission or knowledge is just plain sleazy, and anyone with half a moral compass knows it. It causes unnecessary financial hardship for your customers including multiple bank fees that would not have otherwise occurred. They are taking food off their customers plate and clothing off their backs when it is hard enough in these times of financial crisis for families to keep their heads above water.

CHARGES TO YOUR CREDIT CARD If the charge was to your credit card (not debit card, check card, or checking account), contact the credit card company as soon as possible to request a dispute form. Consumers usually have a little longer to dispute fraudulent credit card charges (up to 6 months), but it is better to act right away. In this type of situation, credit card disputes are usually successful since fraudulent companies often won't contest the disputed charge. In rare cases, credit card companies will review disputes, but refuse to reverse the charges. If this occurs, complain to a manager and let them know you will be filing a report here. Remember Don't let them get away with it! Make sure they make the Rip-off Report .. The more Reports filed on a Company or individual, the more likely it is that the authorities, media and attorneys will want to take action. And good luck Let us know how you do! ED Magedson Founder RipoffReport.com Author of www.ripoffrevenge.com Rip-off Report PO Box 310, Tempe, Arizona 85280

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/25/2009 03:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DIRECT-TV/internet/DIRECT-TV-Direct-TV-has-charged-my-credit-card-without-my-knowledge-or-permission-Inter-500578. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DIRECT TV