Complaint Review: DIRECTV

• Submitted: Tue, November 17, 2009
  • Updated: Tue, November 17, 2009

• Reported By: Bc — Fremont California U.S.A.

DIRECTV Bad Business... beware Direct TV trap... Giving incorrect information that lead me to pick DIRECTV as my TV provider, and now, I can't cancel it without penalty charge... Internet

A couple days ago, I called 800 378 4169 to ask some information about the international packages that DIRECTV was offering. A male Agent answered the phone and explained everything regarding international packages very clear, and he said I must also have at least a DIRECTV Basic Package or Preferred Choice package. I asked him if Preferred Choice package would have FOX News Channel (because I prefer to watch news on Fox more than any other channel)? He said gave him a minute to check it out. After a minute, he responded "yes that package had Fox News Channel."

At this point, I thought DIRECTV had an international package and Preferred Choice package that it had at least Fox News channel with a reasonable monthly rate that I could pay comparing to many other TV providers. So I decided to choose DIRECTV as my TV Provider with a BIG HAPPY SMILE.

Today, I tried to open FOX News Channels to watch news and realized that I must pay more to have it. I called 800 378 4169 to ask DIRECTV agent to ask the reason why. A different agent said according to my Preferred Choice package, it would not have Fox News Channel, unless, I would have to pay for an upgrade package, which meant I must pay more money to get Fox News Channel. I tried to explain to her that I chose DIRECTV provider just BECAUSE with that "monthly rate", I could have an international package and Preferred Choice package with "at least Fox News Channel" that I needed most, and this was not MY FAULT, she still could not help me out neither cancelled my order without penalty nor giving Me Fox News Channel without paying more money. When I asked her if there was some address that I could write a complaint, she said gave her some minutes to find it, and then said she only had the phone number and suggested me to call 800 531-5000 to complain. When I call 800-531-5000, another agent answered the phone and also suggested me to upgrade my package to get Fox News Channel.

"Pay more money to get an upgrade package, then you will have Fox News Channel." It sounded very simple, isn't it? Whose fault was it? Absolutely, not me. Now, I got TRAPPED with the 24-month contract with no way out without penalty. If the agent told me to pay more money to get Fox News before I agreed for the 24-month contract, I would go for a different TV provider that could provide me Fox News Channel and the similar international package with a cheaper rate.

The bottom line is DIRECTV did not care about how their agent did to get contract from customer. They didn't care how their customer felt when their customers was lied and trapped with the contract. They didn't care if their customer was willing or happy to sign another contract with them or not. They cared nothing about their customer after they got the contract...

If they let me cancel my contract without paying any penalty or giving me Fox News Channel like their agent said without paying any extra fee, I'm good. Otherwise, DIRECTV is really really BAD............

Houston, TX

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/17/2009 12:37 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DIRECTV/internet/DIRECTV-Bad-Business-beware-Direct-TV-trap-Giving-incorrect-information-that-lead-me-524912. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DIRECTV