Complaint Review: DISCOVER CARD

• Submitted: Fri, June 04, 2010
  • Updated: Fri, June 04, 2010

• Reported By: DJ — Elko Nevada U.S.A.
Salt Lake City, Utah United States of America

I've had my account with Discover for 8 years. I only use it for buying gasoline and on-line services since I understood debit cards offered no consumer protection from fraud, whereas credit cards did. HAHAHAHAHA... silly me.  When I was recently ripped off by Dermatage - which I have reported to ripoffreport - I filed a complaint with Discover card.  I even sent them the ripoffreport link to the site showing there are SEVERAL similar complaints against that company and I mentioned I was concerned about the fraudulent internet company continuing to charge my card.  Discover told me it would do no good to get a different card number.  I was left exposed to more fraud.  The company fraudulently charged me $90.00 for "trial" skin lotion. I was unable to contact them to return the product, etc. I explained all this to Discover in complete detail.  After a week of "intensive investigation", Discover told me there was no problem with the charge and it was my fault for not notifying the company I wanted to return the product. (Discover KNEW I had made a number of attempts to contact the company to obtain a return number, to no avail.)

I cited several law references concerning unusual practices resulting in consumer confusion, which is what dermatage is doing.  Discover basically said, TOUGH LUCK .. PAY UP!!  So, I told them there was no use in me having a separate credit card that wouldn't protect me against fraud and I told them cancel my account.  When I got the statement from them, it did have the fraudulent $90 charge I had disputed.  I went ahead and deducted the rewards $$ I had accumulated from the amount and paid the bill off in full.  AH-HA!!   I was informed by Discover that, when my account was closed, my rewards were deleted!!  INTERESTING, eh??  I said the charge I was paying for was made before the account was requested to be closed and the rewards had been accumulated prior to closure request.   TOUGH.   No doubt Discover will report me to the credit bureaus as a bad risk.  I think they are more upset because I always paid my account off in full and never paid them any interest.  STAY AWAY FROM DISCOVER CARD!!!  The credit card companies are the new "favored sons" of the bail outs, etc., and they are totally abusing their customers!!  I will probably not obtain another credit card since the turnaround time has shortened to about 15-20 days. The companies are attempting to force "customers" to pay via the internet.  Forget that!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/04/2010 10:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DISCOVER-CARD/Salt-Lake-City-Utah-84130/DISCOVER-CARD-DONT-COUNT-ON-CONSUMER-PROTECTION-FROM-THIS-COMPANY-AND-DONT-COUNT-ON-610549. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DISCOVER CARD