rank

• Reported By: GENE — ARCHBALD Pennsylvania United States of America
DISH NETWORK

DISH NETWORK PRICE GOUGING RIDICULOUS TERMINATION FEE. MAY BE ILLEGAL Internet

*UPDATE Employee: Gene

*Consumer Comment: Let us know when you file the lawsuit and the case number and jurisdiction...

*Author of original report: DISH NETWORK ....'SCAM'

*Consumer Comment: Bad advice given

*Consumer Comment: You weren't Ripped off...

*Consumer Suggestion: Justice can be had

I agreed via phone to have Dish Network installed at my home. After less than three weeks I was forced to cancel the service because it did NOT work. Just a slightest dusting of snow or a cloudy day would cause a loss of service. I was paying for a service that I wasn't getting. Dish Network also refused to send out a technition saying that service would return when the weather cleared. I live in the northeast where it always snows and I woud be without service most of the time. I told them to cancel after less than three weeks and they also 'refused' to send out some one to remove their equiptment and I was forced to climb up on the roof to get it down myself and mail it back to them. I was told a termination fee of $17.50 per month for two years would be charged.  Instead I was charged $873.86. This is totaly ourageous and should be considered price gouging and illegal. I also asked Dish Network to send me a contract several times and none was ever sent. This was a phone agreement. I now have damage to my roof and siding which I feel Dish Network should pay to repair. This is nothing more than a 'SCAM' by Dish Network and legal action should be taken against this company.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/28/2013 09:54 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DISH-NETWORK/internet/DISH-NETWORK-PRICE-GOUGING-RIDICULOUS-TERMINATION-FEE-MAY-BE-ILLEGAL-Internet-1004704. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DISH NETWORK

Gene

AUTHOR: Mike H. DISH - (USA)

Hi my name is Mike Houston a Social Media Representative at DISH. Thanks for alerting me to the service you have received. What can I do to help fix the situation? Would you e-mail me at michael.houston@dish.com for further assistance?

Let us know when you file the lawsuit and the case number and jurisdiction...

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

"I am contacting the Attorney Generals Office and a lawyer to see what legal action I can take."

I know, I'd like to follow the case.

When you asked dish why you were charged over $800 cancellation fee, what did they tell you....you DID ask, right. You must have just forgotten to post that.

Like I mentioned earlier, weather WILL affect ALL satellite TV service.  We usually watch movies we've recorded on our Dish DVR if it's out for more than a few minutes.

BTW, did Dish damage your roof and siding or did this occur when you removed their equipment?

DISH NETWORK ....'SCAM'

AUTHOR: GENE - (United States of America)

Yes I did read the contract which I just found online and it clearly states in bold letters: 'MAXIMUM TERMINATION FEE IS $420.'  So why should they be allowed to more than double it?  Also I am in my 60's and if you think my throwing a snowball at it to make it work every time it goes out that's just plain stupid. The service was out most of the time or I would not have had to cancel it in less than three weeks. I am not going to pay for a service that does not work properly. Dish Network also ' REFUSED' to send out a technition to check it saying that it will work when the weather clears. Totally unacceptable. Dish Network would NOT even come back to get their equiptment and I was forced to climb up on a roof to get it myself. I am contacting the Attorney Generals Office and a lawyer to see what legal action I can take.

Bad advice given

AUTHOR: Jusrin - (United States of America)

Nowhere does it say $800+ can be charged.  Even if they charge $17.50 that is twice the amount of an early termination fee. Don't listen to this "Ken" guy. He is wrong. Probably paid by Dish.

They might be able to force their contract but you also have the right to trouble free service. And you paid for a professional installation.  Damaging your home is not professionalism. Get some estimates and do exactly as I stated.  And dish can be beat in Court.

You weren't Ripped off...

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

When  you signed  up for Dish service, you agreed to a two year contract for them to recover equipment and installation costs. It spells out a pro-rated early cancellation penaltyyou did read this didnt you?

ALL satellite TV service will be disrupted in really bad weather.  We throw a snowball at our Dish when its covered in snow and it usually clears it up. Good luck with suing them in court, your contract is binding on you and them.

No, I DONT work for Dish, but am satisfied with their service. Im a charter customer and HAVE read my contract.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

Justice can be had

AUTHOR: Jusrin - (United States of America)

You CAN file a bill with your local County Grand Jury.  You should also notify your Attorney General for your state.

You, can file a criminal complaint.  If it sticks, some big fish will be residing in small quarters.  If it doesn't, Dish Network will have the privilege of sending its high-priced lawyers to defend its unethical practices.

Also, you can recover money damages in you local small claims court.  If we don't stop these scamsters now, they will continue to prey upon the average citizen, smugly assuming that no one will bother to do anything.  Don't let it slide!!